Author Topic: Music Redux  (Read 5330 times)

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
Music Redux
« on: July 08, 2009, 02:14:09 AM »
In the old discussion thread here: http://paragonforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=456 we had talked about adding the neighborhood music to the zone articles and the potential for problems with doing so.  Is there any chance we can revisit this?  I wanted to update the Atlas Park list tonight, but .ogg files are not listed as an acceptable file type. How would I go about adding any new files in this situation?

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
Re: Music Redux
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 02:36:43 AM »
I suspect we'll have to add the OGG format as a valid file on the backend before you can upload, but I can't say for sure if that's all there is to it.

Hmm... there may be something else to consider here, too.  Are any of the extracted OGG files over 2MB?

Edit:  You know, the funny part here is that the third example on the upload page is "[[Media:File.ogg]] for directly linking to the file without displaying the file"
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 03:01:03 AM by eabrace »
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 04:29:10 AM »
At a glance, there appears to be about 15 files that would be over 2048K, but they might not all be necessary to upload.  I'll know for sure once I start digging more thoroughly into the CoV files.

What is it about the syntax for that third example?  That's how the Atlas Park article is written.  Is there something strange about it that's not supposed to work?

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 04:43:28 AM »
Apparently, Mediawiki 1.2.0 allowed .ogg by default, but later versions do not. I added .ogg to the allowed file extension list so they should be uploadable now.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 05:45:02 AM »
Seems to be playing OK now, too.  I clicked on the "Music" link next to Atlas Park and the OGG file opened for me in Winamp.

I just thought it was funny that the third example of file usage we had was using a file format that wasn't currently allowed for upload.  :)
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 09:05:53 PM »
Apparently, Mediawiki 1.2.0 allowed .ogg by default, but later versions do not. I added .ogg to the allowed file extension list so they should be uploadable now.

Is there something I need to do to get the updated list to show?  The upload page still doesn't include .ogg and it fails when I try to add one.

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 06:06:56 PM »
Oops, I typed the configuration setting wrong. It's fixed and now shows ogg as a permitted file type on Special:Upload. Sorry about that!

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2009, 03:34:51 PM »
Is there any way to get the upload file size limit removed or expanded at least temporarily so I can finish adding the neighborhood music?  There are other audio files that had been uploaded previously that are larger than the current 2MB limit.  The largest file I would still need to upload is under 4MB, so the limit wouldn't need to be expanded much more.  Any thoughts or feedback on this would be appreciated!

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009, 08:37:58 PM »
I put a setting in that should theoretically be changing the upload limit from 2MB to 4MB, but Special:Upload is still saying 2MB. Can you try uploading a larger file to see if it'll work anyway? I don't want to start trying to find alternate solutions if it's just not reporting the value correctly for some reason. :)

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2009, 12:45:22 AM »
I've been working on it pretty much all day and nothing over 2000k will go through. Go go gadget Alternate Solutions! :P

I've also come across a couple files that are in the 4-5MB range, so could you please try to get that size to work instead?  Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 01:35:00 AM by Blondeshell »

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2009, 06:36:00 AM »
Okay, I changed a setting somewhere else, and it seems to have worked. Or at least, Special:Upload is claiming it worked. The new upload limit should be 6 MB. :)

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2009, 01:08:52 AM »
Thanks for making the change, Sekoia.  I was able to finish uploading the rest of the audio files without any problems.  If you get a chance, check out the Music article and listen to some of the alternate and unused music.

Also, I remember TonyV making a comment before about getting the site to use streaming audio instead of having to download the files completely each time.  Is that something that's still possible to do, or is it probably not necessary any more?

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2009, 04:10:10 AM »
I was checking out some of the music on there the other day.  I'd completely forgotten about the Moon River track.  :D
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2009, 07:20:57 AM »
While browsing the Champions Online site, I noticed something about one of the videos they've got posted there.  The background music for the swinging travel power video is the same as the Vanguard Base neighborhood in RWZ.  My question is, then, is the music used in CoX from stock music libraries, or can Cryptic use it again since they had used it before NC Soft took over the IP?  I'd like to make sure I get the most accurate info in the music article.

By the way, does anyone else see a similarity between Millennium City shown in that video and the images we've seen so far of Praetoria City?

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2009, 07:30:11 AM »
Most of the music in City is either free or cheaply licensed.

A few of the City of Villains tracks were made for the game, but I don't remember which ones in particular.

Something like that is a good candidate for a PM to a redname.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal