Author Topic: Color palettes  (Read 2434 times)

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
Color palettes
« on: September 19, 2010, 02:59:14 AM »
A while back, I had worked up some color palette pages using the color samples Eabrace had uploaded:
http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/User:Sekoia/Sandbox/Palettes

For each palette, I created a table that shows the color names (names borrowed from other sources). I also created several supplementary tables that shows each table's HSV information. Example:
http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/User:Sekoia/Sandbox/Palettes/Bright

The first tables, with named colors, have found their way into the main article namespace via transclusion from my user pages. Example:
http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Bright_Power_Colors#Colors

I'd like to migrate all of this out of my user page and into the global namespaces. However, I'm a bit unsure of how to proceed. Some specific questions:
  • Does anyone see any value in the HSV information? I'm inclined to toss it out, but I don't want to throw it away if others find it useful.
  • If we do keep the HSV information... where should it go? Directly into the color articles (such as "Bright Power Colors")? Or do we want to keep it separate?
  • If we don't keep the HSV information, should I just dump the color table code directly into the color articles, or do you think it should be kept separate? It's a looot of code.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
Re: Color palettes
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 06:20:32 AM »
I don't know on the HSV info.  I found it interesting, but it's not likely anything I'd ever use.

Would it be a good idea to make the code a subpage?  Maybe Bright Power Colors/Palette?
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

taosin

• Boss
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 09:41:25 AM »
> Does anyone see any value in the HSV information?

I see some value in it (it is information, after all). However I'd be inclined to keep HSV information very separate or have no qualms about tossing it out if it adds to the complexity of this project!

> If we do keep the HSV information... where should it go?

Separate.

> If we don't keep the HSV information, should I just dump the
> color table code directly into the color articles,
> or do you think it should be kept separate? It's a looot of code.

Separate.

(Merely my $0.02 worth (do you have that saying in the US?))

Fleeting Whisper

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 04:33:24 PM »
I don't think the HSV data is useful. Mostly, I doubt it's common for someone to need the exact color being used (capturing the color via a screenshot is also prone to error, thanks to gamma adjustments you can apply from within the game). If someone did need the exact color value, I think RGB would be more helpful: it's more commonly understood, more commonly seen (for example, HTML and CSS use hex-encoded RGB, not HSV, though CSS3 is supposed to have HSL support), and any program you could enter HSV coordinates into, you would also be able to use RGB (and many where you can use RGB, you can't use HSV).

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 05:36:33 PM »
(capturing the color via a screenshot is also prone to error, thanks to gamma adjustments you can apply from within the game)

CoH's Gamma setting does not affect screenshots.

And yeah, HSL >>>>> HSV. (-:

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 07:16:09 PM »
Mostly, I doubt it's common for someone to need the exact color being used.

I like my UI on each character to reflect a color in my character's costume, so I often use the RGB values to calculate the percentage values on the window color sliders.  But I'm odd that way.  :)
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 10:39:28 PM »
I'll just toss the HSV info. I had initially put it in as an aid for colorblindness. I'm colorblind, and the RGB value of a color is fairly useless most of the time. At least the hue of a color lets me figure out which primary color it's near (which sometimes even tells me more than the named colors do). But I found I wasn't really using the color charts anyway; I usually just get a second (non-colorblind) opinion when choosing colors.

I think I'll take Eabrace's suggestion about putting the colors on /Palette subpages.

Thanks for the feedback. :)