Author Topic: Offline Character Creator  (Read 1712 times)

spaceninja

• Underling
Offline Character Creator
« on: January 19, 2010, 10:57:45 PM »
I want to just start out saying that yes I know about the Creator that was released years ago in Asia. It is way out of date and a hassle to get working.

With that out of the way.

I was wanting to know if anyone had undertaken such a task.

I am not talking about a full 3D creator as exists in the game. I want something much much simpler. Have the same setup as the CC in the game, but the model off to the right wouldn't use the PIGG files from the game, but rather just use 2D artwork. Maybe an option to turn the model around so that you can see how capes look etc.

Since we have the option to output costume and power colors now it would be nice to import and export those files.

Now I am not a programmer and will never claim to be one. I just had an idea and am wanting to know if anyone knows of a project like this or maybe spark interest in such a thing.

Steiner

• Elite Boss
    • Steinerd.com
Re: Offline Character Creator
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 11:37:47 PM »
This has been a dream of a lot of COH players and Titans to boot.

However, there are a lot of underlying programmatic factors that would make this most difficult.

A bit of levity on the topic, sure the concept of an out-of-game costume creator sounds awesome, but when it boils down to it... why would it be necessary?

It's not like Mids, that saves you millions if not billions of in-game inf to see what your numbers will be properly speced. That is however not in the game.

Costume Creator however IS. And as far as I've seen, you can modify your character until Kingdom come... it won't charge you until you are finished.

I'm not a big fan of re-inventing the wheel and this definitely is one of those situations.

If you're looking for a tool that helps you create 3D figures in a easy to use interface, there is an application called "Poser", I believe it is in its 9th version and has progressed leaps and bounds in how awesome it is. Of course not free.... but just throwing it out there.

I know SuckerPunch has been wanting to do something like this for awhile, but it is very hard to get our hands on GOOD opensource libraries that support OpenGL or alike. Which are required to support the ability to view a character renders in any amount of dimensions.

Plus the PIGGS are nothing more than giant relational zip files that has all the 2D texture and image files for our in-game characters so it would require the PIGGs to be on the same computer it's being run on, which is a bit pointless... since you can just run the game and get the same functionality.

All in all, of course, a great idea... just not logical.
~Steinerd

spaceninja

• Underling
Re: Offline Character Creator
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 11:50:33 PM »
Basically I want something to do at work, or offline when I get an idea for a character and I am on the road and my laptop has to run a extremely low graphics just to check the market.

Like I said I don't want a replacement for in game creator, or have it look like the in game creator, just something that is functional and looks good enough.

I think it would have a lot of use. Who likes to spend an hour in game messing with a costume I could do it offline rather than miss the PM about a TF starting or something else that is going on. You could get the costume designed and ready to go, then spend maybe 3-5 minutes making a few tweaks if needed.

Besides I use Mids as a game in itself when I am bored. I know quite a few others that do the same thing. This would just add to the mini game.

As I said before I am not a programmer and I have no idea how hard it would be to make a program that would pop out a piece of code we could import into the game and make it render correctly. I am more of a hardware guy.