Author Topic: Display scaling and maximum resolutions  (Read 2514 times)

Shenanigunner

• Lieutenant
    • Heroica!
Display scaling and maximum resolutions
« on: July 13, 2019, 03:46:21 PM »
This is just a detail that bit me while trying to get maximum res from my desktop system, thought I'd pass it along.

I could NOT get the game to run at 4K resolution - which was not important to me for in-game visual reasons and has its downside in the teeny text problems, but meant my 3-monitor system did not shift in and out of changed resolutions, messing up other apps and icon positions and the like. Every time I tried, I got a giant game window that overlapped the center and right monitors and pushed critical buttons (like Back and Exit) offscreen.

I finally traced the problem to my use of app scaling for the center monitor. For day to day use, the icons and app interfaces are way too small on a 28" 4K display, so I had scaling on that display dialed up to 150%. Turning that down to 100% lets CoX run in full native resolution - a little slow on framerate, but it doesn't muck up my desktop and other apps every time I cycle in and out. I do have to open Display Settings and bump the scaling down, then back up, but it's a small price to pay for overall harmony.

TL;DR - if you can't get max res out of the game without oversized game windows, check your display scaling.
== The Guide, the GABB files and the GSNOTTY list, all at (NEW!) www.Shenanigunner.com ==

WanderingAries

• Elite Boss
  • @WanderingAries /\ Mostly on Torch
Re: Display scaling and maximum resolutions
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 10:17:58 PM »
Word of caution with Win10 and App Scaling. Anything above 125% tends to cause some very bad things with some apps. Even causing them not to load (presumably because the app doesn't know how to handle it).
Find me on Homecoming:
https://www.homecomingservers.com

Shenanigunner

• Lieutenant
    • Heroica!
Re: Display scaling and maximum resolutions
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 06:29:34 PM »
I've had no problem with my side monitors set to 100 and center display set to 150; I run a variety of apps and tools including the complete Adobe set. I can see how some older apps and those not fully optimized for scaling past original design limits could choke.
== The Guide, the GABB files and the GSNOTTY list, all at (NEW!) www.Shenanigunner.com ==