Author Topic: Can't install new version  (Read 4301 times)

Echo Night

• Underling
Can't install new version
« on: March 23, 2010, 02:06:22 AM »
Every time I try to install the new version (1.6.2.1) from the Titans website, I get this error..

(BIG RED X) Error opening file for writing:

C:\Program Files\Titan Network\Mids Hero Designer\Hero Designer.exe

No other mids version is open
Have the current .Net Framework 2.0
OS is Vista
Not trying to install from the old Mids version (it yells at me not to)
The old version is ran as Admin, but since I can't even get the new version to install, I'm 
assuming I can't run it as Admin?

It's not a really big issue since I can still run the old version but I would still like to run the new
version w/o the patch pop up every time I use it.

Thanks for your attention to this issue.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
Re: Can't install new version
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 02:40:58 AM »
Are you saving the file to disk and then running it? If not, do that. Right click and run the file as admin before attempting the install.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Echo Night

• Underling
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 02:51:45 AM »
When it gets to the save file part, that's when I get the error msg.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 03:35:55 AM »
What browser are you using? I downloaded just fine from cohplanner.com - no errors, etc. You're actually DOWNLOADING the file, right? You said in the OP "try to install from the Titans website", not saving the file. This makes it sound like you are clicking "RUN FILE" instead of "SAVE".
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

SaintNicster

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 04:12:27 AM »
You need to run the installer as an administrator to install it to your Program Files directory.  Otherwise, you can install it somewhere else (C:\Apps\Titan Network\Mids Hero Designer as an example)

Echo Night

• Underling
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 06:24:10 AM »
What browser are you using? I downloaded just fine from cohplanner.com - no errors, etc. You're actually DOWNLOADING the file, right? You said in the OP "try to install from the Titans website", not saving the file. This makes it sound like you are clicking "RUN FILE" instead of "SAVE".

Nvm. Found it. Had about 30 files saved to the user folder. Thanks for the help and responses.

Z4K

• Underling
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 10:37:52 PM »
i am also having trouble installing the new Meds on my windows 7 64bit OS.
i keep getting this error opening file for writing.  and it gives me 3 options, abort, retry and ignore wich none of those seem to do anything and i cant find an option to open it as administration.
any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

SaintNicster

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 12:18:17 AM »
i am also having trouble installing the new Meds on my windows 7 64bit OS.
i keep getting this error opening file for writing.  and it gives me 3 options, abort, retry and ignore wich none of those seem to do anything and i cant find an option to open it as administration.
any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

• You need to save the installer file to your computer.
  • Go to the location that the file was saved.
  • Now, instead of double-clicking to open/execute the file, click with your right mouse button.
  • You should then see a menu pop up, with the option "Run as administrator" (possibly with a little blue and yellow shield).
  • Left click on that option. 
    If done correctly, you should get some type of popup that says something like "Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to your computer?".  Click Yes in this box
  • Proceed with the install as you would normally.

Another option: when the installer prompts you for the "Destination Folder," select a folder outside of C:\Program Files or "C:\Program Files(x86)".

Z4K

• Underling
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2010, 07:14:42 AM »
ah, i did as you suggested. and it now installed and working nicely. tank you very much!! ;D
  • You need to save the installer file to your computer.
  • Go to the location that the file was saved.
  • Now, instead of double-clicking to open/execute the file, click with your right mouse button.
  • You should then see a menu pop up, with the option "Run as administrator" (possibly with a little blue and yellow shield).
  • Left click on that option. 
    If done correctly, you should get some type of popup that says something like "Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to your computer?".  Click Yes in this box
  • Proceed with the install as you would normally.

Another option: when the installer prompts you for the "Destination Folder," select a folder outside of C:\Program Files or "C:\Program Files(x86)".