Author Topic: STO/NW/CO: Goodbye global chat.  (Read 3510 times)

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
STO/NW/CO: Goodbye global chat.
« on: March 06, 2020, 12:28:27 PM »
This week, Cryptic is shutting down their global chat services across their three games.  That means people playing Star Trek Online won't be able to see their friends login to Champions or Neverwinter anymore.

This could be a harbinger or a non-issue: closing down chat services could allow a new system to take it's place... Or Cryptic/PWE could be gearing up to sell some games of theirs off to generate cash.
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
Re: STO/NW/CO: Goodbye global chat.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2020, 03:34:28 PM »
I'm really not surprised at all by this.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2020, 04:25:16 PM »
This week, Cryptic is shutting down their global chat services across their three games.  That means people playing Star Trek Online won't be able to see their friends login to Champions or Neverwinter anymore.

It's not just Friends we'll lose contact with, it's the games themselves.

I keep track of what's up in CO with their (chatty..) Trade channel and a Friends list that includes the first person who Friended me not long after CoH went down. And a couple of mostly quiet private/player made channels.

I keep track of what's up in STO with the luverly DPS channels and a Friends list.

I guess from NW I'll just miss my Friends list when I'm in STO or CO.

Cross-game channels were first altered for me when I first started playing STO. For ~ a week or so I could see and talk in Trade in CO. After that, I could only read what was going on but that is still pretty helpful so I didn't bitch much and I could kinda see (even if I might not fully agree) why they might not want crosschat on main chat channels.

I have 3 Cryptic accounts. 2 are mine and one I made for my dad right before cancer took him early this year. I never like logging on to the non-main accounts due to they are 'silent' and feel isolated & unconnected. So, I already know what it's like to lose Global/Cross-game channels and it sucks.

Crummy news.

This could be a harbinger or a non-issue: closing down chat services could allow a new system to take it's place... Or Cryptic/PWE could be gearing up to sell some games of theirs off to generate cash.

Or....

https://massivelyop.com/2020/02/28/pax-east-2020-hands-on-with-cryptics-magic-legends/

Or...

Maybe the 1 person in the whole world with genius enough to maintain crossgame chat channels quit or got fired or whatever. I mean, that was the explanation for the Foundry disappearing in STO and NW, right?

Loss sucks but yay that the games are still around and I can still play them. It's been a long time since I played anything other than Cryptic games for any significant length of time or enjoyment.
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 01:50:49 PM »
This week, Cryptic is shutting down their global chat services across their three games.

I haven't wanted to jinx things, especially before a patch day, but, I guess I'll mention anyway - this hasn't happened yet. Hopefully it won't. I like my Multi-Universe channels.
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2020, 12:44:56 AM »
They may have relented after news of the outbreak and "shelter-in-place" orders.
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2020, 01:28:38 AM »
I won't tantrum if Multi-Universe chat goes away but I think it's a great feature of their games and I would miss it in all of them. I think it's something that just about anyone who has a backup game would enjoy having/be glad to gain/be less than glad to lose.

For me, it's not an amazing great thing but it has value and I would miss it.

Some Faves: