Author Topic: Naming the Praetorian Guard  (Read 6970 times)

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
Naming the Praetorian Guard
« on: August 31, 2010, 06:55:09 PM »
With the significant retcon regarding the inhabitants of Praetoria, we may want to reconsider retaining legacy names for character articles that have been revised in the game's canon. In particular, many of the Arch-villains you fight in the 40-50 level range blueside have what are essentially nicknames in the current canon.

I understand intuition is no replacement for evidence, but I highly suspect that the legacy names of all Praetorian arch-villains with the exception of Tyrant are only still in use because the devs didn't want to retire the names altogether.

In any case, we have a few examples:

• Praetor White - Marauder
  • Praetor Duncan - Dominatrix
  • Praetor Barry - Neuron
  • Praetor Sinclair - Chimera
  • Praetor Tilman aka "Mother" - Mother Mayhem
  • Emperor Cole - Tyrant
I don't feel that in any of these cases the legacy name is used as any sort of "super hero identity" by their holders in Praetoria. When people see Praetor White breaking down walls ready to bash their heads in, they don't say "Here comes Marauder," they say "Here comes Praetor White." And "Mother" is already the alias in this case; why would someone pretending to help the general populace want to be associated with mayhem? And Tyrant is the obvious one--it's the name given to Emperor Cole by the Resistance.

In these cases, I think it would be appropriate to move the respective characters' articles to their "official Praetorian names" rather than the villainous nicknames given to them by, uh... Portal Corporation?.. and the current articles be turned into redirects.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
Re: Naming the Praetorian Guard
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 07:08:52 PM »
I've been sort of mulling this over in the back of my head since they first started releasing character bios for GR myself.

But I've been too busy to really pull the thought forward.

Some work will have to be done with the Praetorian enemy group page to make sure that the correct articles are linked rather than the redirects, but that shouldn't be a huge issue.  Unless the enemies have been renamed in Tina and Maria's arcs, however, I would suggest we not change the names of the individual entities in that article.

I don't object to the idea, but before we flip a switch and go nuts, would anyone else like to weigh in?
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

taosin

• Boss
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 10:49:48 PM »
I'm certainly all for seeing the Praetorian enemies listed under their Praetorian names.

Maybe with a standard bit at the top saying something like "Heroes and Villains encounter Praetor Barry as Neuron" or something  (or a new standard 'alias' template).

I've certainly been adding new content (briefings) referring to their Praetorian names ;>
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 11:04:33 PM by taosin »

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 12:58:46 AM »
Since playing in Praetoria requires a valid CoH game code (or a "complete edition" code which includes the CoH game code), I would say that the Praetorian guard should be called what Primal Earth calls them. Primal Earth is the central focus of the game. Praetoria is secondary.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

taosin

• Boss
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 04:23:25 AM »
Since playing in Praetoria requires a valid CoH game code (or a "complete edition" code which includes the CoH game code), I would say that the Praetorian guard should be called what Primal Earth calls them. Primal Earth is the central focus of the game. Praetoria is secondary.

This raises an interesting point. When playing the Praetorian content it's easy to become completely immersed in the content, which more often than not will result in the Praetorian Guard being referred by their proper names. You do encounter the other nicknames in the new content, sometimes with a contextual, almost pejorative, connotation (for example, references to Anti-Matter being stripped of his Praetor-ship.

In any event (1), this reinforces my desire to see a brief para near the top of the page explaing the aliases and names i.e. "In Praetoria, Neuron is most often known as Praetor Barry. Heroes and Villains from Primal Earth will generally encounter him as Neuron."

And in any event (2), no matter what the outcome, having redirects for the Praetorian name (if we keep the Primal name); or redirects for the Primal name (if we move to Praetorian nomenclature) would seem to make a lot of sense.

My $0.02 worth!

Zombie Man

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 08:58:46 AM »
But Neuron and Anti-Matter go more often than not by their super names rather than by their Praetor Names (especially since Anti-Matter lost his Praetor status). It's "Neuron's Tower" and his reticle is labeled 'Neuron.'

Mother's bio includes calling her "Little Miss Mayhem" and "Tyrant" is used often enough by the Resistance. And I've seen "Marauder" used in the in-game text in Praetoria.

I say keep their super designation.

Fleeting Whisper

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 10:51:57 PM »
But Neuron and Anti-Matter go more often than not by their super names rather than by their Praetor Names (especially since Anti-Matter lost his Praetor status). It's "Neuron's Tower" and his reticle is labeled 'Neuron.'

Mother's bio includes calling her "Little Miss Mayhem" and "Tyrant" is used often enough by the Resistance. And I've seen "Marauder" used in the in-game text in Praetoria.

I say keep their super designation.
Don't forget Neutropolis

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 12:13:52 AM »
I support putting the articles at the Primal Earth name (ie. Neuron) and putting redirects at the Praetorian Earth name (ie. Praetor Barry). And the overview should probably mention both names in the first sentence or two.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 03:12:53 AM by Sekoia »

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 02:16:36 AM »
Don't forget Neutropolis

This has been bugging me, but I keep forgetting to comment on it.

Neurons and neutrons are very different things. (-:

Fleeting Whisper

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 07:31:58 PM »
This has been bugging me, but I keep forgetting to comment on it.

Neurons and neutrons are very different things. (-:
It's not Neutr-opolis, it's Neu-tropolis ;D

At least, I think the people in Neutropolis are able to have kids! *rimshot*

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 08:12:36 PM »
Shouldn't it be Neurtropolis then? I mean, where do we make the distinction? (-:

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2010, 08:20:19 PM »
Technically, it should be "Neuropolis."
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Zombie Man

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2010, 01:29:45 PM »
no ur opolis!

taosin

• Boss
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2010, 10:51:19 AM »
Just on naming the Praetorian Guard, perhaps Anti-Matter can have the final say?

He says (in his initial contact) "Since I'm in direct contact with you, Character, you'll refer to me by my real name, Anti-Matter."

So there you have it! :)

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2010, 08:53:31 PM »
no ur opolis!

As opposed to me tropolis?  Oh hey, "Metropolis!"  I get it now!