Author Topic: HeroStats/ Glycerine question?  (Read 2919 times)

Orangeblooded

• Underling
HeroStats/ Glycerine question?
« on: April 16, 2009, 06:21:28 PM »
Do either of these work with Vista? If not will there be any attempt to make one or the other compatible with Vista? Just curious.

Shorts

• Minion
Re: HeroStats/ Glycerine question?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 06:24:25 PM »
Both work fine under Vista and probably Windows 7 as well. One gotcha is that both (even herostats as of 4.6.0.0) requires administrator priviledges to run.
Excreta ergo sum.

Tazhyngarth

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 06:38:51 PM »
HS specifically has several ways of getting itself to work in Vista.  This coming from several Users with various specs.  One of which was as Shorts said, "Adminstrative Priviledges", another was to select the Program to run in compatibilty mode with any Windows Version in the List that appears.

Users have gotten HS to run without problems by either using 1 or both or none of those settings...it's strange really, but totally true.  The main difference being the OS, Vista Home, Professional, 64, etc, seem to be why it works this way.

I don't believe we foresee any problems from HS or Gly with Windows 7, but time will tell.

umber

• Boss
    • My CoH Characters
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 02:48:49 AM »
Herostats and Glycerine run fine under Vista and Windows 7, but as for Vista I've yet to successfully get it to be visible while playing CoH via "hovering over" the game.  It still fetches the game data but I can't see any of it while gaming which makes my primary usage of reminders-to-rebubble kinda pointless.  I've tried disabling Aero, display themes, and/or running as Administrator, none worked (altho I think the permissions issue is unusual in my case, the gaming rig is a member of a domain of which my login acct is a domain admin). 

The 'Troubleshoot Compatibility' wizard in Windows 7 is kinda nifty I must admit.  Just didn't help in this case.

Tazhyngarth

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 01:35:13 PM »
Are you saying that the HeroStats "In-game Mode" is not working?

Just want to clarify which Program you are talking about as you mention both HS and Gly, then just say "...successfully get it to be visible..."

umber

• Boss
    • My CoH Characters
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 11:23:56 PM »
Are you saying that the HeroStats "In-game Mode" is not working?

Just want to clarify which Program you are talking about as you mention both HS and Gly, then just say "...successfully get it to be visible..."

Sorry for the lack of clarity, for me Herostats functions in both Vista and Windows 7 in that it successfully grabs game data, but in neither Vista nor Windows 7 does the In-Game Display overlay appear.  HS properly tracks all my character data but since my main usage for the program is to remind me when to rebubble the lack of visuals while gaming is a deal-breaker for me.

Glycerine was working for me but in my testing I must have set one of the compatability options differently, I can't get it to fetch user data at all now.  Will explore that when time permits.

ineffablebob

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 04:24:12 AM »
Sorry for the lack of clarity, for me Herostats functions in both Vista and Windows 7 in that it successfully grabs game data, but in neither Vista nor Windows 7 does the In-Game Display overlay appear.  HS properly tracks all my character data but since my main usage for the program is to remind me when to rebubble the lack of visuals while gaming is a deal-breaker for me.
That's a known issue with HeroStats and Vista. Up until a few weeks ago, I didn't have Vista (or W7) myself, so I wasn't able to try to fix it. There's a really simple workaround - run your game in Windowed mode and just make the window however large you want. The in-game mode works fine then. You lose a few pixels off your screen real estate for the window border and title bar, but otherwise I've noticed no ill effects.

I do intend to look at this when I have time, now that I have a Vista machine to play with. I don't know if a code fix is even possible with the technologies that HeroStats currently uses, though.
Skip

Character List
HeroStats Developer
Proud Member of Legion of Valor and Fallen Legion