Author Topic: {{MeritCost}}  (Read 11796 times)

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
{{MeritCost}}
« on: December 23, 2011, 07:24:21 AM »
I'm proposing a new form of {{MeritCost}}. Instead of four (or more, in the future) different templates for costing recipes, how about one template that does it all? {{MeritBuy}} places each of the four templates into their own separate div. I currently have them in a single row but I was also playing with a single column that is right-aligned underneath the set icon. (I don't have an example to show for that style, so just use your brainmeats!)

example in use on an IO page
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
Re: {{MeritCost}}
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 08:18:19 AM »
I definitely like the idea of having a single template instead of four.

The current design looks a bit weird depending on browser size. When I visit the example page, the four divs each have a different height:

That's probably fixable. However, as you point out, the "four" can easily become "or more" in the future. There's not really room for any more boxes horizontally. So I'm fundamentally uneasy with this layout. Plus, I just don't think it really looks good beneath the other templates on the example page.

I'm having a hard time visualizing what you mean for the single column option. I guess my brainmeats are too tired right now. :)

I'll see if I can't come up with some suggestions for alternatives. Meanwhile I'd be interested in seeing an example of your alternate layout.

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 08:37:35 AM »
I think the {{ArcAward}} template uses a format that would work great for this. I worked up a demo here:
http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/User:Sekoia/Sandbox/MeritBuy

Note that my version doesn't have categorization -- but that's easy to add. (EDIT: I went ahead and added it.)

(Is this more or less what you meant for a single-column option Agge?)

Why not drop the "cost" part of the parameter names? That is, instead of:
{{MeritBuy|rewardcost=200|aligncost=2|astralcost=10|empcost=1}}
Why not just:
{{MeritBuy|reward=200|align=2|astral=10|emp=1}}
That's more concise and still is very clear.

We may also consider a different name. Maybe "RecipePurchase" or  "RecipeBuy". (I prefer RecipePurchase, but it's admittedly longer.) The template is specific to recipes, and for all we know the next currency might not be a Merit.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 07:43:53 PM by Sekoia »

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 10:54:10 AM »
Can't speak for her, but I think it's an improvement.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

taosin

• Boss
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 11:47:29 AM »
lovin' agge for proposing it, agree seems unwieldy in agge's example (sorry agge!) ; but that sek's iteration is very nice indeed and two thumbs up!

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 07:09:57 PM »
Yes, pretty much! Looks great. I was just playing around in an attempt to take up less vertical space, but that looks just as good.

Why not drop the "cost" part of the parameter names? That is, instead of:
{{MeritBuy|rewardcost=200|aligncost=2|astralcost=10|empcost=1}}
Why not just:
{{MeritBuy|reward=200|align=2|astral=10|emp=1}}
That's more concise and still is very clear.
That works for me.

We may also consider a different name. Maybe "RecipePurchase" or  "RecipeBuy". (I prefer RecipePurchase, but it's admittedly longer.) The template is specific to recipes, and for all we know the next currency might not be a Merit.
Like I said in the OP, I was suggesting this to be a new form of {{MeritCost}} - basically move MeritBuy over to MeritCost and then update the template calls - so that it would be {{MeritCost|reward=|align=|astral=|emp=}} (implementing your above parameter suggestion).
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 08:11:47 PM »
Like I said in the OP, I was suggesting this to be a new form of {{MeritCost}} - basically move MeritBuy over to MeritCost and then update the template calls - so that it would be {{MeritCost|reward=|align=|astral=|emp=}} (implementing your above parameter suggestion).

My concern stands, though. MeritCost isn't any better a name than MeritBuy for this template. As I said above, this template is specific to recipes; some kinds of merits can be used to purchase non-Recipe items (such as costume unlocks), and we can't use this template for things like that. Further, for all we know the next currency might not be called a Merit. So the name seems less than ideal on two counts. Perhaps RecipeCost?

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 08:17:26 PM »
Perhaps RecipeCost?

But you just said it's not always recipes. |-:

How about just {{vendor}}?

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 08:20:53 PM »

How about just {{vendor}}?
Vendor is a little ambiguous, but I would be good with VendorCost.

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 09:21:28 PM »

No, I said: "this template is specific to recipes". I said merits are not specific to recipes, but this template is. My point is that other uses of merits might not be specific to recipes. Thus, the template name is too general in that regard.

VendorCost also fails for that same reason. This isn't generically used for any and all vendor items. The template refers specifically and exclusively to recipes.

The only way I'd support generalizing the name is if we intend to generalize the template. Do we intend to use this template on non-recipes, despite it currently being hard-coded for them?

taosin

• Boss
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2011, 01:20:21 AM »
Agge: Instead of four (or more, in the future) different templates for costing recipes, how about one template that does it all?
Sek: Perhaps RecipeCost?
Sek: "this template is specific to recipes".

I'd go with RecipeCost, and indeed define this template to be for recipes!

Consider (please) including Paragon Points. Recipes are there now...

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2011, 05:22:27 AM »
Consider (please) including Paragon Points. Recipes are there now...

I added a Paragon Point option (pp=). However... Paragon Points do not actually buy the recipe. They buy an attuned, account-bound version of the enhancement. I made that distinction in my template.

I'm currently using the VIP logo for the Paragon Point line, which isn't appropriate. I would much rather use the shopping cart logo that is used in game for the store, but I couldn't find that on the wiki. Can anyone point me towards that? (Or can someone upload the icon, if it's not there?)

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2011, 07:38:50 AM »
I'm currently using the VIP logo for the Paragon Point line, which isn't appropriate. I would much rather use the shopping cart logo that is used in game for the store, but I couldn't find that on the wiki. Can anyone point me towards that? (Or can someone upload the icon, if it's not there?)

Shopping Cart Icon

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2011, 12:03:09 PM »

taosin

• Boss
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2011, 01:18:43 PM »
Wow, it is looking so very very nice, clear, useful and such.

One question? As the market sells sets of IOs as well (sometimes at saving of points), can this be addressed somehow (I guess on that set's page?) and if so how would it work?