Author Topic: City of Heroes Going Rogue Expansion  (Read 13837 times)

gothess

• Lieutenant
  • Dodge This!
    • COH Anonymous SG/ Black Sheep VG
City of Heroes Going Rogue Expansion
« on: May 12, 2009, 04:42:14 AM »
Did anyone else get an email from NCSoft about this? I tried looking for info on their site and the links they provided weren't working.

???
-T
(aka Ani)

Steiner

• Elite Boss
    • Steinerd.com
Re: City of Heroes Going Rogue Expansion
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 04:45:43 AM »
http://www.onelastcontinue.com/7255/paragon-city-goes-rogue-in-newly-announced-expansion/

Don't be surprised if this isn't true... might wanna verify it via the official forums.
~Steinerd

Catharctic

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 05:00:28 AM »
Confirmed by Castle in this thread.

It's not a joke. I can't say more about it now, though. Stay tuned for more info!

gothess

• Lieutenant
  • Dodge This!
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 05:01:17 AM »
Well, some time ago I received an invite for a survey for COH where they asked questions directly relating to this. This was before the Architect issue. Some of the questions asked what the Architect issue should be named and what our opinions about heroes/ villains being able to switch sides.

I wonder how this will play out. I'm interested in knowing if it's a stand-alone or if it will be like COV, where you don't need a second account and can play with your current global friends...

I checked the forums but didn't see anything about it.  :-\
-T
(aka Ani)

gothess

• Lieutenant
  • Dodge This!
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 05:02:24 AM »
Confirmed by Castle in this thread.

Thanks! I'm off to read that thread then! Heehee.  :D
-T
(aka Ani)

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 05:50:53 AM »
Official site (complete with trailer): http://www.cityofheroes.com/goingrogue/
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Catharctic

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 06:15:51 AM »
Some teases I'm seeing:

- New Engine - Improved Architecture on Statesman's viewing screen & Epic-looking armor
- Power Customization - The fireball changing color
- Dual Pistols - The guy only pulls one, but he has holsters on both sides

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 11:53:39 AM »
The first thing I expected to see after watching the trailer was a flood of new posts on the boards saying "OMG!  Pistols!"
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Steiner

• Elite Boss
    • Steinerd.com
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 12:07:28 PM »
Some teases I'm seeing:

- New Engine - Improved Architecture on Statesman's viewing screen & Epic-looking armor
- Power Customization - The fireball changing color
Yea, I'm seeing new powersets for sure, but the fireball changing color... I think that's just a metaphor for her changing from red to blue, respectively CoV -> CoH. I seriously doubt there going to let us change the color of elemental powers... green fire won't make any sense, regardless of how cool it looks.

I definitely see a (possible) huge engine overhaul, I mean the engine has some major tweaks in the release of COV, so I wouldn't be too surprised if this release brings out a whole new reason to love CoH on graphics alone.

Not to mention I REALLY follow all the storylines in game and seeing them bring Preatorians back into the mix is just exciting. (Tyrant at the end of the trailer)
~Steinerd

SuckerPunch

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 12:43:14 PM »
Why wouldn't green fire make sense?  You do realize flames can be any number of colors, naturally, right?

Catharctic

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2009, 01:21:56 PM »
If they upgrade the engine, we're getting power customization. That's always been the excuse.

IMO, it doesn't have to look like fire for it to be classified Fire Damage.

Steiner

• Elite Boss
    • Steinerd.com
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2009, 01:26:10 PM »
Why wouldn't green fire make sense?  You do realize flames can be any number of colors, naturally, right?
Wouldn't make sense because both Hero side heals and Rad already have a shade of green... it wouldn't make sense to the game, not to the natural ability of it.

If they upgrade the engine, we're getting power customization. That's always been the excuse.
I can see your point and that would be quite awesome if it were to happen. Though they've promised boatloads and have yet to deliver so I've trained myself not to get my hopes up until I can visually see the content.

I can only hope for the best from the release... heh maybe they'll finally add some custom UI support too while they're at it.
~Steinerd

Catwhoorg

• Minion
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009, 01:33:44 PM »
Here was me looking at that at thinking it was a ball of electricty.

Red/blue electricty is already there and makes an obvious metaphor for the side switching.

Either way, I'm very excited
Catwhoorg Claws/Regen/Awesome of Triumph

Dabbling with CO and LOTRO.

Mainly playing single player games and PBEM wargames.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2009, 02:36:05 PM »
I want those red Force Field bubbles we had for all of about a week back in CoV beta.  :)
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

Catharctic

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2009, 05:26:54 PM »

Catharctic

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2009, 05:28:35 PM »
I think it's important to note that Maelstrom is a hero gone rogue. That would most likely make him a Blaster. Dual Pistols for Blasters!!!

Voltaic Shock

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2009, 07:42:11 PM »
This might actually make me come back to the game.

Would be great if I could get all the badges on one character - :P

I want my electric blaster to be become the electric brute - :)
@Voltaic Shock[/b]
TN Admin, CIT Co-Creator, CGT Developer, Obsolete
---------------------------

http://www.motorcyclistsunited.com/  http://www.YourFreeiPhone.com/index.php?ref=5292707

Steiner

• Elite Boss
    • Steinerd.com
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2009, 07:47:26 PM »
Come on back now, ya herrrr?

~Steinerd

Catharctic

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2009, 10:17:27 PM »

Steiner

• Elite Boss
    • Steinerd.com
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2009, 10:50:31 PM »
Exciting, however, does not sound like a straight up Villain to Hero (or vice-versa) transition.

It seems to be a fate system that's only effected in the Praetorian world, which will probably be like a whole 'nother game. I'm looking forward to it regardless of how they spin it. lol
~Steinerd

Catharctic

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2009, 11:12:57 PM »
They've said "Make your hero a villain, or make your villain a hero" every single time. I'm not sure how people are misinterpreting that.

Steiner

• Elite Boss
    • Steinerd.com
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2009, 11:15:27 PM »
MMORPG.com: Will what your character does in the parallel universe affect the character in the "real" universe, or are the two separate?

Matt Miller: The two universes are separate, but joined. What your character does in one only truly affects that one, but that can have repercussions across both worlds.

"Alternate Universe"

From what I'm reading it pretty much sounds like your Villain can only be a Hero in this "alternate universe" however, he's kind of leading us on the believe that it will hold some weight on the "real" universe.
~Steinerd

Dark Horizon

• Minion
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2009, 07:37:55 PM »
The thing I'm not entirely understanding is (probably because they haven't been clear) whether Rogue will be required to continue playing the game even if you have no interest in playing Rogue, or if it will be optional like CoV is/was.  And how come only certain people got the email?

And what's wrong with green fire?  I can think of one comic book character off the top of my head who has fire powers with green effects.

SaintNicster

• Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2009, 08:02:16 PM »
The thing I'm not entirely understanding is (probably because they haven't been clear) whether Rogue will be required to continue playing the game even if you have no interest in playing Rogue, or if it will be optional like CoV is/was.  And how come only certain people got the email?

I'm guessing it'll be very similar to when Villains was released.  Want access to the "going rogue" system (maybe as as 'do you want to access Praetoria')?  Pay for the box.  Don't pay for the box, don't get access.

Also, they send out the emails in batches, as to not to overwhelm the servers.  Couple that with one batch going out waaay early, and potentially being caught by spam filters or clogged tubes delays things.

Catharctic

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2009, 08:16:36 PM »
The difference between GR and COV is that GR is not a stand-alone. You must have COH/V to get GR. I'm thinking that should lead to a lower price point for a barebones version of it, but we'll see.

Dark Horizon

• Minion
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2009, 08:25:00 PM »
The difference between GR and COV is that GR is not a stand-alone. You must have COH/V to get GR. I'm thinking that should lead to a lower price point for a barebones version of it, but we'll see.
Ah, yeah, I forgot.  My initial purchase was the GvE edition, some part of my tiny brain keeps wanting to think CoV required CoH, when it never did.

Voltaic Shock

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2009, 01:19:58 PM »
I just want to get villain badges on my hero so I only have one character to worry about for badges - :P
@Voltaic Shock[/b]
TN Admin, CIT Co-Creator, CGT Developer, Obsolete
---------------------------

http://www.motorcyclistsunited.com/  http://www.YourFreeiPhone.com/index.php?ref=5292707

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2009, 03:46:50 PM »

While we're waiting for the offical forum to come back up, this might be a good time to repost the parts of that NCSoft marketing surey that focus on GR.
I know it shouldn't be taken as totally true, but the details of MA in it ended up matching the MA we got in I14 - so it's still useful for a general idea of what they might be planning for the expansion, I think ;)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
City of Heroes and City of Villains let players create unique characters and set forth as virtuous Heroes or evil Villains in a MMO comic book inspired universe. This expansion to the City of Heroes/Villains universe blurs the line between good and evil, between hero and villain. The Going Rogue system is a new game dynamic for City of Heroes and City of Villains that allows players to alter the morality of their characters, eventually opening up the opportunity to turn their Hero into a Villain or vice versa.

By visiting different contacts in the game, players can start the process of "moving their moral compass" towards being a hero or a villain. Making this choice dramatically alters the gameplay for the player, as they will now be able to bring an Archetype (class) that was previously only available to players of City of Heroes into City of Villains, and vice versa. Once a character has switched sides, they can continue down the path they have chosen, or use the opportunity to subvert their new allies through a series of espionage-style missions.

In addition to this new game altering dynamic, new neutral starting zones allow new players to select their Archetype (class) first, and then let their actions determine their hero, villain or rogue identities. At the high levels, rewards for these moral choices will be found in new PVP, PVE and Co-op zones. Accomplishments will lead to rewards that will significantly distinguish level 50 characters from one another.One such reward is the Universal Enhancement Slots. Ten Universal Enhancement Slots are available to be earned in the expansion, and each one has the potential of adding significant power to the character, essentially bringing them to a hypothetical "Level 60" once they have earned all ten slots.

For existing City of Heroes and City of Villains players who have previously reached the level cap of 50, the Expansion will take them into outer space where they can now find challenges that test their powers and skills to the max. On an alien space station that mysteriously appears over Earth, Heroes and Villains will race to unlock the secrets of the place and be the first to reap the rewards that are only available to the best of the best.

A brand new Spy Archetype (class), power sets and player costume options will lead to a massive amount of new character and gameplay options. And a significantly enhanced character creator system will now allow characters to customize the effects (looks and colors) of their super powered attacks and defenses.

Here is some other things that were mentioned in the survey...

1.) New high level Space Station Zones (PVE, PVP, & Co-op)
2.) Characters that do not wish to change sides are rewarded by becoming exemplary heroes or villains, and earning rewards not available any other way
3.) Heroes and villains who go to the other side can also act as Double-Agents
4.) Character Creator 2.0 includes Powers Customization, allowing players to customize not only the character, but also the actual look of its powers
5.) Players undertake missions that define their character's morality and steer them in a more heroic or villainous direction
6.) By switching sides (going from good to bad or bad to good), players can access content "on the other side" (heroes can experience villain zones and content, and villains can experience hero zones and content)
7.) Completely new low-level player experience/zones for new characters in which new characters do not begin a hero or villain, rather become one or the other through early gameplay
8.) New Spy Archetype, Power Sets & Costumes
9.) Universal Enhancement Slots - at level 50, these enhance powers to the character, essentially bringing them to a hypothetical "Level 60" once they have earned all ten slots
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From this, it looks like Power Customiation was originally going to be part of GR, but they brought it forward to I16 instead.
The double agent and super enhancement stuff sounds really interesting, I think  ;D
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

Catharctic

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2009, 02:13:20 PM »

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2009, 02:52:46 PM »
Aw, man.  I'll just barely be shy of the 60 mo. category for beta (just got my 57.)

Oh well.  I'm sure there will still be plenty of bugs to find when I get in there.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

Fleeting Whisper

• Elite Boss
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2009, 04:44:27 PM »
Dang, if they keep releasing "Be on the 12-mo plan, get 2 months free" deals, I'll never have to pay for CoH time again :D

Catwhoorg

• Minion
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2009, 05:37:35 PM »
Not subtle at all, and IMHO a great move for NCsoft to make.

Depending upon exactly when they check the 60 month cutoff I may or may not make it (my 60 months is in October), but I nabbed the 12+2 for thr 2 accounts that got it as Christmas and renewed.

Anyone know if I can take an account that has 12+2 from Christmas that hasn't billed yet, and add this 12+2 for the billing cycle afterwards ?
Catwhoorg Claws/Regen/Awesome of Triumph

Dabbling with CO and LOTRO.

Mainly playing single player games and PBEM wargames.

Catharctic

« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2009, 05:53:07 PM »
Aw, man.  I'll just barely be shy of the 60 mo. category for beta (just got my 57.)

Oh well.  I'm sure there will still be plenty of bugs to find when I get in there.

Well, it's "paid time" as of November 15th. Check to see where you'll be at that time. You could always buy a GTC from Amazon to bump it if you want.

Catharctic

« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2009, 05:54:11 PM »
Anyone know if I can take an account that has 12+2 from Christmas that hasn't billed yet, and add this 12+2 for the billing cycle afterwards ?

Go to your account management page and click on the Special Offer banner.  :)

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2009, 06:30:57 PM »
Well, it's "paid time" as of November 15th. Check to see where you'll be at that time. You could always buy a GTC from Amazon to bump it if you want.

I might be OK if they're calculating it that way.  My current 6 mo. billing cycle ends on Nov. 26.  It's showing I'll have credit for 4 Years, 7 Months paid time on that date, but my Vet Rewards time calculated to that date is showing 5 Years, 1 Months.  (I've gotten a few people to sign up through Refer-A-Friend.)
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2009, 06:58:34 PM »
I have seven months more vet time than paid time, though I won't qualify either way for the 60mo reward.

Though I have a huge suspicion it's going to turn into "paid time or vet time, whichever is higher" if enough people make a stink about it. Which if the official forums weren't down, we would have seventeen threads about it already. :p
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Fleeting Whisper

• Elite Boss
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2009, 07:08:39 PM »
"paid time or vet time, whichever is higher"
Er... isn't paid time always higher than (or equal to) vet time?

SaintNicster

• Elite Boss
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2009, 07:13:52 PM »

Total Paid Time:     4 Years, 5 Months
 Veteran Rewards Time:    5 Years, 3 Months

I've bought every box (except for the CoV regular edition), pay monthly, and also used the "Refer a friend" and "Invite a friend back" program a couple of times.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2009, 07:20:25 PM »
Yes, but the announcement currently states only paid time.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2009, 08:35:59 PM »
I like this new loyalty promotion - new badges are never a bad thing ;D

Well, there were those MA ones, but still... :P
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com