Author Topic: Alignment Merits  (Read 2666 times)

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
Alignment Merits
« on: March 20, 2011, 10:17:31 PM »
I would like some lists on the Alignment Merits page that specify how much a certain recipe costs, similar to the drop pools on the Recipe Drop Pools page. However, we only have "No Alignment Merit Purchase" category, so it is impossible to simply say "category=CATEGORY NAME HERE" in a DPL call. I suppose we could add the appropriate categories, but that is a lot of clutter that we could avoid with a different structure.

I have been fiddling with the DPL calls from the drop pools page, the invention origin enhancement sets page, and from the invention salvage list templates, but I can't seem to get it to work and separate out the uses of {{AlignmentMeritCost}} by the number used.

My list suggestion would be something like this:

== Recipe Costs ==
=== 1 Alignment Merit ===
{{#dpl: format=,\n:*[[%TITLE%]]
|columns=3
|allowcachedresults=true
|etc etc etc }}
[3 column text list, with bullets]

=== 2 Alignment Merits ===
[dpl 3 column list]

=== 20 Alignment Merits ===
[dpl 3 column list]

=== 30 Alignment Merits ===
[dpl 3 column list]

=== [other headers as necessary] ===
[dpl 3 column lists]

=== Cannot Be Purchased ===
[dpl 3 column list]

(if we could do this with fewer DPL calls that would be awesome)
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
Re: Alignment Merits
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 10:42:54 PM »
I think it'd be a lot easier to include a category on those pages and filter by category. You can hide a category from showing on the article pages if you're worried about cluttering the article, see Hidden Categories.

We might be able to do it without categories. But it would require us to jump through a lot of hoops. We'd have to include the text that includes the "{{AlignmentMeritCost|1}}" or whatnot, so that we can then filter using that text, except we'd then need to avoid displaying that text somehow. (We can only filter based on text we're going to display.) We might find a way to do it, but honestly, it'd be very confusing and would require some odd template magic and would probably be less efficient than just creating hidden categories.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 03:21:18 AM »
I think it'd be a lot easier to include a category on those pages and filter by category. You can hide a category from showing on the article pages if you're worried about cluttering the article, see Hidden Categories.
...what the duck, I totally didn't remember you could do that. I mean, probably somewhere in the back of my brain, I knew it was an option, but duh.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

taosin

• Boss
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 01:59:01 PM »
Hmm, I do not think there is a list of the Merit Vendor cost for recipes either.

Could the list showing Alignment Merit cost be combined with Merit Vendor cost?

And could the list you're considering include the recipes not available for purchase with Alignment Merits (but are available for purchase with reward merits)?

The Alignment merit cost is based on the merit vendor cost for many recipes:
Recipe costing 100-199 reward merits = 1 alignment merit cost
Recipe costing 200-299 reward merits = 2 alignment merit cost
etc.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 02:23:24 PM »
Was just taking a quick look at this and wondering if this would work:

* add category of [[Category: Reward Merit Purchase]] to the MeritCost template in order to lump all pages using that template into a single category for Reward Merit purchases

* add category of [[Category: Alignment Merit Purchase]] to the AlignmentMeritCost template in order to lump all pages using that template into a single category for Alignment Merit purchases

* use __HIDDENCAT__ on both Category: Reward Merit Purchase and Category: Alignment Merit Purchase pages

* use DPL to parse all pages belonging to Reward Merit Purchases category in order to generate list of Reward Merit purchases

* use DPL to parse all pages belonging to Alignment Merit Purchase category in order to generate list of Alignment Merit purchases

That sound like something we could pull off?
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov