Author Topic: Neverwinter  (Read 52629 times)

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
Re: Neverwinter
« Reply #80 on: April 24, 2021, 08:43:24 PM »
That character creator/planner is pretty good... ^^ Its helped me make some significant improvements.

Now I need to find some good guide to keybinds... Neverwinter has the worst documented keybinds of any Cryptic game. I wouldn't want to play STO or CO or CoH without them but I can't figure out how to make 1 useful keybind in Neverwinter.

Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #81 on: May 17, 2021, 02:44:42 PM »
Well... I know this isn't the hottest spot in the world for Neverwinter stuff, but.... I feel compelled to mention this info in case it helps someone not miss out..

Remember those 100% off companions coupon they gave us awhile back after the latest... rework? Well, if you grabbed it you can use it right now to get some of the most uber comps in the game that are in a special limited time bundle that ends Thursday.

4 of the mythic comps you can choose 1 of (plus you can choose 2 legendary including alpha compy and tamed velociraptor btw..) have abilities no other comps have had until now. Most notable are probably the +bonus healing and +forte single stat augment comps. All 3 comps are accountwide reclaimable.

Just look in the Zen store for the Golden Companions bundle. I'm sure glad I got mine! Now I just have to choose the comps..

Never did find a good keybind guide btw! My first Cryptic game not filled with custom keybinds.. It can be so frustrating trying to put that new damn healer mark on someone in a pinch.

Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #82 on: June 04, 2021, 01:55:36 AM »
Oh lord...

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/11489273

Mod 21.

I don't like how they develop this game. I don't like how they developed Champions Online, either. Star Trek Online, now there's a good dev team. All three games are great Cryptic games but only one was blessed with a good dev team. Only one of them is evolving. The other two just... change.
Some Faves:

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #83 on: June 05, 2021, 12:36:22 PM »
I have to admit, that's pretty... um... original.  I've never seen a MMO drastically *drop* the level cap and entirely remove large swaths of the map. (Revamp, sure, but not "vault" like that)

I forget what level I even was when I stopped playing.

Edit: I was going to log in and check, but it told me the update would take three hours, so I just shut it off.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #84 on: July 23, 2021, 09:27:55 PM »
Dangit my mail program hasn't been showing me my Titan updates! So I missed your post until just now. I like it because it makes me feel less like it's just me..

Here's some very bland Preview Reviews picked by Perfect World today.. https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/11492373

All the time they keep saying 'to make Neverwinter more like real D&D' when they talk about quickly getting to level 20 instead of slogging to level 80.. (I've slogged many much sloggier slogs in other games..) "More like real D&D - More Streamlined" to loosely quote many posted statements on the subject.

Every time I read that I think to myself "have you ever levelled a character to 20 in Real D&D?" Have you? Haaaaaave you? No. You have not. If they had they would know there is nothing streamlined about levelling in real D&D unless things have drastically changed since I played (which is possible I guess..). I played on weekends for a couple/few years and never made it past like level 10-12.. 14 at best but I think it was closer to 10. I remember playing forever to get to like level 4 or 5. So I call BS on that whole 'more streamlined like Real D&D" stuff.

And all the zones going away... I still can't believe they already removed my favorite zone (for atmosphere) in the game. Sharandar.

Oh, and I just got all my tradeskills to 80. Guess what the new tradeskill cap is...? Same as the level cap..

Edit: I was going to log in and check, but it told me the update would take three hours, so I just shut it off.

And who are those 3 hours of updates for?

I mean, it's great that they're hard at work but who are they hard at work for? Have you ever, ever, ever, ever, Ever, Once, Ever, heard someone say "omg I love this new mod", ever. I mean, it's like they have an agenda for Neverwinter and are always working on it but who's driving it and where to? I only ever see complaints and people leaving after new mods. It's been that way since the first week I played Neverwinter and the mass exodus that was mod 16 had just happened. They definitely seem to have no concern whatsoever regarding their popularity when it comes to development. It feels like it's all about the New money to me. That could just be me straining to find the logic.

Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #85 on: July 27, 2021, 05:31:01 AM »
Mod 21.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/11492643-patch-notes%3A-version%3A-nw.131.20210712b.7

They really take a lot of chances with Neverwinter. I've put some time into thinking about it and the only reason I can come up with is that they haven't been happy with their playerbase since at least one mod before I started playing a couple of years ago. They seem to constantly be on the search for a new one.

*shrug*

Just my best guess. Can't come up with anything else that makes any sense. I can't remember ever playing a game that radically changed its core so often and so much and never with player support.

The only consistent change seems to be a dumbing down of things. Like you would do if you were trying to go for a new/broader audience?

I don't know. Just guessing. There's been a lot of people leave since I started playing but they've managed to not ruin the game for me so far and I wouldn't mind sticking around to play it some more. We'll just have to wait and see how it goes. Like with every mod. Hopefully they find the playerbase they're into making new mods for eventually. Ones we can look forward to instead of dread. That would be an enormous positive change for Neverwinter all by itself. As-is it's always Russian roulette and a feeling that you're just not the player they're looking for yet.
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #86 on: July 29, 2021, 02:45:49 PM »
Well I couldn't leave things hanging.

I'm not ready to be positive yet but the only real negative I've ran into so far is the new random queues. What a mess. Trials are ok. Skirmishes are ok. Epic dungeons are not ok. Regular dungeons are very not ok.

Bards.

Well, my new Bard seems very traditional to PC bards up to now at level 10. Very true to its predecessors in other games. Awkward to play and plays with its own set of rules. There's people that play Bards and then there's the rest of us.

Having said that, up to now.... mine's fun and I'm curious how it's going to turn out.

I wish I could remember what someone said in Zone so I could quote them and didn't have to say it myself... but I have to admit that with the exception of being about to get booted from my guild (there's another one that's been waiting for me I just don't like packing/unpacking) and the state the Random queues (where I live in all Cryptic games) are in, I'm looking forward to logging in more than I have for a long time. I've just been levelling a new toon though so I have no idea yet what's happened to my regular routine.
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #87 on: August 02, 2021, 06:56:07 PM »
Hey, I'm still in my guild! I hate packing.

So, here's that long-awaited mod 21 review. I'm gonna call it part 1 because I've only experienced part of what's going on now.

The queues are harder.

If you're a new player or maybe even just have a new undergeared toon who hasn't got all its powers yet you might not be able to complete even the simplest random queues.

If you're a seasoned player who may be a little undergeared and unexperienced in the new Epic/Advanced dungeons in the random advanced dungeon queues... you might not be able to complete this dungeon either.

So basically it's like it was when I was a new player, and, when I first felt seasoned.

You are only level 20 now instead of level 80..

Who cares. If you were max level, you still are. If you weren't - it doesn't matter either because levelling is levelling - it's all about the quests you complete, not how many times you ding. They could have chosen to make us ding 100 times before the questlines were over, but, they chose 20.

Which brings me to what I think is the biggest change. You can look at it as good or bad but this is how I look at it - Getting to max level is like running one long tutorial now. For any character you make and level up it's the same quests, the same (nice!) rewards. I said that in Alliance chat and someone said "yeah but it only takes hours to level". Hmm well, if you subtract the time it takes to experiment with your new powers solo and in a team then, yeah, maybe. They aren't like 2 or 3 hours though and you'll do them every time you level a new toon. That is the biggest change in Mod 21. Forced Tutorialvling. (And a bunch of zones that understandably seem to mean a lot to people, but that I personally never go to, went away). I can never remember actively playing a game where every time I made a new toon I had to do the exact same quests every time to get all my levels.

You know how everyone in nearly every game complains that they have to do the same newb mishes over and over when they level a new toon? Well Neverwinter takes that to the next level in mod 21. It sounds really restrictive and it is and I don't like restrictive stuff by nature so I instinctively didn't like this, but... For now, the rewards are current. I can still do other stuff while I follow my straight line to max level. The only difference is that there's no XP for....anything. Just the 'tutorial'. When I do go back to levelling I know how to pick up ..exactly.. where I left off on the reward/level trail and I know I'll do all the quests that give me all the special rewards I want.

Oh, and BARDS. That's new.

I'm gonna go back and play mine right now.. Even though I already have a fully geared healer who's perfectly fun I'm playing a wha?

And that is my part 1 review of the beast that is mod 21. If you are endgame this doesn't really change much for you that I see except that you can get into more dungeons in the random queues now. Oh and that you have to spend bigillions to upgrade your insignias to Mythic in order to keep up with the Joneses. But lets face it. If you're NW endgame what else do you have to spend bigillions on to be uber ... lately  : p If you are new, this is like the best time to make a new character with the new quest rewards + the Lord Neverember recruitment event + (?) and new class to try. If you're the Get Off My Lawn type, it's festival time in Zone chat. Something for everyone.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 07:01:54 PM by Xev »
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #88 on: August 05, 2021, 02:56:39 PM »
20 WEEKS OF NEVERWINTER
WEEK 2

We are in week 2 of our 20 Weeks of Neverwinter celebration. This week we are giving away 50 free mount upgrade tokens to you just for logging into Neverwinter! Mount upgrade tokens allow you to power up your mount as well as upgrade your mount quality.

Stay tuned to your inbox as we celebrate 20 Weeks of Neverwinter!

~~~

Just had to come back and mention that, really, if you ever wanted to try the game now is the time. The new quest rewards are useful. The Lord Neverember event rewards are useful. They're giving away stuff every week..

I mean, except for the weekly giveaways it's all Bind to Character so you're not going to get a pile of goodies to sell or twink with but if you're making a new character to play, I never saw a better time. My latest newb has stuff my Main doesn't have! Stuff he would use. He's pretty well geared too.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 03:18:07 PM by Xev »
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #89 on: August 12, 2021, 03:49:33 PM »
https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/11494253-patch-notes%3A-version%3A-nw.131.20210803b.6

I know of 2 flawed healer bard mechanics. Reported 1. They mentioned 0, replied 0.

It's not like them.

*shrug*

Oh and there's not a single gem on any normal mob in alllllll of Avernus. Zero. None anywhere except from Boss encounters. Avernus is a big place fat with refining stones. Normally. Mentioned that to them too and got 0 reply.

*shrug*

I dunno what else to say about that.

~~~~

Well I got my reply and part of it was explaining how busy they are. A little bit later the servers went down to patch the new tutorial-levelling system due to 1 missing NPC in the quest chain that has to be ran to level up any new character. So no one could level up past that point. I took it as an indication of their sincerity. I rarely send/have sent anything to support in any Cryptic game but normally I get something back from them within 24 hours if it's not the weekend when I do/did. I'm guessing they really are busy. They didn't reply to my report on it yet or put it in patch notes but they did fix that Avernus gem thing in the last patch.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 01:23:27 AM by Xev »
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #90 on: September 16, 2021, 09:37:37 PM »
Garyx Vs. Drozgerach...

https://app.box.com/s/q4j1rr4r86z0z628cb6d6l5pon51ndds

Nothing unusual. Except this time Droz actually wins against the Devil boss invading his territory.

If you've spent any amount of time farming Garyx you've had to have wanted to see this. It never happens.

This time the agro was just right that he was agroed on me (I had a red agro bar) but I was (knocked to) on the edge of his agro range and so he didn't come after me, and, he also didn't just go invul and reset agro as he is want to do.. He also didn't retaliate against Droz, who, proceeded to literally kick his butt up and down the edge of The Scab's demon elite area with knock attacks as Garyx stood there like a cardboard cutout locked on me.

This isn't an exploit or farming trick (I dunno if I could do it again anyway) due to it's fastest to just jump in and go at it without trying to be fancy. But. It was a pretty satisfying moment. I always root for Droz but he never had the perfect storm of agro until today.

The screenie is grainy and far off but you can clearly see Garyx's HP bar and Droz's lightning (sword).

Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #91 on: September 17, 2021, 05:52:42 PM »
Not particularly a fan of Droz or anyone in Avernus (Lulu is ok.. Zariel is ok..), or, Avernus itself. Just happened to have a decent screenie and just happened to have brought him up yesterday..

https://app.box.com/s/k84b5v4mpfscl25y5f6axjfb2r1e3j1z

I miss my direct link screenies  :/
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #92 on: October 10, 2021, 07:46:18 PM »
Good lord what a horrible time to be playing this game!

It's all over Reddit and the chat channels since weeks or more so I know it's not just me. I've refrained from venting up until now.

If you like just jumping into a random queue with people to go in and kick some butt and be done with it, it can't be done. I mean it can... but it's like Russian roulette and there's only 1 bullet missing..

The queues are so screwed up. It's like someone hooked a huge vacuum labelled "FUN SUCKER" up to all of them and flipped it on high. Skirmishes are probably your best bet to have any kind of fun and that's about all the reward you'll get for them, too.

One other thing that I never have seen in a Cryptic game to this point - actual pay to win. The best Tank event loot for the current event - you gotta pay 25 bucks for. There's no other way to get it and it's "best in slot".

So, yeah. In-game they are giving away nice things, weekly, during this event.. so it should be a great time to play. Nope. Not.

I rly am only staying in the game due to my mom's in it and it's her first game like this and she's finally starting to ...sort of... figure things out. Meanwhile, I'm trying to find a way to continue to suck some kind of fun out of it for myself.
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #93 on: August 17, 2022, 01:13:59 AM »
WiCKiD Memorial

A new NPC tribute to the departed player WiCKiD has made his home in the Well of Dragons quest hub, providing guidance to those seeking helpful tanking tips. Speaking to WiCKiD will also award a title.

Wow, I did do the Dragon Hunts recently and logged on within the past few days and this is the first I head of this. In Patch Notes.

Wickid was one of the first people I saw in Zone chat. Calling out dragon spawns in... gah I can't remember the zone. The first dragon zone where the Harpers are. I thought it was really cool someone would take the time to do that like he did and it also helped me and a lot of others out. I'm in the private channel he started for Tanks due to I could use the tips. Tried to get my mom in his guild once when she first started playing but he was too full up for a newb at the time.

I think everyone who played the game for any amount of time knew who he was and I was shocked and sad to see his name like I did, today, in that quote from Patch Notes. Good on them they made a home for him in-game. I think he would like that a lot and he earned it.

~~~~

Neverdeath was the name of that zone I couldn't remember. I just got back from there. And he was calling out what instance Charthraxis was in. That was the first dragon of the game, then. Now the zone's been wiped out pretty much and we don't level up outside of a tutorial.

However.... Well of Dragons, where Wickid has his home in-game, seems as good a place as any for me and my first memories with him. The Harpers are here.. You can see a dragon from where he stands. And he'll teach you something about tanking if you talk to him. They did good. I never knew him but I miss him.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 02:23:47 AM by Xev »
Some Faves: