Author Topic: Wing Commander Academy  (Read 1812 times)

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
Wing Commander Academy
« on: January 01, 2022, 08:32:24 PM »
I found this little freebie gem on Peacock.

If you ever played original Wing Commander on PC.... You may vaguely remember some names in this old cartoon.. The Killrathi.. Malcolm McDowell.. Mark Hamill.. errr... Tom Wilson (the bully from Back to the Future). Maverick... Maniac... Col whathisname Talbot?

I'm only like one episode in, but, the nostalgia was so overwhelming I had to post. I can remember exactly what I was doing when this game was new. Good times.

I would reserve this for Saturday/Sunday morning cartoon viewing or whenever you're in that frame of mind. I'm not sure if you have to have had an experience with Wing Commander, the game, to enjoy this. It definitely helps.
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
Re: Wing Commander Academy
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2022, 05:00:19 AM »
I remember this coming out and not lasting very long.  I enjoyed a couple of the games, but my brief brush with this show didn't leave much of an impression.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
Re: Wing Commander Academy
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2022, 05:00:29 PM »
Your brief brush with the show...hehe.

That's how I watch this one. In brief brushes. It's definitely not one of those binge things, to me.

Wing Commander was one of those iconic type games, though. It was the first PC game to have actual actors that you would actually recognize. Malcolm McDowell in a PC game?? And.. those other dudes who you would have probably known at that time.

Mark Hamill sure has come a long way, huh?

People got new PCs just to play this game. I paid my rent building gaming machines at the time so that gets a yay from me. 4x DVD drives were the hot new thing at that time if I remember right.. Or wait.. no.. weren't they 4x *CD* drives....?? Optical drives were hot new tech, so, they must have been CD.. I should look it up but some things I just try to remember on my own.. 4x I remember for sure and it was a big step up for a game like this that had long loading times if you weren't on the cutting edge.

Thrustmasters (joystick) were a thing but not really mine.. Ohhh ahh and maybe a new mega 19" gaming monitor. Had to at least get a 17".

That was back when if your PC was a year old it really was sadly out of date for playing new games.

Good Times..

Anyway, yeah. I never knew they made a cartoon from the game, and, they put the actors from the game in the cartoon, and, one of those cartoon voice actors turned into a voice actor we all lub, now, soooooo.. that's what made me bring it up. Well and it's free on Peacock so anyone can see it.

Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>