Author Topic: Bugs 101  (Read 13441 times)

Steiner

• Elite Boss
    • Steinerd.com
Re: Bugs 101
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2010, 01:18:58 AM »
My proposal was to guarantee that any use of the {{bug}} template would require a citation, proof that it is a bug so people don't go crazy posting it on every page (I'm only skimming through the posts so it's just broad speculation of the problem at hand).

I don't know if pwiki's goal to to allow the use of the bug template as an opinion or relatable fact. If the latter than requiring a citation would fix a lot of blind uses of the template.
~Steinerd

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2010, 03:13:40 AM »
{{bug}} wasn't actually over-used at all. There were a few instances that could have been handled with a regularly-typed note or an {{EdNote}} (however, this wasn't created until fairly recently). There's no need to create solutions for a problem we weren't having.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Steiner

• Elite Boss
    • Steinerd.com
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2010, 12:55:20 PM »
{{bug}} wasn't actually over-used at all. There were a few instances that could have been handled with a regularly-typed note or an {{EdNote}} (however, this wasn't created until fairly recently). There's no need to create solutions for a problem we weren't having.
Understood, apologies for branching from the original argument.
~Steinerd

Fleeting Whisper

• Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2010, 02:54:43 AM »
We do not use {{bug}} for typos (or should not).
The bug-for-typo comment was in relation to some discussion about directing developers to our wiki to find errors in the game. We already know that they look at Paragonwiki to know what information has been released or put into the in-game lore and what hasn't; extending that to what errors need fixing isn't a huge leap.

I realize we don't use {{bug}} for typos, and I absolutely agree that the current form of {{bug}} shouldn't be used for them. But considering that angle of helping developers find errors, I was suggesting that any modification of {{bug}} for typos should by necessity be extremely unobtrusive.

Zombie Man

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2010, 12:50:53 PM »
From the point of view that the Wiki is a reference work for an original work, we *shouldn't* be fixing typos. The professional standard is to leave typos be and put '[sic]' after the typo. And that could be templatified to create a page that lists all the typos.

iakona

• Underling
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2010, 06:42:47 PM »
From the point of view that the Wiki is a reference work for an original work, we *shouldn't* be fixing typos. The professional standard is to leave typos be and put '[sic]' after the typo. And that could be templatified to create a page that lists all the typos.
I agree with this.  I find it rather odd that the wiki editors would fix typos found in the game without any reference to the typo whatsoever.  That definitely seems unusual for a reference site.

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2010, 06:47:20 PM »

Really, I think of the Wiki more from the point of view of what is useful to a user.  I don't think that most users really care so much about the exact wording in the game, and care a lot more about what it's supposed to say when it comes to typos and such.  Keep in mind that we're not a formal reference.  I want the information to be accurate, but not to the point of distraction, and seeing [sic] after an in-game typo would be distracting to me.  Not "ZOMG I can't read this!" distracting, but I just like it better when errors like that are silently corrected because I really don't care about misspellings.

Having said that, I wouldn't mind having some kind of template that would allow me to, for example, use something like this:

{{bug|message=Malaise's name is misspelled as "Maliase" in the mission description for whoever's whatever mission.|display=no}}

If the display=no parameter is specified, then this wouldn't show anything on the page; maybe it's enclosed in <span style="display:none;"></span> tags or something, but it would show up in the bug category page that devs or anyone else could use to reference if they want a really nitty-gritty list of every mistake that we know of in the game.

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2010, 07:26:15 PM »
Category:Sics

Make the {{sic}} template invisible.

Fleeting Whisper

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2010, 05:12:13 AM »
But then how do you reference exactly what the typo was? A category and an invisible template doesn't show where on a huge page the single wrong word is...

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2010, 04:19:09 PM »
We could make it visible, and the misspelled word itself is the argument in the {{sic}} parameter.

Okay, HeroName, we've got a situation down at the docks. Turns out a ship is coming in, and {{sic|it's}} cargo is the target for a Wailer raid. I don't know what a Wailer is, but it can't be good.

Zombie Man

• Elite Boss
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2010, 04:50:02 PM »
That would be fine if to a reader it looks something like this...

Okay, HeroName, we've got a situation down at the docks. Turns out a ship is coming in, and it's [sic] cargo is the target for a Wailer raid. I don't know what a Wailer is, but it can't be good.

Steiner

• Elite Boss
    • Steinerd.com
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2010, 05:17:14 PM »
Nice use of subscript!
~Steinerd

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2010, 05:58:21 PM »
That would be fine if to a reader it looks something like this...

Okay, HeroName, we've got a situation down at the docks. Turns out a ship is coming in, and it's [sic] cargo is the target for a Wailer raid. I don't know what a Wailer is, but it can't be good.

That would be a pretty simple template.  Just have it return the text entered and tag the [sic] on the end.

Code: [Select]
{{{1}}} <sub>[sic]</sub>
Furthermore:  Using a template will also make it easy to compile a list of all pages with typos noted just by using the "What Links Here" feature from the template's page.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov