Author Topic: "Tip Mission" vs. "Alignment Mission"  (Read 4043 times)

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
"Tip Mission" vs. "Alignment Mission"
« on: October 04, 2010, 02:35:21 AM »
Something that's been bugging me lately is that there appears to be a trend to refer to all Alignment Tip Missions as "Tip Missions" while referring to Morality Tip Missions as "Morality Missions."

All Alignment and Morality missions are Tip missions, so it's inaccurate to imply that Morality missions are not Tip missions.

Case in point:  Alignment Mission.

An alignment mission is a generic term for the following mission types, introduced in Issue 18/Going Rogue:

1. Tip Mission
   2. Morality Mission

This is incorrect.  "Tip Mission" is a generic term for "Alignment Mission" or "Morality Mission".

Aside from the text in various articles (which I plan to scrub through if I get the chance this week), the Tip Missions category probably needs to be split into Alignment Missions and Morality Missions before we get too far into documenting those missions.

Any objections?
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
Re: "Tip Mission" vs. "Alignment Mission"
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 02:48:02 AM »
Please do fix this. I was getting confused by it earlier myself. :)

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 03:18:02 AM »
If it's borked, fix it.

... Why was it borked in the first place? Someone didn't know how to read?

Zombie Man

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 05:29:18 PM »
Yes, that should be fixed.

Tips drop.

What drops is either an Alignment Mission which fills up the Morality Meter or a Morality Mission that changes Alignment.

What can be so confusing about that?

:gonk:

And now, my thousand word rant over the naming scheme of Soldiers of Arachnos and Arachnos Soldiers....

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 05:36:34 PM »
And now, my thousand word rant over the naming scheme of Soldiers of Arachnos and Arachnos Soldiers....

I'm not happy about that one either, but it's not my call. )-:

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 10:11:09 PM »
I think I've managed to reign in most of the references and I've modified the necessary articles to get the terminology lined up correctly.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

SaintNicster

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 06:25:26 PM »
The devs/OCR/Marketing type folks are calling them Tip Missions and Morality missions in patch notes and feature releases.  Pretty sure that is where the trend started.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 07:54:02 PM »
Figures. :P
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

taosin

• Boss
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 04:39:23 AM »
Perhaps as an aside, within Praetoria many arcs end in a moral choice mission. The standard text included in-game when this occurs is along the lines of "This arc is a SINGLE PLAYER MORAL CHOICE story arc. You will not be able to have other people on your team assist you with this story arc."

When documenting the missions, I have tended to use the term "Moral Choice". An example would be in The Strong Survive , seen in the ToC and in that mission.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 11:37:23 AM by taosin »

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 04:45:13 AM »
These missions are referred to as "Moral Choice" in the badge progress meter, so I'd say it's probably a safe bet.

Zombie Man

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 06:27:21 PM »
The devs/OCR/Marketing type folks are calling them Tip Missions and Morality missions in patch notes and feature releases.  Pretty sure that is where the trend started.

And we just saw what OCR/Marketing did to the description of how the inherent Fitness Pool 'works'.   :gonk:

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2010, 05:12:05 AM »
So what's with all this talk of the Optical Character Recognition department anyway?