Author Topic: Emote animations  (Read 5064 times)

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
Emote animations
« on: January 02, 2011, 08:02:48 AM »
So a while back, someone went through and uploaded a lot of animations for the emotes. I believe the animations were originally created by Mantid, but they went offline and were subsequently uploaded to PW. There apparently were both male and female versions created of each emote using Mantid and Ghost Widow. However, for most emotes, we only have the Ghost Widow version.

Unfortunately, a lot of the emotes for sitting have different visuals for males than females. In fact, a lot of the sitting emotes for females are all the same, notably:

http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Emote_SitBench2
http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Emote_SitBench3
http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Emote_SitBench4
http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Emote_SitChair1
http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Emote_SitChair3

Does anyone out there still have the Mantid versions of the various sit emotes (sitbench1-4, sitchair1-3, sitstool, sittable1-2)? I think it'd be helpful to upload them so we have both versions.

And if there are any other emotes in a similar boat, same applies there as well. :)

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
Re: Emote animations
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 09:38:29 PM »
Speaking of emote animations... The newer animations seem to still need illustrations uploaded. Looks like the Going Rogue related emotes and Party Pack emotes may be the only ones missing. Anybody know how to create those?

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 10:11:05 PM »
Sounds like we need to turn on the Fleeting Whisper light.  :)
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Fleeting Whisper

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 10:24:39 PM »
I received permission to upload Mantid's emote animations for the initial upload. After a little discussion, we decided to only keep the Mantid versions in the cases where no Ghost Widow version existed.

Occasionally since then, I have used cohdemos to create new Ghost Widow animations for emotes released after Mantid stopped updating (you can tell the difference between Mantid's and mine by the background color - mine have a pink/orange background).

If I have time, I may look at making more animations this weekend. Or, someone else can do them now. I wrote instructions for just that in November '09.

Edit: And I'm far too lazy to go back and make male version of each emote, so if you think it matters enough, go make Positron animations or something :P

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 03:55:14 AM »
I don't think we need male versions of all emotes. Just the ones where the male and female version differs. :)

If you don't get to them, then maybe I'll try taking a look over the instructions you wrote up (I hadn't seen them before). I don't have CS3 but maybe I can find something else that'd work.

a2jward

• Underling
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 06:55:43 AM »
Is there a list complied of whats needed?  I can use demorecord and make gifs.

If there's a list that has the democode needed even better.

Arkyaeon

• Underling
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 07:32:12 AM »
heh well I recently tried my hand a making some...

I  gather all the animations needed for the party pack and a few other emotes I just haven't got around to adding them.  I just didn't want to step on anyones toes or royally screw something up  ;D -- total wiki newbie --

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 06:55:51 PM »
I'd say you're doing pretty good so far.  :)

Edit:  Ah yes, categories.

To add a category to an image when uploading, place the category tag in the "Summary" field.  Using an emote animation as an example, you'd place this in there:

[[Category:Emote Images]]

If you forget to add the category when you upload an image, you can do so after by clicking the "Edit" button at the top of the image's page and adding the tag there.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 07:06:17 PM by eabrace »
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Fleeting Whisper

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 09:53:54 PM »
I recommend moving the new animations to a sub-category of Emote Images, just like the Mantid and Ghost Widow animations.

WRT gender-based animations: There was a little bit of userpage discussion when I was uploading the contents of Mantid's guide, which resulted in preference to pictures of Ghost Widow over those of Mantid's personal character. However, since some animations change between genders, we should probably have both available, at least for those animations which differ.

My two cents: Stick with recognizable NPCs over player models. I think it makes the emote pages cleaner and more coherent, and it becomes easier to categorize the images themselves, too.

Sera404

• Underling
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 05:23:48 PM »
I'll throw in a vote for NPC male character as well, due to simply being more recognizable.

So with Ghost Widow to represent the female character... Statesman to go with the male character?  That way, you can see how the emote would affect capes as well.

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 03:30:05 AM »
<Massive necropost, but it's still the same discussion>

I've finished all the emotes that were present at the shutdown, keeping Ghost Widow as the character model because that's what had been standardized with the bulk of the animations so far. Other things I updated were:
  • Animations with non-blue backgrounds
  • Animations that didn't have complete loops
  • Options for purchasing on the Paragon Market
  • All other details that were still missing on the overall article list

One caveat that occured to me during the process was that Ghost Widow's cape and hair often caused more annoyance than I'd prefer. It would have made for considerably smoother GIFs to use a non-cape, non-hair model, but I figured consistency was more important. (Plus, the time commitment required to replace all of the GW versions would have been waaay to much.) So, it is what it is.

Edit: Grammars
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 10:28:52 PM by Blondeshell »

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2013, 08:36:20 PM »
I think I mentioned it on your talk page, but: well done!
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame