Author Topic: Star Trek Fleet Command  (Read 7006 times)

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
Star Trek Fleet Command
« on: July 10, 2022, 10:10:15 PM »
After seeing another ad with major Star Trek actors in it telling me to play Star Trek Fleet Command... I finally did because they put it on PC. It was originally a phone app. I don't know much else about the game except it has some nice visuals and is supported by Paramount and it has lots of nicely done characters you'll know if you're a Trek fan.

STFC is no Star Trek Online... but, for what it is - a 4x game with timers on most everything, it looks pretty darn interesting and I had fun in my 30 minutes or so of play so far.

I got into a Fleet(?) with the push of a button and with the push of another button was getting help from Fleeties minutes later to speed up my productions. I didn't have to come up with a character name (but I can) or even give an e-mail address...! I win all my space battles and know how to fix my ship and upgrade my crew and base (sorta). There's also been some exploration and building so far in the game.

A nice visual representation of Geordi La Forge led the tutorial and I have a nice visual representation of Deanna Troi in my crew.

I just dropped a game due to I have no time for 3.. so I dunno where this is gonna go. But, hey, it's Trek! And it's got Paramount backing and you can see TV ads with some of the main Trek characters and it looks cool, has been entertaining, and I'm sure there's some other Trek fans here, so.... There ya go. What else do you really need to know..?

Check it out if you get bored! Might be a good game to play at work... or for when you just wanna Trek out a lil without getting into something as huge as STO.
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Xev

• Elite Boss
Re: Star Trek Fleet Command
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2022, 02:50:03 PM »
Soooo I spent some hours playing, and... I'll be darn it's pretty fun.

One standout, is, you don't go through any of that registering business.. No coming up with a username/toon name or figuring out what e-mail address to share. When I installed the game apparently it stamped it with my unique ID and away we go. How that might work out down the line I have no way of knowing but my initial reaction is YAY. CHEER. These two little things are actually 2 huge things to be able to skip on starting a new game. They are to me anyway and I can't remember ever being able to do it before so it seems worth mentioning and applauding.

There's tons of missions in this game and tons of 3d models of ST characters. That right there should satisfy most Trek fans. I mean, you don't have to go far to get me to play a Trek game. My first PC game ever was a Trek game which was a tough choice between it and the first Might and Magic(?) and the first King's Quest(?) and(?).

Star Trek: The Rebel Universe. The title just popped into my head. I ended up getting those other games later on and many many more but Star Trek (for over 50 bucks even way back then!) was my first.

Anyway, yay.

Oh, and, if you doooo try it.. I do believe they use peer to peer on their installs if you don't disable it and their launcher runs in the background until you exit the game... Naughty Naughty. But if you're playing a Trek game you're probably smart enough to figure that out.
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2022, 10:42:11 PM »
Why did Star Trek Online never get a great TV ad with actual Trek characters like this game does?? pffft. Great and TV ad normally never even go together. This game is good but STO is huuge - it should get some luv too.
Some Faves:

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2022, 11:41:07 PM »
Especially given how many of the actors reprised their roles to voice their characters in STO.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2022, 07:51:57 PM »
Especially given how many of the actors reprised their roles to voice their characters in STO.

It's true! There's a lot of Trek luv in STO.

Which got me thinking... Why am I playing a phone app that just came to PC about Star Trek, when, I could be playing the ultimate Trek game that I also spent a lot of time developing characters in and always enjoy playing when I do play. If I'm gonna put precious game time into a Trek game then why not STO.

So I went back to STO and hey I even still have one of my mains in a good Fleet. Ran a patrol... Took me like 3 minutes to figure out why my weapons weren't firing and then all was good and it was fun.

Then... I saw that goofy ST Fleet Command ad again and wasn't ready to be done with the game yet.

I like STFC because it's new (to me)... and because I can feel like I'm progressing without much commitment - just log in a few times or so a day for a few minutes or so. And I like it because it's Trek, and, they have lots of character models, and, there's lots of new buttons to click and places to go and things to see.

STFC is Paramount... STO is CBS. Paramount does like to stamp its name on Trek things. Maybe that's why we see STFC ads and not STO. With Paramount's seeming desire to own all things Trek, STO is one of the few Trek things Paramount's not hoarding.

I'm not looking forward to the PvP as it feels like I might have to start putting in actual effort at that point. So, I'm upgrading every single thing that doesn't force me into it, first.

Oh hey! One thing STFC has that STO doesn't (afaik!)... Lower Decks characters.. I can have Lower Decks characters in my STFC crew hehe.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 07:57:45 PM by Xev »
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2022, 11:15:20 PM »
Now I see why they make chat small and unreadable unless you expand it to take up half the screen (your only two options), which, you probably won't want to do for long due to... it takes up half the screen.

Chat in this game is nonstop toxic. I can log in any day of the week anytime day or night and nearly always find people bickering. On and on and on..

There is sooooo little talk about Trek and playing the game. I get the impression that many/most couldn't care less that it even is a Trek or space game - it's just a random pvp game to them. It's more about being in the military and how crappy person X is. And how you can't be a good player unless you buy your way there with more cash than the next person did.  Sooo much elitism..

Star Trek Online has a lot of military people in it too which is why I wanted to get my dad into it and almost did but we ran out of time. STO isn't so in your face about it. Well, and, as far as I remember we all pretty well stuck to playing the game. And most/all(?) were actual Trek/Space fans.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 11:20:23 PM by Xev »
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2022, 01:47:53 AM »
About STFC global (Galaxy) chat it must thankfully be noted that there are more than one servers, and, you can't see what the other servers are saying. Tried a quick google.. I don't know how many there are.

I don't know what their numbering system is but we just got raided by server 80something in a cross-server event.

So, when I was commenting on STFC chat I was giving all servers a bad rap. I'm only seeing one. My bad..
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2022, 02:33:32 AM »
This is a pretty darn good phone game. I don't usually get into phone games much... I mean.. they're tiny... I'm used to playing on a large screen tv.. And I always seem to end up mashing buttons to get them to work. STFC is fairly easy to play on a phone and when I hit a button it nearly always knows. It's a very similar experience to playing STFC on PC.

So, my imaginary magazine rack next to the toilet has been replaced and this will probably be my new go-to game on the stationary bike for awhile too, now.

Oh and you can play on the same servers with the same account on the Phone as you can on PC. Handy. But then you have to share your e-mail address and make a Scopely account.. Not so handy. So, I made a new account for the new magazine rack and might just stay on a different server (I can move one time up to level 12) just to see what I'm missing.

Incursions... 

STFC just completed their first one since I started. I wasn't high enough level (pvp enabled) to participate (I'm building up first... I hope that's what I'm doing anyway...) but from what I gather your server gets another server designated as its target and you can go there (and can come back) and are recalled 24(?)ish hours later. During your... visitation you are free to plunder at will anyone who's unshielded and pvp enabled (like you can on your home server). I don't know how level ranges work for pvp yet but from what I gather once you are pvp enabled there is a wide level range you can attack/be attacked by. So it's fight or hide or shield (makes you invul and can be activated during combat, and, automatically occurs for 10 minutes for free (1-2 hour refresh) when someone pings you - to give you time to put up one of your own shields, which, come in sizes like.. 4-8 hours and 1-7 days) or share time for the invaded servers. Shields can be earned, daily, for free, by doing usually not-so-difficult Dailies. Up to like... 20hrs of shield per day I think? 12 for sure.

I never thought I would root for an opposing server in a pvp game... but I sure did, here.. It was the best 24 hours of Global/Galaxy chat since I started playing... That's what spurred my apology, above, about Galaxy Chat. I found out there are many more than 1 servers and I only see one, and, the one I had been seeing is not what I would call representative of the best of STFC chat.

After we got our @sses handed to us in the Incursion....

The improvement in Galaxy Chat has remained. Less elitism (LOL) and bickering and non-game chat. Definitely changed my attitude towards the better towards the STFC community.

Anyway, that's all I've got for now.. I seem to keep advancing in this game and am enjoying the new magazine rack.

Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2022, 04:28:11 PM »
You know what, for pvp that has such simple rules, that's all that ppl seem to do is argue about them... (As I wait for battle reports that never come...) There are people that I talk to in different Alliances in STFC that are actually extremely similar, the dirty pirates, and they think they have nothing in common when in fact they play the game exactly the same.

For example... people cannot seem to grasp the concept that the alliance PIRATE'S Life... is made up of PIRATES! It's what they do. They follow the pirate's code.. The difference between them and real pirates is they follow the Server Code, too. They lawfully pirate. But people don't get why they do it. DAMMIT it's the PIRATE ALLIANCE... get it? Nuuu.... No they do not. The person I talk with in that alliance (after he pirated me repeatedly...) explaaaaained to me the Pirate's Code and that he falls asleep on the keyboard following it. It's what they do... It's why he joined their alliance. To play pirate..

Seems simple huh? I mean I just started playing the game weeks ago and there's ppl been there for years haven't figured that out yet. They're not obscure they're probably the top Alliance in the game when it comes to points.
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2022, 07:16:52 PM »
This has to be the least visual pleasing, most cash-grabbing, mmo, that I've played in the last 10 yearsish. The global/galaxy chat has more people in my block list (mostly from 1 alliance) than all other games I've played in the last 30+ years.. combined. Matter of fact, I think I never completely avoided global chat except to scan if for any morsel of usefulness or entertainment until now. Not in a major title themed game, for sure, like Star Trek is.

And yet it's become my main game! lol! And I've interacted more in this game than in all games combined since CoH.

Go figure...

No guarantee at all on how long I'm sticking around but up until now STFC has managed to steal me away somehow. Mostly due to the bridge officer mini-game I think, up to now. Should finally be doing some player base raids soon.. like maybe next week. Starting to run out of reasons why not to level up to pvp lvl and start hitting the unshielded and un-upgraded. Muahahahaha *ahem* yeah.
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2022, 07:46:56 AM »
I got my alliance unKOSd by 5 or 6 other alliances. That was interesting.. It just kinda happened.

Finally pulled the pin minutes ago... level 15.. base raiding time. Time to shield up. Shield or share! The shell is off! Turtle mode off! PvP mode on!

Things are either going to start getting more interesting or I'll suck at this and be quitting soon. We'll see how it goes. I can't be any more prepped and ready.. well barely could.. I could play PvE, mostly, due to shields that protect bases that we get by doing dailies and rules of engagement that protect mining/farming, but, if I play PVE I'm gonna play the ultimate trek pve - Star Trek Online.

Wow I've been leading up to this since *scrolls down* nearly 2 months! Wish me luck!
Some Faves:

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2022, 03:15:26 AM »
Damn the photon torpedoes!  Warp 9 ahead!
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2022, 01:36:39 AM »
I've become kinda the acting admiral, here.. It's been interesting. The politics mini-game. Can't ever become real admiral because I'm apparently one of those fringe.... people that don't want to make a discord account. Don't wanna be admiral anyway, just saying. I just kinda spoke up about us getting poached and one thing led to another.

In other news.. when I get to 20 I've got a spot in the equivalent of the top raiding alliance on the server..! Just getting invited without asking is kinda cool.

I won't be running out on anyone. I shared real early on with anyone that might want to know that it was just a place to turtle up for me and watch videos until I figured some newb things out. Just for the record!

For the record, also, I'm currently at warp *19* without getting any special bridge officer aid tyvm!

Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2022, 04:13:06 PM »
Correction.. I'm such a newb... my warp RANGE is currently 19 with warp SPEED being a puny 3.. Cadet Scotty can add 4, currently, to my warp range. Just to set the record straight! (lol..)

If I can ever get the mats for the last upgrade on my current best ship I can squeeze another 3 warp range outta'er and maybe .2 warp.

I got a 7 day peace shield when turning 15 that protects my base as long as I don't attack another player (npc attacks are ok) but I'm starting to run out of reasons to hide behind it...

My first player base attack is imminent..!

Meanwhile, it's turtle up time again when it comes to levelling - time to save up those speedups and latinum and then it's hopefully a sprint from 17 to 22 and a ship that's over 3x better than my current best. Meanwhile, I have one of the most kitted out ships for my level range...muahahahaha I'm so ready to let it loose (along with one of the most kitted out battleships around!) .. almost completely ready, Finally!
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2022, 08:54:58 PM »
Global chat in this game is SO easy to troll. Every day.. day in, day out.. Same people. Month after month, the very same people.

I try to teach their feeders in private messages "Don't Feed The Trolls". Otherwise they never leave. They feed... on you. Getting mad and calling them names is... Food.

People don't get it though. Perfectly intelligent seeming people *feed feed feed*. Day in, day out, telling trolls how horrible they are *feed feed*.

Lordy...

I've been chalking it up to the fact that this game started on Phone. I'm guessing this is a Phone Game thing.. But sheesh, wise up already huh? The trolls wouldn't still be at it if they didn't have such a GREAT source of FOOD. geez..

This is fully covered in Internet 101...
Some Faves:

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2022, 01:58:37 AM »
Sometimes I wonder if situations like that aren't trolls with multiple accounts talking to themselves just to get other people to take sides.

(The mobile games I usually play have been mostly free of such trolling.  I've been lucky.)
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2022, 07:06:25 AM »
Oh it's the worst - global(galaxy) chat. Foul. They even have foul character names that they bend around the bad language filter. You wouldn't invite anyone like your mom or a young kid to play this game. Nonstop petty bickering. One side giving the grief, the other side feeding them to continue. Every single day and night. I finally got sick of reading it and blocked an entire (small) alliance weeks ago and never looked back. These trolls like to change their names every day or so so you never know who you're talking to at first but they're all in the same Alliance so I just started blocking the whole alliance when seeing them in chat. I blocked a couple of foul people from other Alliances or who are rogue but they aren't nearly as active.

I've talked to people that saw the tv ads for this game like me and thought the game would be fun and ended up saying 'yeah, this isn't what I expected' and poof they are gone. I mean, trek followers generally aren't foul. The atmosphere this game always gets dragged back to is nothing like what Trek preaches.

I think since my first online game I never blocked anyone for anything other than like gold spammers. I've prided myself on not blocking people.. but man.. it just never stops with these guys and it never will as long as they get attention and so many people don't seem to get that. It's diarrhea of the mouth and I just got tired of it after awhile being the same thing over and over. I don't think it's one person because before I blocked them I had one of them in private messages while a couple of the others were going on in chat. As far as getting people to take sides it's always the foul pointless side (always the same people) and everyone else. I wouldn't be surprised if they were Russian propagandists the way they make American military looks so .. bad. And again, if they weren't encouraged so much I'm nearly certain they wouldn't still be there. At the very least chat would be better because most of what it is now is troll feeding due to I have the trolls blocked but not the feeders.

What's almost just as bad is those people that continue to respond to them. It's the same thing every day and night. 'I'm saying repulsive things', 'you're repulsive', 'I'm saying repulsive things', 'you're repulsive'... someone take that record off and break it and then burn it, sheesh..

Often these are reasonable sounding adults we're talking about and they're not idiots... but they are! How hard is it to just ignore the hatemongers and raid their bases....? They're already officially serverwide KOS. They ruin the chat. You can't have any kinda decent game chat before it gets dragged into the muck.

I really wouldn't expect this kind of thing in a major title game, especially Star Trek! But there it is.

There's more people that play the game that are actually .. normal and nice than aren't but they get chased out of chat due to it's a lost cause. Chat is mostly dominated, or at least sidetracked by, the same trolls every day and those that feed them.
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2022, 04:03:14 PM »
Got kinda wordy last night..

It all boils down to this in chat..

The people I blocked push buttons and often about nothing to do with the game. If it is actually about the game it's just to get the ball rolling for what comes next.. then a normal (but so damn naive) person will try and reason with them. When reasoning doesn't work it turns into a poo slinging contest. Then there is a lull... Then maybe some game chatter.. Then it all starts all over gain.

A variation on this is.. the normal but naive person will try and argue with them or put them down due to being in Situation A, above, X amount of times (whatever their limit is) already.

The result is always the same. Things get dragged into the muck and then it's a muck throwing contest. Then there's a lull... then maybe people game chat a little or just dive straight back into the muck.

These trolls are whales, too. I left that part out up to now but it is a point of interest. I dunno if they all are (due to I didn't stick around long enough or pay enough attention when I was listening) but from what I remember about before I blocked them - they always were bragging how money didn't matter to them and they were also all retired and had all the time in the world for payback. The guy from them that I was private messaging before I decided to block them all, his only advice was what to buy, when I was trying to learn the game at first. His only not financial advice was dead wrong and cost me days to fix (faction thing).
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2022, 06:46:59 PM »
I ran across this very accurate description of STFC in the Other Games/Star Trek Online topic and had to share:

If you want REAL disappointment from a Trek game try playing Star Trek Fleet Command. It's an abomination of everything trek stands for and has the absolute worse support ever.

Worst support! Worst! Not 'Worse'. I should make my proofreader play STFC.
Some Faves:

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2022, 05:56:10 PM »
I could believe that. However, I think sto is in the lead by a hair. Cryptic keeps on lying about the old missions coming back. They aren't.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.