Author Topic: Anyone know what's up with the server status feed?  (Read 1825 times)

Dark Horizon

• Minion
Anyone know what's up with the server status feed?
« on: May 14, 2009, 07:54:35 PM »
This is probably not the best place to ask (like the official game forums would probably be better) but I always get responses here (there, not so much, and often they're argumentative or condescending), but while at work I monitor server status via iGoogle and MyYahoo.  Both have been showing all servers down since 10 this morning, but the CoX website shows all are up.  The same thing happened the day i14 went live, but it also involved Yahoo widgets and Google gadgets: every widget/gadget/component/module/etc. showed all servers down, except the official site, which showed them all being up.

Idk if all these external objects use the RSS feed as the source for their info or what, but why is it that all these things are (again) showing the exact opposite of what appears to be true?  Are the servers not actually up?  Is the RSS feed broken (again)?

I'm worried, especially since it's not Monday or Friday, that they are dumping another insufficiently beta tested issue on us.  I can't find any information about an update or unscheduled maintenance going on.  Anybody got info?  Was an announcement made in game last night or this morning?

SuckerPunch

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
Re: Anyone know what's up with the server status feed?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 08:28:57 PM »
Could be the way their status scripts are cached.  Couldn't tell you much more beyond that without being the one responsible for their feeds.

Steiner

• Elite Boss
    • Steinerd.com
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 09:06:42 PM »
Well, yea SP is right.

You should probably start a fuss on the official forums.

All I know is, Mondays & Fridays are 2-3 hour maintenance and Tues & Thursdays they SOMETIMES do patch updates. (And usually release issues on Wensdays). That's the pattern I've noticed.

I mean, when they go down it's for mins to hours not half-days like other MMOs,

Also, the old javascript feed is worthless now, and the blogger who posted the RSS feed for us a while back... it parses that.

You're best bet is to parse the XML on the page. http://www.cityofheroes.com/servers/server_stat.xml

I have a script I've been screwing around with to release on paragon-wiki for such an occasion.

http://repo.cohtitan.com/scripts/server_status.php (source)
~Steinerd

Shorts

• Minion
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 07:17:56 AM »
Those feeds look nice. Has anyone found anything similar for the European servers?
Excreta ergo sum.

Steiner

• Elite Boss
    • Steinerd.com
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 11:41:24 AM »
No, I've been looking. They use to have an RSS feed, but they lost it with the site remodel. If you check their forums you'll see one of their red-names saying we're trying to get it back, but that was like almost a year ago.

~Steinerd