Author Topic: CoH Comics  (Read 9673 times)

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
CoH Comics
« on: August 10, 2011, 05:21:39 PM »
I've decided to start working on the pages for the CoH comics.  I've done the first 6 Top Cow issues, let me know what you think of the format/layout/what have you.

If you want to add the synopsis (short summary with no spoilers) or the plot (full plot details) you can find the comics here: http://na.cityofheroes.com/en/media_and_downloads/official_comic_archive/comic_archive.php  Feel free to add characters/other missing info as well.

I hope to actually add all that stuff if others don't, but the more the merrier, right?

I do have a question about formatting: I've got the full plot as a hidden spoiler, but the comic infobox is so long that the "show" link is in the info box.  Any way to fix this?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 05:30:13 PM by Felderburg »
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
Re: CoH Comics
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 06:38:54 PM »
I do have a question about formatting: I've got the full plot as a hidden spoiler, but the comic infobox is so long that the "show" link is in the info box.  Any way to fix this?

I really wish I had a good answer to that question.  The only real answer I've ever been able to come up with is to avoid the collisions altogether by placing a {{clr}} tag before the hidden block.  This, however, can create some pretty big empty spaces.  It might be worth rearranging the article layout a bit to bump the plot to the bottom of the article.  You could then place the {{clr}} tag and minimize the amount of white space that results.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 07:49:20 PM »
Looks like I'll just end up moving the plot section down.

If anyone wants to muck around with the general format for the Comics pages, go here: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/User:Felderburg/Comics

Edit: I've updated my talk page with a list of all the comics, and their status as far as improvements go.

Would there be any support for a "notable quotes" section on each page?  What about images other than the cover (with speech bubbles whited out)?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 09:54:28 PM by Felderburg »
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

BattlerockX

• Minion
    • Battlerock Comics
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 11:41:59 PM »
Just FYI, there is a Wiki site out from the City of Comic Creators that has all of the CoH Comics listed and accessable, including as many fan-made comics that can be located.

Here's the address: http://cohcomicindex.com

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 01:31:50 AM »
Would there be any support for a "notable quotes" section on each page?  What about images other than the cover (with speech bubbles whited out)?
I was looking at your example earlier and I was thinking maybe the cover variant images might present better in gallery form (see the booster articles for examples).  I think you could do the same with any additional images you wanted to present and keep it well-formatted rather easily.

I don't think I see any problems with a section for notable quotes in each issue.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 01:56:37 AM »
eabrace: Yeah, the gallery is definitely something I would prefer to do, rather than the line of images down the side that currently exists.  As for additional images, I was thinking stuff that showcases a hero at the height of their power, or just cool shots (two page spreads for example), or anything especially notable.  We'll see though.

BattlerockX: thanks, good to know!  It looks like their synopses might be useful - what's the policy with outright copying them (I  imagine it would be frowned upon)?  Other than that, it seems they mostly just have covers with a link to the actual comic, whereas my goal is for Paragon to have a much more comprehensive look at the comics.

BattlerockX

• Minion
    • Battlerock Comics
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 05:17:08 PM »
BattlerockX: thanks, good to know!  It looks like their synopses might be useful - what's the policy with outright copying them (I  imagine it would be frowned upon)?  Other than that, it seems they mostly just have covers with a link to the actual comic, whereas my goal is for Paragon to have a much more comprehensive look at the comics.

Actually we've been archiving the comics on the site as well, which has been very helpful since one of our major sources had his domain expire.  And we've been working with some of the other previous creators to reconstruct their creations and archive them on CCC Wiki.  (Here's one example.)

In terms of copying, we link our character entries to Paragon Wiki or to the COH website whenever possible and try to give credit when doing direct copy-and-pasting.

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 05:14:16 AM »
I just discovered that the CoH comics are still available for download!! After seeing that the CoH Fansite kit is still available (ftp://ftp.coh.com/CoH_Fansite_Kit.zip) I went to the web archive of the comics: http://web.archive.org/web/20121003092910/http://na.cityofheroes.com/en/media-and-downloads/comic-archive/

Clicking on a comic takes you to an error page, since the wayback machine doesn't have the comics stored. But if you delete the archive URl stuff, you can get the comics!

So for Issue 15, you click and get: http://web.archive.org/web/20121003092910/ftp://ftp.coh.com/comics/topcow/comic_15.pdf

But if you change it to: ftp://ftp.coh.com/comics/topcow/comic_15.pdf you get the comic!

Unfortunately, just going to ftp://ftp.coh.com or ftp://ftp.cityofheroes.com don't yield anything for me, but maybe someone with more expertise can get a directory, or something, since it obviously still exists and is active?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 03:13:37 PM by Felderburg »

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2014, 05:30:14 PM »
Here's the listing of all files that were on ftp.coh.com as of 2012-09-24 when I took a snapshot:

ftp.coh.com/comics/blueking/bk_issue1.pdf
ftp.coh.com/comics/blueking/bk_issue10.pdf
ftp.coh.com/comics/blueking/bk_issue11.pdf
ftp.coh.com/comics/blueking/bk_issue12.pdf
ftp.coh.com/comics/blueking/bk_issue2.pdf
ftp.coh.com/comics/blueking/bk_issue3.pdf
ftp.coh.com/comics/blueking/bk_issue4.pdf
ftp.coh.com/comics/blueking/bk_issue5.pdf
ftp.coh.com/comics/blueking/bk_issue6.pdf
ftp.coh.com/comics/blueking/bk_issue7.pdf
ftp.coh.com/comics/blueking/bk_issue8.pdf
ftp.coh.com/comics/blueking/bk_issue9.pdf
ftp.coh.com/comics/promotional/coh_promo_issue.pdf
ftp.coh.com/comics/topcow/comic_01.pdf
ftp.coh.com/comics/topcow/comic_02.pdf
ftp.coh.com/comics/topcow/comic_03.pdf
ftp.coh.com/comics/topcow/comic_04.pdf
ftp.coh.com/comics/topcow/comic_05.pdf
ftp.coh.com/comics/topcow/comic_06.pdf
ftp.coh.com/comics/topcow/comic_07.pdf
ftp.coh.com/comics/topcow/comic_08.pdf
ftp.coh.com/comics/topcow/comic_09.pdf
ftp.coh.com/comics/topcow/comic_10.pdf
ftp.coh.com/comics/topcow/comic_11.pdf
ftp.coh.com/comics/topcow/comic_12.pdf
ftp.coh.com/comics/topcow/comic_13.pdf
ftp.coh.com/comics/topcow/comic_14.pdf
ftp.coh.com/comics/topcow/comic_15.pdf
ftp.coh.com/comics/topcow/comic_16.pdf
ftp.coh.com/comics/topcow/comic_17.pdf
ftp.coh.com/comics/topcow/comic_18.pdf
ftp.coh.com/interview.mp3
ftp.coh.com/interviews/positron_interview_8-10-06.mp3
ftp.coh.com/movies/Capes1_sm.mov
ftp.coh.com/movies/coh_720x405.wmv
ftp.coh.com/movies/coh_asia.mov
ftp.coh.com/movies/coh_asia.wmv
ftp.coh.com/movies/coh_cinematic_720.mov
ftp.coh.com/movies/CoH_Issue3_Kheldian_large.mov
ftp.coh.com/movies/CoH_Issue4_Arena_Trailer_large.mov
ftp.coh.com/movies/COH_Kronos_320.mov
ftp.coh.com/movies/COH-I11-NewPowers-1280.mov
ftp.coh.com/movies/COH-I11-NewPowers-1280.wmv
ftp.coh.com/movies/cov_I7_trailer_640.mov
ftp.coh.com/movies/cov_I7_trailer_640.wmv
ftp.coh.com/movies/grandville_720.mov
ftp.coh.com/movies/grandville_720.wmv
ftp.coh.com/movies/Hollows_sm.mov
ftp.coh.com/movies/I10_Teaser_Trailer_1280.mov
ftp.coh.com/movies/I10_Teaser_Trailer_1280.wmv
ftp.coh.com/movies/I12-MidnightSquad-1280.wmv
ftp.coh.com/movies/I12-Midnight-Squad-US-1280.mov
ftp.coh.com/movies/I12-VEAT-1280.wmv
ftp.coh.com/movies/I12-VEAT-US-1280.mov
ftp.coh.com/movies/i8_trailer_720.mov
ftp.coh.com/movies/i8_trailer_720.wmv
ftp.coh.com/movies/invention_tutorial.mov
ftp.coh.com/movies/invention_tutorial.wmv
ftp.coh.com/movies/issue10_trailer3_1280.mov
ftp.coh.com/movies/issue10_trailer3_1280.wmv
ftp.coh.com/movies/issue11_ouroboros_1280.mov
ftp.coh.com/movies/issue11_ouroboros_1280.wmv
ftp.coh.com/movies/issue9_trailer_720.mov
ftp.coh.com/movies/issue9_trailer_720.wmv
ftp.coh.com/movies/recluse_trailer_640.mov
ftp.coh.com/movies/recluse_trailer_640.wmv
ftp.coh.com/movies/Rikti_Warzone_FINAL_1280.mov
ftp.coh.com/movies/Rikti_Warzone_FINAL_1280.wmv
ftp.coh.com/movies/safeguard_720.mov
ftp.coh.com/movies/safeguard_720.wmv
ftp.coh.com/movies/veteran_rewards_720.mov
ftp.coh.com/movies/veteran_rewards_720.wmv
ftp.coh.com/movies/vr_wings_720.mov
ftp.coh.com/movies/vr_wings_720.wmv

And ftp.cityofheroes.com:

ftp.cityofheroes.com/CoH_Fansite_Kit.zip
ftp.cityofheroes.com/comic_contest/comic_contest_8baller.pdf
ftp.cityofheroes.com/comic_contest/comic_contest_strength.pdf
ftp.cityofheroes.com/comics/i12comic-final.pdf
ftp.cityofheroes.com/comics/topcow/comic_19.pdf
ftp.cityofheroes.com/comics/topcow/comic_20.pdf
ftp.cityofheroes.com/comics/valentine_english.pdf
ftp.cityofheroes.com/movies/coh_cinematic_720.mov
ftp.cityofheroes.com/movies/COV_2005_CGT.mov
ftp.cityofheroes.com/movies/COV_2005_CGT.wmv
ftp.cityofheroes.com/movies/COV_CG_Trailer_720.mov
ftp.cityofheroes.com/movies/I10_Teaser_Trailer_1280.mov
ftp.cityofheroes.com/movies/I12-VEAT-US-1280.mov
ftp.cityofheroes.com/movies/us/COH_DV01_US.flv
ftp.cityofheroes.com/movies/us/COH_DV01_US_1280.mov
ftp.cityofheroes.com/movies/us/COH_DV01_US_1280.wmv
ftp.cityofheroes.com/movies/us/COH_DV02_ESRB_720p.wmv
ftp.cityofheroes.com/movies/us/COH_DV02_ESRB_H264_720p.mov
ftp.cityofheroes.com/movies/us/COH_DV03_ESRB.flv
ftp.cityofheroes.com/movies/us/COH_DV03_ESRB_720p.wmv
ftp.cityofheroes.com/movies/us/COH_DV03_ESRB_H264_720p.mov
ftp.cityofheroes.com/movies/us/COH_DV04_ESRB.flv
ftp.cityofheroes.com/movies/us/COH_DV04_ESRB_720p.wmv
ftp.cityofheroes.com/movies/us/COH_DV04_ESRB_H264_720p.mov
ftp.cityofheroes.com/movies/us/COH_GR_ICNFlythrough_720p.flv
ftp.cityofheroes.com/movies/us/COH_GR_ICNFlythrough_720p.mov
ftp.cityofheroes.com/movies/us/COH_GR_ICNFlythrough_720p.wmv
ftp.cityofheroes.com/movies/us/COH_LaunchTrailer_ESRB.flv
ftp.cityofheroes.com/movies/us/COH_LaunchTrailer_ESRB_720p.wmv
ftp.cityofheroes.com/movies/us/COH_LaunchTrailer_ESRB_H264_720p.mov
ftp.cityofheroes.com/movies/us/COH_PartyPack_Trailer_Final_ESRB.flv
ftp.cityofheroes.com/movies/us/COH_PartyPack_Trailer_Final_ESRB_1280.mov
ftp.cityofheroes.com/movies/us/COH_PartyPack_Trailer_Final_ESRB_1280.wmv
ftp.cityofheroes.com/movies/us/PraetoriaZoneTour_720p.flv
ftp.cityofheroes.com/movies/us/PraetoriaZoneTour_720p.mov
ftp.cityofheroes.com/movies/us/PraetoriaZoneTour_720p.wmv

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2014, 07:01:53 PM »
Have all these been downloaded? Because the few I tried still work! They should be downloaded, stat!

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2014, 05:35:31 AM »
I downloaded them all back in September 2012. They're way big to put up on the Titan server though. Just those files alone are 9.81 GB; add in the rest of the data I have from CoH websites excluding the forums and the size goes up to 18.5 GB. Add in the archival (text only) version of the forums for another ~5-10 GB. Then add in another 60 GB in media from Twitch.TV, Ustream, and YouTube. That's a total of well over 80 GB of data. (And since I actually have snapshots of some of it taken from multiple days, the directory that contains it all actually totals a whopping 184 GB.)

So I guess the question I would counter with is... why should they be downloaded, stat? If you just want to make sure somebody, somewhere has them then yes, I've got that covered. If you're trying to make sure they remain available to the world at large, then that's just not feasible unless you know someone with tons of space and bandwidth (on a web host that won't object to you hosting massive amounts of copyrighted data without permission).

Even if you're just after the comics, that's 248 MB total. But I wouldn't upload them to Paragon Wiki. It's a wiki site, not a data archival site. If we start uploading stuff like that, it could easily snowball into using up the space we have.

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2014, 02:38:28 PM »
So I guess the question I would counter with is... why should they be downloaded, stat? If you just want to make sure somebody, somewhere has them then yes, I've got that covered.

Even if you're just after the comics, that's 248 MB total. But I wouldn't upload them to Paragon Wiki. It's a wiki site, not a data archival site. If we start uploading stuff like that, it could easily snowball into using up the space we have.

Well all right then. That's all - just making sure they're archived somewhere that most likely won't be removed by the whims of a corporation. I have all the comics and the fansite kits downloaded, but I don't know how to access a file listing like that, otherwise I would have tried to download all the things.

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2014, 03:25:27 AM »
Are the comics canon??? According to an answer in this Canon Fodder, maybe? http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Canon_Fodder/2009-06-17

Quote from: Manticore (Dev)
So...where is the lore? It's all around you in contact and NPC dialogue, missions and story arcs, world and holiday events, Strike and Task Forces, our Dev Diaries and web fiction, comics and novels, and more. There are also great fan resources for lore and although I can't vouch that they are 100% accurate or canon, I can give a shout out to places like Paragon Wiki and Red Tomax's Guide. So start digging...the lore is out there!

I mean, really, by saying "the lore is in the comics and other stuff", and then directly referencing other places as "not necessarily 100% canon", that is a HUGE implication that they are!

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2014, 03:15:13 AM »
Are the comics canon??? According to an answer in this Canon Fodder, maybe? http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Canon_Fodder/2009-06-17

I mean, really, by saying "the lore is in the comics and other stuff", and then directly referencing other places as "not necessarily 100% canon", that is a HUGE implication that they are!

I'd say that, yes, the comics are canon, with an asterisk that they may need to be massaged a bit to fully mesh with other material that came out later.

So, then, how about this? ;)

1. I said I would do a revamp of the comic book pages, and while I made a good start, that's not done. Even if I didn't edit anything else, I'd still have to do that, by golly! (And I will. I swear. No really, it'll happen. For sure.)

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2014, 08:59:32 PM »
I did look at more Canon Fodder after posting that, and noted that a later answer says they are "secondary sources".

I've started school up again, and have fallen behind on my wiki editing. I go through spurts of desire to do it.