Author Topic: PAX 2009  (Read 7440 times)

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
PAX 2009
« on: August 21, 2009, 05:35:41 AM »
Question the first: Anybody besides me gonna be there? :)

Question number B: Anyone besides me gonna go to the meet and greet? :D
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
Re: PAX 2009
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 11:50:00 AM »
That's one of those things I've always thought sounded like fun.  Won't be there, though.

(We should totally have Paragon Wiki t-shirts made to wear to things like that.)
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Catwhoorg

• Minion
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 01:04:17 PM »
Point them to the 'rest of the country' when you are there.

There are a few Cons EAST of the Rockies that would love a presence.
Catwhoorg Claws/Regen/Awesome of Triumph

Dabbling with CO and LOTRO.

Mainly playing single player games and PBEM wargames.

Tazhyngarth

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 01:26:55 PM »
I can never make it to any Cons.....I so wish I could go, just once  :gonk:.

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 03:48:43 PM »
Point them to the 'rest of the country' when you are there.

There are a few Cons EAST of the Rockies that would love a presence.
This.  I'd like to go, but I'm almost as far away from Seattle as you can be and still be in a U.S. state.

I'm not even asking them to hit every little get-together in the country.  But they should definitely try to have a presence at four or five regional hubs around the country.  Here in Atlanta, we have Dragon Con, which is a huge deal and which attracts people from all over the southeast.

:(

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 04:02:25 PM »
I'm off to PAX! I am going to ask the devs there their opinions on the Titan Network and its efforts. :) Hopefully I will remember what they say (I have a terrible, awful, horrible memory). LOL

I have tickets for today and tomorrow. I will be at the panel tomorrow, which is about Mission Architect and probably a Q&A with some stuff about Going Rogue.

I am excited, this is my first con. :)
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 04:27:46 PM »
Woot!  Take some pictures!  Post details!   ;D

SuckerPunch

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 05:41:19 PM »
Have fun!

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 09:22:43 PM »
Hope you have fun there.  Definitely let us know how it goes.  :)
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Shades29A

• Elite Boss
  • Cedo Nulli
    • City Info Tracker
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2009, 11:04:16 AM »
nice, wish i could go ...
altho GamesCom was pretty sweet ;)

but then again, the NCsoft booth was all Aion :(
so you're probably going to have more luck
Wii: 3579 7589 2003 1962 .:. Gamertag, Playfire & PSN: Shades29A[/B]

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 05:01:50 PM »
but then again, the NCsoft booth was all Aion :(
so you're probably going to have more luck

Yeah, they had a small booth for City, a full-sized booth for Aion, and a small booth for Guild Wars 2, though the GW2 booth had nothing there but a TV looping the already-released trailer for the game, and occasionally some of the developers came out to sign the concept art books if people had them. All three were right in a row; it was like "NCsoft Avenue", pretty cool. :D

The Aion booth was spectacular! Seriously, I think I could have spent all day there. In some ways, it blows the pants off City in customization - but only in the actual model itself. You can do some SERIOUS tweaking to the body of your character. Sadly, the clothes are still class-oriented initially instead of fully customizable like City, so there is a minus there. You get three options to choose from based on your class. Only much later on do you get to start doing the serious customization they talk about. It looks BEAUTIFUL. It plays awesomely enough that I pre-ordered it ($5 off and a free, pretty t-shirt, good deal).

The City booth? AMAZING. Their wall art is just...gah. Beautiful! They had an AWESOME shot of Tyrant. I will be getting pictures up of it very soon, after figuring out how to manipulate the boyfriend's camera into giving me the images stored on it. :p

By the way, if you liked the Diablo games? Your life will be ruined and you will not see the light of day for ages and ages. Diablo III looks fucking awesome. I think, when that game comes out, I will not have a boyfriend for at least a month. I will instead gain a lump that sits in front of his computer and giggles girlishly and laughs maniacally at seemingly random moments.

Also also, Star Trek online looks cool, the ship combat looks REALISTIC!

Also additionally, if you do not have an XBOX 360 (I don't), there are about 893472 reasons you should have one, and most of them are coming out in the next few months. There were some *AMAZING* games showcased. I can't remember any names because I can't find anything in particular in the giant mountain of swag and empty Monsterpocalypse boxes that's waiting to be sorted through on my couch.

Lastly, I am fully and utterly doomed, because there are like seventeen PC games that I want to play all at the same time. It is wonderful and utterly, utterly terrible because I can't play thirty-two games at the same time!!!

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2009, 05:02:43 PM »
By the way, if you couldn't tell from my diarrhea of the mouth, I enjoyed myself IMMENSELY.

Sometime soon I will do a write up with the cool things Hero 1, Positron, and Bruce Harlick said.

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Shades29A

• Elite Boss
  • Cedo Nulli
    • City Info Tracker
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2009, 07:13:03 PM »
By the way, if you liked the Diablo games? Your life will be ruined and you will not see the light of day for ages and ages. Diablo III looks fucking awesome. I think, when that game comes out, I will not have a boyfriend for at least a month. I will instead gain a lump that sits in front of his computer and giggles girlishly and laughs maniacally at seemingly random moments.
i played it at GamesCom (yay!)
the day after, i read it was pushed back to 2011 ! :o :o :o
so i was quite happy i got to play it :D

Also also, Star Trek online looks cool, the ship combat looks REALISTIC!
*jealous* :o

Also additionally, if you do not have an XBOX 360 (I don't), there are about 893472 reasons you should have one, and most of them are coming out in the next few months. There were some *AMAZING* games showcased. I can't remember any names because I can't find anything in particular in the giant mountain of swag and empty Monsterpocalypse boxes that's waiting to be sorted through on my couch.
well, the reason i don't have an Xbox YET, is simpley put: money ...
i will have a 360 someday, but just not that soon :(
Wii: 3579 7589 2003 1962 .:. Gamertag, Playfire & PSN: Shades29A[/B]

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2009, 11:03:45 PM »
Sorry, Aion is a no-go for me, unless they decide to get rid of the GameGuard software planned to be released with it.  I'm not going to have some third-party piece of software hiding processes, watching my usage, disabling API calls, etc.

It's a rootkit, plain and simple, so I don't care how cool the game is.  It's literally a game-breaker.

I feel so strongly about it that I'll put it like this.  I've played City of Heroes for over five years now, and I've invested a significant amount of time, effort, and money into this hobby.  If City of Heroes ever decides to install it, that's the day that I'll immediately hang it all up and quit, and I won't think twice about it.

SuckerPunch

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2009, 11:07:54 PM »
Sorry, Aion is a no-go for me, unless they decide to get rid of the GameGuard software planned to be released with it.  I'm not going to have some third-party piece of software hiding processes, watching my usage, disabling API calls, etc.

It's a rootkit, plain and simple, so I don't care how cool the game is.  It's literally a game-breaker.

Yeah, I'm none-to-thrilled about that being required to run the game.  I kind of understand where they're going with it, in that the average user is too dumb to use common sense to prevent account hijacking or whatever, but it should be disablable by people who don't want or need that crap.

Steiner

• Elite Boss
    • Steinerd.com
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2009, 01:14:27 AM »
eh, if they have to use our own resources as a form of anti-cheat limitations, so-be-it. I'd wish more games accompanied 3rd party tools that used our own resources for our benefit.

I see no harm in dis-allowing applications like CheatEngine and other run-time memory scanners for a brand new game... however, I can see the downfall for something like COH doing it, HeroStats wouldn't work anymore for one...

Any who, I'm still attempting to download the beta client (9 gigs, lol; down to 4) and I plan to pre-order the collector's edition once I get paid (if I can swing it...).

~Steinerd

St0n3y

• Boss
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2009, 01:31:05 AM »
I plan to pre-order the collector's edition once I get paid (if I can swing it...).

I KNOW you don't get paid that much for working that corner, so stop with the lies.   8)

I'm a sexy pork chop!!!!

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2009, 01:36:17 AM »
I KNOW you don't get paid that much for working that corner, so stop with the lies.   8)

Yeah, he needs to move a couple blocks down, better area!

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2009, 01:37:01 AM »
As to GameGuard, I don't much care. I don't do anything "illegal" (or rather, against TOS) with any of my games, so I don't really care whether they're monitoring my gameplay or not.

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2009, 02:03:24 AM »
As to GameGuard, I don't much care. I don't do anything "illegal" (or rather, against TOS) with any of my games, so I don't really care whether they're monitoring my gameplay or not.
It's not so much an issue of wanting to do anything illegal.  The problem is that such software screws up my system.  I do some low-level nitty-gritty development stuff, and I run tools to monitor my system to find out whether or not my projects are working right.  This stuff interferes with those tools and my ability to actually do productive work.

Also, not to put too fine a point on it, it's a HUGE gaping security risk.  Anything that acts as a rootkit (which GameGuard most certainly does, by hiding processes from the OS) opens you to attack.  Remember the Sony rootkit debacle, when they put on audio CDs that infected a bunch of people's computers?  It worked by hiding, IIRC, anything that started with "$sys$" so that the OS couldn't see it.  It effectively opened up the door for viruses, trojans, and all other sorts of nasty stuff when authors of such malware simply started naming their stuff $sys$stuff.  Even virus software couldn't spot it, because virus software uses the OS to report what processes are running, what files are present on the filesystem, etc.

Read the "Problems" section of the Wikipedia article on GameGuard.  There's an unpatched privileged escalation bug out there right now, and that's not the first problem GameGuard has had.  The huge deal is that it means that no matter how well you are protecting your computer with anti-virus software, malware detectors, etc., this thing comes along and opens it right up.

Seriously, no thanks, and I'm adamant about that.  I wish more people were.  It's bad enough that we have to put up with all the DRM crap that some games are foisting on people these days.  I just don't know how to say it any plainer, this is much worse.  It is malware, plain and simple.  I'm all for stopping cheaters, as I hate them too, but the way to do it is to write quality code, not hire some third party to screw up people's computers.  Pretty as it might be, I highly recommend against installing this game.