Author Topic: Anyway for Leandro to delete the Aggro caps?  (Read 2056 times)

Ignitros

• Underling
Anyway for Leandro to delete the Aggro caps?
« on: May 04, 2019, 02:10:56 AM »
I always hated the aggro cap and that was the one thing as a tank that really irritated me. Is there any way for the "new" DEVS to change that?

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
Re: Anyway to delete the Aggro caps?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 02:51:49 AM »
Maybe ask them over in their Discord channels?

We aren't directly affiliated with the SCORE development efforts, so there's no way to guarantee they'll see anything you post here.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Sailboat

• Boss
Re: Anyway for Leandro to delete the Aggro caps?
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 11:54:52 AM »
Aggro caps turned out to be good for the game, and I say this as a big fan of Tankers. 

Without an aggro limit of some kind, only the Tanker and a couple of AoE Blasters mattered...at all.  Other ATs/players were literally told not to act for fear of disrupting the sacred herding.  Everyone else was a triviality.

Any other playstyle couldn't ch compete for efficiency.

When the aggro caps were put in place, superpowered battles were feasible.  You can still herd -- and still complain about the other ATs -- but the others get to play too.

Mantic

• Boss
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 03:04:55 PM »
Removing the aggro cap wouldn't make Tankers and Blasters overly-appealing. If anything, nobody but a roleplayer or someone wanting to tank on the cheap should be choosing a Tanker over a Brute now, with the aggro cap.

However,  the aggro cap is where it is because the servers can't handle that many active AI/mobs. It might be something that could be optimized further in the code, but I kinda doubt it. All games have struggled trying to manage a lot of AI at once. They mostly fake it by grouping and instancing, dividing up processing cycles between different subgroups, and just turning them off when they're not onscreen or outside a given radius from the player. The CoX server probably already does all these things, and while every enemy is its own little state machine, it's not like we'd be happy if they were made even stupider.

An actual programmer may want to correct me here, but I'm thinking the only way to bring back those hordes as the norm would be through beefier hardware, relative to the player population. New code might be written to take advantage of specialized hardware (some kinds of AI use GPUs for large-scale parallel processing tasks), or make better use of current processor architecture. Ultimately, though, I believe it's a matter of raw processing power.

jaknell1011

• Underling
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 08:15:01 PM »
Nah aggro cap had nothing to do with it. The servers ran with significantly more mobs than the current cap back in the day, and they didn't have an issue back then. The aggro cap came about because tankers were herding the entire map into one small area on a map and then nuking the entire map of bad guys in a matter of minutes. We used to run herding maps where you could gather 200+ bad guys and have them follow you into a dumpster. Drop a burn patch (fire tanker), and watch the group melt.

They did 2 things to stop that. Aggro cap and burn patch fear.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 12:05:42 AM »
I remember when fire tanks would herd an entire map then stand there and let their flame aura kill all the enemies. 

ZeeHero

• Minion
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2019, 08:54:00 AM »
Aggro caps are a good thing. it's the only reason more than one tanker per group of 8 could possibly be beneficial.