Author Topic: Categories for Tip Missions  (Read 4461 times)

taosin

• Boss
Categories for Tip Missions
« on: February 19, 2011, 08:42:02 AM »
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 11:57:12 AM by taosin »

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
Re: Categories for Tip Missions
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 05:07:26 PM »

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 05:22:20 PM »
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 05:28:15 PM by Aggelakis »
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 05:41:04 PM »
I disagree once again. The majority of people (including me and a brief poll of about ten other players) will look for Dagger of Caernoz, not The Dagger of Caernoz.

Well, that's what redirects are for. What's on the wiki, however, should match what's in the game, not what we prefer it be called. The "the" needs to stay.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 05:47:48 PM by GuyPerfect »

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 06:16:17 PM »
http://paragonwiki.com/w/index.php?title=Special:PrefixIndex&prefix=The+&namespace=0

We have lots of "The __" articles and none of them currently categorize without the "The". Let's not start stripping it off for missions. That would be confusing, IMO.

If someone's looking for "Dagger of Caernoz", they'll be typing it into the search box, not going to a category page. So Agge, your argument wouldn't seem to apply.

I agree that pages should only get categorized in the deepest applicable category and I like the tree Agge laid out.

taosin

• Boss
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 01:34:20 AM »
Excellent!

I'll start using the tree as described abiove and go over and classify existing tip missions.

- Tip Missions
--- Alignment Missions
----- Hero Alignment Missions
----- Vigilante Alignment Missions
----- Rogue Alignment Missions
----- Villain Alignment Missions
--- Morality Missions
----- Hero Morality Missions
----- Vigilante Morality Missions
----- Rogue Morality Missions
----- Villain Morality Missions

Noting I can't tell by looking at least one of the missions what they are for ([urlhttp://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Mission:Tip_-_Whispered_Rumor]Whispered_Rumor[/url])

Will be interesting too see a dpl page thingie as mentioned above. In general I'll look at the Tip and Alignment pages and judiciously put links in to these categories where I think it may be useful.

And noted: no stipping off of "The"    :)

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 06:26:08 AM »
Whispered Rumor was for the Halloween event 2010. Beyond that, I'm not sure because I wasn't playing the game at the time and the Halloween 2010 page is somewhat lacking in details.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 01:59:22 PM »
The Whispered Rumor tip was dropped while Trick-Or-Treating.  It's available to all alignments.  The Hero/Vigilante mission would trigger if you activated the tip in a Hero zone and the Villain/Rogue tip would trigger if you activated the tip in a villain zone.

If I recall correctly, the only thing affected by the choices you made in the mission was the reward granted at the end of the mission.  The mission was not part of the alignment system and had no effect on alignment points or public fame.

We may need a category at the same level as Alignment Missions and Morality Missions for this.  Perhaps Special Event Missions?
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 04:23:10 PM »
I recommend "Event Tip Missions". There are other non-tip event missions, so "Special Event Missions" wouldn't be able to be cleanly categorized under "Tip Missions".

We could also create a category "Event Missions" for all event missions, and make "Event Tip Missions" a subcategory of that as well. Then other kinds of events can go in other subcategories.

taosin

• Boss
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 08:24:51 AM »
Just on this, how exactly do I create a catagory that is a sub-category of another?

Is it just a question of adding the subcategory to their parent's category page?

And is there any way to view category trees 'at a glance'?

TIA!

Zombie Man

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 09:39:16 AM »
Just on this, how exactly do I create a category that is a sub-category of another?

Is it just a question of adding the subcategory to their parent's category page?

And is there any way to view category trees 'at a glance'?

TIA!

While Categories can be 'tree-ed', the beauty of them (and the chaos of them) is that they can have circular and criss-crossing references. Every page that fits a certain category gets tagged with that category even including pages that list all the pages that belong to a certain category. We basically are creating our own index.

Take for example this page: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Category:Standardized_Text_Templates

It lists all the pages tagged with [[Category:Standardized Text Templates]]. Included are 'subcategories' which are simply other Category listing pages also tagged with [[Category:Standardized Text Templates]]. So, if you click on the subcategory Alignment Templates you'll see that Category Page which an editor tagged with [[Category:Standardized Text Templates]].

That page is also tagged by the parent Category: Templates.

So, for the Tip categorization, every Tip mission should get the Tip Category tag. Tips which are Alignment Missions get the Alignment Category tag. Tips which are Morality Missions get the Morality Missions Tag. The Alignment Missions Category Page and the Morality Missions Category Page should also get the Tip Category Tag so they show up as subcategories on the Tip Mission Category page. And so on..

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 05:22:45 PM »
So, for the Tip categorization, every Tip mission should get the Tip Category tag. Tips which are Alignment Missions get the Alignment Category tag. Tips which are Morality Missions get the Morality Missions Tag.
No, as stated above: Tip Missions should get the deepest category available, not every single category in the tree.

A hero/vigilante alignment mission should get [[Category:Hero Alignment Missions]] and [[Category:Vigilante Alignment Missions]]. A villain/rogue morality mission should get [[Category:Villain Morality Missions]] and [[Category:Rogue Morality Missions]].

Other categories may be added as applicable (e.g. Event Tip Missions, Alignment Badge Missions, etc.)

The Alignment Missions Category Page and the Morality Missions Category Page should also get the Tip Category Tag so they show up as subcategories on the Tip Mission Category page. And so on..
This is true.

Because Category:Hero Alignment Missions is tagged with [[Category:Alignment Missions]], that means anything tagged with [[Category:Hero Alignment Missions]] is already tagged with Category:Alignment Missions by virtue of the category tree. (And so on.)

-----

To create new categories, just tag an article with them at the bottom, then follow the redlink and put in the appropriate parent category.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 05:28:17 PM by Aggelakis »

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 05:35:08 PM »
Zombie Man has a point that the category system on Mediawiki makes it possible to break out of just trees and interconnect categories in much more complicated, richer ways. However, the fact remains, most of our categorization is fairly hierarchical in nature. Sometimes the trees cross or interleave, but they still are generally trees, and most of our articles generally end up in "leaf" categories, not "branch" categories.

More specifically, our organization patterns for similar subject material (such as contacts) is very much tree-like. Articles often end up in multiple leaf categories, but typically not in leaf categories and every category up the branches as well. This approach has worked well and I suggest we continue that here.

Zombie Man

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 09:47:54 PM »
I'm sure there are times to enforce a strict hierarchical tree structure, e.g., when the members of a category gets too large (in the hundreds or thousands) and they need to be grouped up.

But Category fields provide not only a hierarchical tree structure, the also provide a different was to sort items.

E.g., in the ParagonWiki, every IO Enhancement is already tagged with "Invention Set Enhancements". That's close to 800 pages tagged with the same Category. They're *also* tagged with other categories such as: Global Invention Enhancements | Unique Invention Enhancements | Random Rare Recipe Roll | etc... so that they show up in different lists. It is definitely not a hierarchical tree.