Author Topic: Spider-Man: No Way Home  (Read 3089 times)

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
Spider-Man: No Way Home
« on: December 24, 2021, 05:54:24 AM »
GO SEE THIS MOVIE!!! IT'S WORTH YOUR MONEY AND THE HYPE IS REAL!!! ALSO, BRING SOME TISSUES!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
Re: Spider-Man: No Way Home
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2021, 06:17:23 AM »
I'll see it when it's up for streaming rental at a reasonable price.  I'm done with theaters.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2022, 08:11:10 PM »
I'm done with theaters.

I wanna tell some movie theater stories but with difficulty I'm gonna restrain my off-topic self and just say I haven't gone in forever, either, but, I have many great theater memories. Especially as a kiddy kid when I got into the movies for free for years.

Of course that was pre-living in a plastic bubble and pre-covid.

I can relate with both sides. I have no urge whatsoever to hit a theater right now but I'm rooting for movie theaters and their magic.
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2022, 04:55:56 AM »
Oh, I have some fond memories.  I never liked crowds, but when I was younger streaming wasn't an option and the time between theater and home/rental release could be quite lengthy.  The $1.50 theater might even get a movie before Blockbuster.  So I frequented theaters more often once upon a time...

But the last straw for me was assigned seating.  No more getting there early and getting the position I want.  Johnny Membership already reserved it in advance and may not even show up to use it.  Also, while I used to drink absurd amounts of liquid without needing a trip to the restroom, I now find the ability to pause a movie invaluable.  Hooray for streaming.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2022, 06:02:49 PM »
Assigned seating?? Wha?? No way. That can't be everywhere? Is that just a covid thing?

Most of the movie theater movies I saw were probably the matinees I saw in a mall as a kid when I could get away from my parents shop. Matinees showing in a small city while most people who can afford to go to movies are at work. Sometimes it was just me and like 1 - 3 others. The movie ratings only significance was that I might have to sneak in. One time it was just me and another kid my age who shared this shopping bag full of popcorn he snuck in. Ah, the sticky floors.. I tried like every seat to find the perfect ones. Sometimes I just liked to sit in the back. I can't even imagine assigned seating.

I totally get the concept of being at home where I am king of the castle, for watching movies. That's where I am. I totally get the concept of some movies are meant to be seen in the theater, too. It's just not the same with lesser tech and atmosphere than in a theater.
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2022, 01:27:14 AM »
Assigned seating?? Wha?? No way. That can't be everywhere? Is that just a covid thing?

They (mostly AMC, if I recall correctly) started experimenting with that before the virus hit, but it's been pretty well cemented by the pandemic.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2022, 02:46:34 AM »
I don't get how assigned seating is supposed to be safer. I don't get how it's even desirable.

I mean... maybe if you're with friends and want to be guaranteed you all sit together.. And you're no good at playing seat Tetris until you all fit into a good/decent spot.

No more getting there early and getting the position I want.  Johnny Membership already reserved it in advance and may not even show up to use it.

So wait, what..? I get to reserve a seat(s) right there in the middle? Who reserves the seats that are on the ends in the front row??? LOL... Someone, I guess? Do they get a major discount? Or are those just the seats you get stuck with if you don't call soon enough for a reservation or don't have some kind of special membership?

Ahh that's it, isn't it.. Theaters are trying to make a buck from people who can't be bothered with looking for a good seat or the possibility to get a bad seat by signing them up for some kinda subscription.

Some Faves:

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2022, 03:35:30 AM »
I don't get how assigned seating is supposed to be safer. I don't get how it's even desirable.
In that regard, it's not about the seats you have, it's about the seats that no one has.  That puts some distance between you and people you don't know.  And they don't have names on tickets or anything.  It's not airline seating, it's concert or sporting event seating where you have a ticket with a seat number on it, but no name.

If you didn't reserve a seat ahead of time online, you just select your seat right there at the ticket kiosk in the theater.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2022, 03:46:00 AM »
It's not airline seating, it's concert or sporting event seating where you have a ticket with a seat number on it, but no name.

Yeah, so I can get season tickets...? And I always get to sit in seat xxx? And if I don't show up my seat is still reserved?

Some Faves:

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2022, 01:45:14 PM »
Well, I suppose AMC does have a monthly subscription you can pay for.  But you have to pick your seat each time you go.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2022, 04:19:12 AM »
Well Tenzhi was the one who said you couldn't

pick your seat each time you go.

So when I read

No more getting there early and getting the position I want.  Johnny Membership already reserved it in advance and may not even show up to use it.

I didn't get it. Sounded bad. Like people could reserve the best seats if they had some kinda membership.

Then I read
But you have to pick your seat each time you go.
and wonder how that is any different than normal.

------
I'm being thick I guess and on top of it I'll not be going to any movies anytime soon so it's no big deal. I just couldn't imagine someone reserving an empty seat in front of me at the theater here.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 04:25:43 AM by Xev »
Some Faves:

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2022, 05:03:17 AM »
You walk in or log in online to buy a ticket to the movie you want to see.  You choose how many tickets you want.  You are then presented with a seating chart for the theater and asked to select your seats.  You pick the seats you want and submit.  You then receive a ticket or tickets with the seat number(s) printed on it.

If you buy the ticket ahead of time, you could quite certainly reserve a seat and then not show up and screw someone else out of getting that seat.  But you can't just call dibs on one seat in the theater to guarantee you'll get that seat every time you buy a ticket.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2022, 08:07:39 PM »
You walk in or log in online to buy a ticket to the movie you want to see.  You choose how many tickets you want.  You are then presented with a seating chart for the theater and asked to select your seats.  You pick the seats you want and submit.  You then receive a ticket or tickets with the seat number(s) printed on it.

Why bother..

I like the old way better. Hand over money. Get change and ticket. Go find seat without a line waiting behind me and I'm in the actual theater when I choose my seat, not looking at a picture of it (that didn't show the person with the huge turban/cowboy hat/afro/body in front of my seat).

It's more fun and romantical to go in alone or with friends into a dimly lit theater and treasure hunt for seats, and, I'm not holding up the line like every single person that was in front of me looking at the chart.

It's mildly interesting to be able to pick my seat online.

Oh well, now I know what I'm missing! I'm curious if they even bothered to go that far, here, but not curious enough to buy a ticket so don't check back  : )
Some Faves:

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2022, 05:24:46 AM »
If you buy the ticket ahead of time, you could quite certainly reserve a seat and then not show up and screw someone else out of getting that seat.  But you can't just call dibs on one seat in the theater to guarantee you'll get that seat every time you buy a ticket.

And that happened to me on more than one occasion.  I swear it had to be the same family, because it was like five or six seats.  Unavailable and then empty for the whole movie.

And don't get me started on the computerized chairs...