Author Topic: Sentinel is Borked, HeroStats not verifying  (Read 10881 times)

Scootertwo

• Underling
Sentinel is Borked, HeroStats not verifying
« on: May 18, 2012, 12:52:09 PM »
I downloaded the newest Sentinel and it causes the game to lock up, It also is not verifying badges when it does work. So Anyway I say to myself we will do this the hard way, and use Herostats and use their bindfile and stuff. HeroStats see all 1216 badges however only 1076 get sent to CIT, 140 badges will not verify from HeroStats to CIT. I have even gone as far as going through and finding and hand picking all the badges. This is also not working.

Either fix the massive memory leak in Sentinel or help figure out CIT is not accepting the badge data from HeroStats.

I can explain further the problem I am having with Sentinel.

problem 1) It wont show any of the Pictures I uploaded to CIT, yes I am logged in via Sentinel.

2) When it actually works, I use the /info Sentinel records the correct number of badges however will not update to CIT. and if I hit the send button it does nothing.

3) when it locks up, I try to keep anything I can running. so I open up Windows Task Manager, if I click on the processes tab it shows that my CPU usage is at 100%. and wouldn't you know the game is using about 50%, a couple other thing are using maybe 4-5% the rest is being used by TitanSentinel, 42-49%. I not a programmer but I do believe this is not working as intended.

At this point I am totally open to suggestions.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
Re: Sentinel is Borked, HeroStats not verifying
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 01:22:20 PM »
Sometimes, if you leave Sentinel open between gaming sessions, it will wander off somewhere in the weeds and lose its mind.  (Technically, it's not properly closing an open port.)  I've seen that off an on over the life of Sentinel.  Oddly enough, it seems to come and go with different game patches.

Your best bet is to always close Sentinel when you finish playing CoH.  When you do, check the task manager to make sure that it's not going crazy in the background after the window closes.  If it is, kill the process.

When you start a new session of CoH and open Sentinel again, it should behave.

If you have Sentinel open while logged in with a character for which you have uploaded a custom image on CIT and Sentinel isn't displaying the image, there's a good chance Sentinel isn't properly communicating with CIT.  That would be further supported by the fact that your badges don't all seem to be reporting to CIT properly.  It's possible if you've closed an old Sentinel and it didn't exit properly (and is eating processor in the background somewhere) that the old session is interfering with the new session's attempts to communicate with CIT.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Scootertwo

• Underling
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 02:09:30 AM »
I have restarted the computer, tried starting Sentinel both before and after logging into the game.

I have also gone into the task manager to make sure there are no different sentinel programs running in the background. at this point I am completely frustrated that this program is not working as intended.

:(

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 02:28:18 AM »
This may be entirely inconsequential, but what anti-virus program do you use?  We've had at least one issue with Avast blocking Sentinel from communicating with the CIT server with the web shield running no matter how many exceptions were added to let it through.

I think the CIT server is still able to field verification requests from HeroStats.  If I'm right about that, then it would seem like there's something in the configuration on your PC that's preventing verification (and loading your custom images) from working properly.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Scootertwo

• Underling
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 01:35:05 AM »
You nailed it, I suspended avast and it worked, thank you.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 02:08:29 AM »
I'm still disturbed by that.  I don't like telling people that they have to suspend their security programs to allow Sentinel to work properly, but there's nothing we can really do about that one on our end.  It's definitely an imperfect solution, but I'm glad we were able to at least figure out what the issue was and give you a workaround to get your badges verified.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

Fireheart

• Boss
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 01:49:20 AM »
I've had memory-leak issues with Zone Alarm, as well.

However, my main thought/suggestion here is to make sure you've registered an exception/window for Sentinel in both your Firewall and Anti-virus.  That Ought to prevent interference.

Be Well!
Fireheart

blue storm

• Boss
  • #savecoh
    • Freedom Academy
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 01:21:07 PM »
OK, jumping on that thread even though it may not matter much... but still :

There is no need to deactivate avast, just make sure that you create an exception for Titan Sentinel (ie: declare TitanSentinel.exe as an allowed process).

This should work (at least it worked on my Windows XP (32bits) and my Windows 7 64bits of Avast...
--

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 01:31:54 PM »
This should work (at least it worked on my Windows XP (32bits) and my Windows 7 64bits of Avast...
That would be good.  It didn't work when I was trying out Avast, but that was almost a year ago now and they may have improved the engine since.  Didn't matter how many exceptions I put into place for Sentinel, the web shield would block it unless I turned it off.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

blue storm

• Boss
  • #savecoh
    • Freedom Academy
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 08:35:22 PM »
just checked : on both my machines, I have TitanSentinel (full path to the exe needed) as excluded process
--