Author Topic: Moving Old COH/NCSoft file folders?  (Read 13930 times)

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
Moving Old COH/NCSoft file folders?
« on: June 22, 2019, 04:17:39 PM »
My C: drive is getting pretty full, and that's where my old NCSoft program files folder is located. 

Inside the NCSoft folder are my original City of Heroes files, a folder of the COH Beta, and one of the COH Test files, plus the Launcher folder, and screenshots.

My computer has a partitioned drive, with C: being mainly for programs, and E: drive being for my Pictures, Music, Documents, etc.

My E: drive is nearly empty.  So... my question is:

If I move my NCSoft folder from the C: drive to the E: drive, will that mess up Tequila's ability to access Paragon Chat and Homecoming live servers?  Do Paragon Chat and/or the live servers need to know the C: drive location for the old NCSoft files?

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
Re: Moving Old COH/NCSoft file folders?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2019, 06:27:21 PM »
In Tequila's Options, there is a field for changing the pathway of the CoH folder.
aka Majadi | Sugar Cane | Absinthe | Killer Antz | Bogatyra | ...
Best Video Game of 2016 -- Paragon Chat!!!
Codewalker for Mayor of Paragon!

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 04:28:09 AM »
In Tequila's Options, there is a field for changing the pathway of the CoH folder.

I see, under Options on the Tequila launcher, a way to verify the path for Tequila, but not for the original COH files... 
What am I missing?

Does Tequila, having finished its download, actually refer back to the original COH files from when the game was live?

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 12:00:27 PM »
Okay. After rereading, I now realize you have multiple copies of CoH.

Tequila is just a UI program that allows easy access to the Homecoming, PChat, and Titan ICON versions of CoH. PChat and Tequila both use the same base location for the i24 files. PChat creates its own new files in the %AppData% folder. Homecoming creates folders inside the i24 CoH folder with new versions of some PIGG files (folders score, homecoming, hc-beta). Otherwise, they all refer back to the same base CoH files, which is what that field in options is referring to.

By default, under Tequila Options, the "Install Path" is the same as what's in PChat, unless you have chosen to point them separately. The field is for the install path of the i24 CoH. That's where Tequila installed itself.

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 08:23:47 PM »
I'm sorry, I'm afraid I'm still confused. 
On my PC - since we were orignally told not to put Tequila in the C: program files - my Tequila folder is located in my Documents folder.   

My Paragon Chat launcher and PC Folder are located in teh %AppData% folder.

And my NCSoft folder, with all my original COH folders for the game back-in-the-day, is in the C: Program Files folder

WanderingAries

• Elite Boss
  • @WanderingAries /\ Mostly on Torch
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2019, 10:39:19 PM »
On my PC - since we were orignally told not to put Tequila in the C: program files - my Tequila folder is located in my Documents folder.   

And my NCSoft folder, with all my original COH folders for the game back-in-the-day, is in the C: Program Files folder

There is an installation thread on the HC forums that would be a REAL good idea to read,  but either way it would be a Good idea to NOT put apps in any of the user folders as they are protected. Instead do something similar to what us 'older' PC users do to keep our games more isolated from the main OS. Personally, I have a Games folder on my C drive. Inside that folder I have a separate folder based on where I got the game (GoG, Steam, CoH, etc). so in the case of this game that would look something like this:

c:\Games\CoH

To further keep my installation clean, inside this folder I have a separate folder for Mids and other apps that help with the game. For the game installation, you want to put the Tequila folder inside this folder and try not to install anything other than say the Vidiot Maps into it (because they have to go into the Data folder).

That would look like this then:

c:\Games\CoH\Tequila

I've tested that I can run the game almost right away after doing this, but you may have to rerun the tequila installer so that it corrects registry information. If it does, then simply make sure this is where it installs to.
Find me on Homecoming:
https://www.homecomingservers.com

WanderingAries

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2019, 10:49:24 PM »
Without going back to read, I think you said something about running out of space on the C drive. If this is the case, then I highly recommend having Windows migrate your user files (things you've created, downloaded, etc) to the 2nd drive, but do it Using the built-in method or you'll cause yourself a headache.

Windows 10 actually does this easier than any OS I've dealt with in decades. I follow this guide for ALL of my Win10 installations. You can do it on the older OS', but it's more tedious and you have to be more careful.

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/change-default-save-location-windows-10
Find me on Homecoming:

WanderingAries

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2019, 10:51:12 PM »
Does Tequila, having finished its download, actually refer back to the original COH files from when the game was live?

What are you trying to do with these files?
Find me on Homecoming:

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2019, 02:10:44 PM »

It doesn't really matter where all of these launchers are. They all refer back to the same main CoH client.
PChat uses the main i24 CoH client as a base.
Titan ICON uses the main i24 CoH client as a base.
and even the new Homecoming servers use the main i24 CoH client as a base.

Each just uses additional files to manipulate that base (some more than others).

Worst case scenario, you'll just have to reinstall the Tequila launcher to point at the new location.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 02:34:36 PM by MyriVerse »

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2019, 01:25:00 AM »
Thanks for your help, everyone.  Successfully moved the old NCSoft/COH files.  :)