Author Topic: Stargirl season 1?  (Read 3097 times)

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
Stargirl season 1?
« on: June 06, 2020, 10:32:48 AM »
I guess this is a thing?  You people are supposed to give me a heads up for this sort of thing.  Any first impressions?  I'm gonna start in on it after I catch up on Crisis.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Vee

• Elite Boss
Re: Stargirl season 1?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2020, 12:39:13 PM »
I don't care for it but at least it's not bad in the same way as the CW stuff. Higher production values but for some reason they decided to make it feel like an 80's movie. I guess because that worked so well in Stranger Things, but with the difference being this isn't set in the 80's.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2020, 08:40:03 PM »
It has a decent level of humor to it so far.  Not sure if they'll maintain that all the way through.  It's not Legends campy, just a lot of Joel McHale level snark.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2020, 09:27:20 PM »
Hrm.  Other than the town having a passing resemblance to Hill Valley, I'm not really getting an 80s movie vibe from it.  First episode wasn't bad for a setup, though.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

WanderingAries

• Elite Boss
  • @WanderingAries /\ Mostly on Torch
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2020, 11:43:28 PM »
IDK, took a lot to sit through the whole first ep. Especially with the over the top corny fight thing and the not-Justice League thing.
Find me on Homecoming:
https://www.homecomingservers.com

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2020, 01:59:08 AM »
IDK, took a lot to sit through the whole first ep. Especially with the over the top corny fight thing and the not-Justice League thing.

The Justice Society of America are an actual superhero team in DC comics.  I believe they pre-date the appearance of the Justice League.  In any case, they don't deserve to be disparagingly referred to as "the not-Justice League".  It's unfortunate that they didn't get to include the original Green Lantern in the show's lineup, though.

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2020, 01:30:54 PM »
The Justice Society of America are an actual superhero team in DC comics.  I believe they pre-date the appearance of the Justice League.

Holy cr@p I totally forgot about the JSA. JLA is old, but, yeah, pretty sure that JSA is older (and made less comics?) and they didn't have their own cartoon, like JLA, afaik : ). I seem to remember the JSA team being, not darker, but, hummm.. err.. hmm.. a tiny bit (less polished..?) grittier/tiny bit more Marvelish (who I usually preferred a little).

~~~

I shoulda looked up the wiki, first. JSA has more less-known characters in it. Maybe that's partly where I get the less DC mainstream/less polished memory from.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 01:41:31 PM by Xev »
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2020, 05:12:31 AM »
The costume alteration scene bugged me for a silly reason... if it was that hard to push the needle through the material, the needle would've broke before the motor burned out.  I've had that experience numerous times. 

This is starting to feel like one of those shows I'll end up really enjoying that quickly gets cancelled.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2020, 10:17:19 AM »
Holy cr@p I totally forgot about the JSA. JLA is old, but, yeah, pretty sure that JSA is older (and made less comics?) and they didn't have their own cartoon, like JLA, afaik : ). I seem to remember the JSA team being, not darker, but, hummm.. err.. hmm.. a tiny bit (less polished..?) grittier/tiny bit more Marvelish (who I usually preferred a little).

They're more Golden Age-y.  Despite outlandish bits of weirdness, this allows them to have a sense of down home normalcy.  Sometimes they would call this out in comics as the JSA being more of a family of sorts.

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2020, 01:07:50 PM »
They're more Golden Age-y. 

Not Superman 1st edition Golden Agey but not terribly far from it.

~~~

I should just google it but I'd rather try and go from memory.. JLA was probably Silver Age and Superman 1st is Golden, so, yeah, JSA is probably in the middle and a lil closer to Supes.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 01:14:04 PM by Xev »
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2020, 09:30:45 AM »
I was amused that Lou Ferrigno Jr. plays Hourman, and near the beginning of the episode where they introduce Hourman's son they put Starring Lou Ferrigno Jr. and immediately cut to Hourman's son walking down a lonely road with a duffel bag slung over his shoulder.  I could almost hear the sad piano.  Might've been a coincidence, but it felt like an homage.

HalcyonS

• Boss
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2020, 03:35:29 AM »
I'm going to have to rewatch that episode again as I completely missed that.