Author Topic: {{wip}} thoughts, musings and hopefully dialogue  (Read 12437 times)

taosin

• Boss
{{wip}} thoughts, musings and hopefully dialogue
« on: January 25, 2011, 03:20:27 AM »
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 03:26:45 AM by taosin »

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
Re: {{wip}} thoughts, musings and hopefully dialogue
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 03:35:10 AM »
Archvillain: there is no missing details that I can see. Removed wip.
Ian: it's not a wip, it's a stub. Removed wip, added stub.

You can change the designation from wip to stub if you feel it's not actually "WIP" and more "stub" (missing significant information/formatting).

Regarding expansion of wip/stub, I think it's a good idea.

For an example, [http://www.wowpedia.com Wowpedia] has "item stub" "quest stub" "NPC stub", etc., etc., along with similar "wip" categories/templates. I wouldn't recommend their zillions of templates with fancy images and stuff to do something so simple (each of the above items have their own separate template!). I would more recommend a single wip template and a single stub template, with #if or #switch formatting.

Examples:

{{wip|item|REASON}} would put PAGENAME (automatically filled in) in the "Item Works In Progress" category with "REASON" as the reason in the article's "header flag"
or
{{stub|NPC|REASON}} would put PAGENAME (automatically filled in) in the "NPC Stubs" category with "REASON" as the reason in the article's "header flag")

This makes it fairly simple to add new wip/stub "types" without creating the huge amounts of chaff that Wowpedia has (they have ***23*** unique stub templates!)
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

taosin

• Boss
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 03:46:55 AM »
You can change the designation from wip to stub if you feel it's not actually "WIP" and more "stub" (missing significant information/formatting).

Can you clarify my understanding here? I'm assuming that in some cases a stub is fine and complete and nothing more needs to be added for an entry to be complete. Examples would be various non-contact NPCs and also "Lots of High Explosives" and other simple things that are psuedo-contacts (which became more common with the rlelease of Going Rogue).

So if a stub is complete with all required information, does it still require the {{stub}} tag?

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 04:17:10 AM »
Nope.  If the article is complete, the {{stub}} can be removed.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 04:54:59 AM »
So I am thinking a wip audit might be useful? Going through all the wip pages and removing the wip tag wherever appropriate.

WIP and Stub both tend to linger on articles long past the point where they're no longer needed. Please do feel free to remove {{wip}} and {{stub}} where you think they're no longer appropriate. If someone else disagrees with you, then a discussion can start to figure out *why* the wip or stub is necessary.

There's also examples of pages that are missing significant content and don't have any marker or tag on them. For example, I just played through and documented many missing missions for Maxwell Christopher; he didn't have a wip tag but wow a lot of content was missing.

Sometimes, it's not clear that content is missing. You can't necessarily tell by looking that a contact is missing missions, so it may not have been realized that WIP was needed. Feel free to add the tag when you come across such cases. :)

I did some extensive changes to {{wip}} and its related category. I added a date= option, though it won't work for existing articles unless you go add it. I also added a note= option. You can see how these are put to use in the category page.

I don't think we need to subcategorize. The notes on the category page will probably be sufficient. In any case, I think we should start there (adding notes/dates and cleaning up) and see where it takes us.

If these changes are liked, I can apply similar to the {{stub}} template. If they're hated... well, they can be reverted. ;)

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 05:13:07 AM »
Can you clarify my understanding here? I'm assuming that in some cases a stub is fine and complete and nothing more needs to be added for an entry to be complete. Examples would be various non-contact NPCs and also "Lots of High Explosives" and other simple things that are psuedo-contacts (which became more common with the rlelease of Going Rogue).

So if a stub is complete with all required information, does it still require the {{stub}} tag?
As I said (note emphasis):
You can change the designation from wip to stub if you feel it's not actually "WIP" and more "stub" (missing significant information/formatting)
A. "WIP" means there's editing comments, incomplete sections; there's still information to be added/updated/removed.
B. Stub means the article can stand alone (all the basic details are there), but is not actually complete (whatever minutiae applies is not there).

From here marks how I have been working:

1. If something is marked with {{wip}} but is no longer actually "in progress", can stand alone, but is not actually complete, you can change it to {{stub}}.
1a. If it still has editing comments, don't remove wip unless you clean out the comments (preferably by fixing what the comments are calling on :) )
1b. {{Missing}} and the various {{Missing ...}} (Missing Store, Missing Too Low Level, etc) don't count against removing stub unless there's way too much missing to be considered "complete".

2. If something is marked with {{stub}} but has a lot of editing comments, remove stub and add wip.
2a. Or fix what the comments are calling on. Can remove stub if the results make a complete article.

3. If something is complete (not missing significant information/formatting), you can remove wip or stub, as applicable. After all, it's neither a work in progress, nor is it a stub.

4. For completeness sake (I'm sure you know this already): Never use both stub and wip on the same article.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 05:22:42 AM by Aggelakis »
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

taosin

• Boss
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 08:25:29 AM »
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 08:35:19 AM by taosin »

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 06:29:24 PM »
Hmm... DPL says Agge will want to visit these articles. :)
Visited and fixed. :p

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 06:33:56 PM »
I added a date= option, though it won't work for existing articles unless you go add it.
I have a suggestion that I played around with but couldn't get figured out how to do.

For the date option, have the default be {{subst:today}} if you leave date= out of the template? That way its current functionality is maintained, where you simply slap {{wip}} on the article, but is expanded with the optional use of date= to mark a specific date in the past and note= to give a reason why it's wip.

(Same with stub if it gets updated.)

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2011, 06:49:18 PM »
I have a suggestion that I played around with but couldn't get figured out how to do.

For the date option, have the default be {{subst:today}} if you leave date= out of the template? That way its current functionality is maintained, where you simply slap {{wip}} on the article, but is expanded with the optional use of date= to mark a specific date in the past and note= to give a reason why it's wip.

(Same with stub if it gets updated.)

Let me rephrase what I think you're saying to make sure I understand:
  • Let existing articles with {{wip}} render without mention of the missing date.
  • Support adding date= on existing articles to put in an specific date in the past.
  • If I add {{wip}} to a new article, automatically use today's date without manually supplying the date= option.
If I've understood you correctly... then no, it's not possible.

"subst:" simply replacing a template call with its current value. So whenever you save an article with {{subst:today}} in it, it'll save as "2011-01-25" instead of "{{subst:today}}". So if we put {{subst:today}} in the template somewhere, it'll get stuck on the date when it was added. If we put {{today}} in, it'll always show today's date. Basically what you're asking the template to do is automatically change {{wip}} to {{wip|date=2011-01-25}} when you save it into the page the first time. There's no mechanism for that.

So basically, we need to decide how important the date field is. If it's something we want to strongly encourage, then we should include a notice in the box when it's added encouraging people to supply the date. If we don't want to have that notice, then we should be prepared to accept that the date will often not be provided.

Alternately, I could have my bot chew through all instances of {{wip}} and fix them somehow. I could tweak the template so that date=0000-00-00 results in the date line being suppressed; that'd also let the old instances sort well in the DPL output. Then we could keep the "include the date" notice in new uses of the template. When/if we phase out all instances of 0000-00-00, that special case can be dropped. Thoughts?

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2011, 06:50:32 PM »
For the date option, have the default be {{subst:today}} if you leave date= out of the template?

That part would be pretty simple.  You could just change this part:

Code: [Select]
{{{date|No date specified. <span style="font-size: 75%">(Use <nowiki>date={{subst:Today}}</nowiki> to specify today, or date=YYYY-MM-DD to specify an arbitrary date.)</span>}}}
To this:

{{{date|{{subst:Today}}}}}
But you'd lose the note about the WIP needing a date in existing templates that don't have dates.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2011, 07:00:46 PM »
Could we borrow from the {{welcome}} template?  We use the ~~<noinclude></noinclude>~~ to keep it from parsing the signatures before substitution.  Any way to do that with the {{today}} template or maybe with the ~~~~~ date?
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2011, 07:05:46 PM »
Let me rephrase what I think you're saying to make sure I understand:
  • Let existing articles with {{wip}} render without mention of the missing date.
  • Support adding date= on existing articles to put in an specific date in the past.
  • If I add {{wip}} to a new article, automatically use today's date without manually supplying the date= option.
If I've understood you correctly... then no, it's not possible.

"subst:" simply replacing a template call with its current value. So whenever you save an article with {{subst:today}} in it, it'll save as "2011-01-25" instead of "{{subst:today}}". So if we put {{subst:today}} in the template somewhere, it'll get stuck on the date when it was added. If we put {{today}} in, it'll always show today's date. Basically what you're asking the template to do is automatically change {{wip}} to {{wip|date=2011-01-25}} when you save it into the page the first time. There's no mechanism for that.
Yes, and drat.

So basically, we need to decide how important the date field is. If it's something we want to strongly encourage, then we should include a notice in the box when it's added encouraging people to supply the date. If we don't want to have that notice, then we should be prepared to accept that the date will often not be provided.

Alternately, I could have my bot chew through all instances of {{wip}} and fix them somehow. I could tweak the template so that date=0000-00-00 results in the date line being suppressed; that'd also let the old instances sort well in the DPL output. Then we could keep the "include the date" notice in new uses of the template. When/if we phase out all instances of 0000-00-00, that special case can be dropped. Thoughts?
I don't think the date of the really old wip articles is very important at all. Most of them are so old that their wip dates are fairly irrelevant. Sending the bot after non-date= instances of wip sounds like a good way to update the existing templates while still allowing an update to the wip template to function, by default, as if supplying the use date's day, e.g. {{wip|date={{subst:Today}}}}, using Eabrace's suggestion re: Welcome.

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2011, 08:12:42 PM »
That part would be pretty simple.  You could just change this part:

{{{date|No date specified. <span style="font-size: 75%">(Use <nowiki>date={{subst:Today}}</nowiki> to specify today, or date=YYYY-MM-DD to specify an arbitrary date.)</span>}}}
To this:

{{{date|{{subst:Today}}}}}
But you'd lose the note about the WIP needing a date in existing templates that don't have dates.

If you did this, the template would be hard coded to always display 2011-01-25 as a default for the date. This isn't what we want.

Could we borrow from the {{welcome}} template?  We use the ~~<noinclude></noinclude>~~ to keep it from parsing the signatures before substitution.  Any way to do that with the {{today}} template or maybe with the ~~~~~ date?

That only works because we're subst'ing welcome, as {{subst:welcome}}. When you do that, the user's page doesn't contain {{welcome}} anymore, it contains the whole welcome text.

The equivalent here would be {{subst:wip}}, which isn't at all what we want. That wouldn't put {{wip}} in the page. It'd put the whole block of code that the {{wip}} template contains into the page. That'd be a huge mess.

We could create a new template {{addwip}} or something that we use as {{subst:addwip}} which spits out {{wip|date={{subst:today}}}}. (I'm not sure we can do the welcome subst trick on a template call containing a subst, but let's assume for the moment we can.) But that won't stop people from using {{wip}}.  I suspect {{subst:addwip}} will be forgotten and the date will still get omitted more often than not. And really, is "{{wip|date={{subst:today}}}}" (or doing it manually {{wip|date=2011-01-25}} etc.) so much harder to copy/paste or remember than "{{subst:addwip}}"? And if you forget it, the template currently will remind you.

Tonight when I get home from work, I'll update the template to suppress the date line for 0000-00-00 and sic my bot to update all the old instances of {{wip}}.

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2011, 05:36:15 PM »
The date= option on {{wip}} just isn't being used. Sometimes it's omitted, but it's also common for people to dummy it out with date=0000-00-00 (which frankly astonishes me; is it really that much harder to put in the actual date instead of a dummy one?).

Either we need to start poking people with sticks and insisting they put the dates in when they use wip, or we need to just drop the date= option from {{wip}}. If it's not going to be widely used, then there's really no point in having it at all.

Personally, I don't much feel like poking people with sticks and am doubtful that it would really change habits long-term, so I'm inclined to just remove date=.

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2011, 10:28:28 PM »
Personally, I don't much feel like poking people with sticks...

Get me some addresses, I've got a full tank of gas and some really sharp sticks.

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2011, 12:21:23 AM »
Look through the page listing at Category:Work in Progress. Any article that had {{wip}} added to it after January 2011 should have a real date, but many do not. It's hard to determine exactly how many that is, since you have to browse through article histories to determine when the {{wip}} tag was added.

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2011, 12:48:24 AM »
I know that I used to put the date in only if the WIP template had that info included - I didn't know how to format {{wip}} with a date until I saw some articles with a WIP date.  People may not know that it's possible to modify the WIP template with a date, plus it's easier to just use {{wip}} instead of anything else.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2011, 11:24:20 AM »

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2011, 06:08:59 PM »
I responded on the talk page, but to comment here as well: while interesting and potentially useful of its own, the last-edit trick is completely unrelated to what date= is intended for. If we want to add that, great. If we want to remove date=, fine. But we need to be clear that changing from date= to last-edit isn't simply a technical change. It's a significant change in what information is being provided and it removes the ability to provide the table on the category page.

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2011, 08:34:37 PM »
I've started going through the WIP articles and adding dates to all the old ones that didn't have them.  One other option that occurred to me was that we could add a user= option to the template that would take you their home page.  This would allow us to use the category listing to sort out articles that we've started, and maybe forgotten about, so that we can go back and finish them.