Author Topic: Q: Chat Bubble colouring  (Read 3688 times)

HardRider

• Underling
  • Only HardRider can bring you true peace.
Q: Chat Bubble colouring
« on: April 28, 2019, 12:22:00 PM »
I don't know if this is the right place to ask (If not please, could someone move this to the right place Thank you :D )

I'm trying to get this bind working ( /bind Enter beginchat <color #ff00ff><bordercolor #9f9fff3f><bgcolor #3f3f3f9f> )

It makes the background all transparent.. Thing is, when I go to press enter - the code does work, but the code appears in the chat every time.. Now I remember very clearly back in the day you could make it so the code never appeared in the chat window, while also making the bind work. But for the life of me I can't remember how and soo far my search has come up with nothing.
(This annoyed me even back then xD)

If anyone with chat bubble binds are able to help, that would be insanely awesome.

Also I've searched places like paragon chat/wiki etc and it only shows the basic of binds, nothing advanced.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
Re: Q: Chat Bubble colouring
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 04:32:33 PM »
I don't know if this is the right place to ask (If not please, could someone move this to the right place Thank you :D )

I'm trying to get this bind working ( /bind Enter beginchat <color #ff00ff><bordercolor #9f9fff3f><bgcolor #3f3f3f9f> )

It makes the background all transparent.. Thing is, when I go to press enter - the code does work, but the code appears in the chat every time.. Now I remember very clearly back in the day you could make it so the code never appeared in the chat window, while also making the bind work. But for the life of me I can't remember how and soo far my search has come up with nothing.
(This annoyed me even back then xD)

If anyone with chat bubble binds are able to help, that would be insanely awesome.

Also I've searched places like paragon chat/wiki etc and it only shows the basic of binds, nothing advanced.

I imagine those chat settings change the preferences that are set in the Options window to color your chat.  If you want the bubble colored for the one tell then for it to go back, after the chat is sent, put the colors back to your preferences?

Probably won't work for your needs, but the idea is:

/bind [ beginchat <color #ff00ff><bordercolor #9f9fff3f><bgcolor #3f3f3f9f>
/bind ] beginchat <color #ffffff><bordercolor #ffffff><bgcolor #000000>
/bind Enter beginchat

Then use left bracket to emphasize, right bracket to put it back to normal, and Enter to just talk.
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 05:00:45 PM »
If you check your default keybinds, you should see a few good examples of how to format that bind.

For instance:
Code: [Select]
F9 "local <color white><bgcolor #2222aa><scale .75>level $level $archetype$$local <color white><bgcolor #2222aa>Looking for team"
That being said, customizing chat bubble color in the command line (using "/beginchat") won't work.  It used to, but in I13 the developers re-coded the chat window to prevent people from abusing the '<' and '>'. So manually keying things like color codes into the beginning of a chat message doesn't work, but if you have a bind like the one above with canned text that doesn't have to go through the chat window to be executed, that'll work.  (Macro buttons in your tray will also work.)  Pet emotes are in a similar boat because they rely on "<em emote>" in a /petsay command.

The new SMF code converts < and > to &lt; and &gt; (which show as < and > in displayed text but don't get recognised as meaning 'this is a tag' internally in order to stop players from breaking other people's clients with bad tags or whatever. Unfortunately this means the text colouring doesn't work any more. Probably needs a better solution but not a high priority until the start of next year.

(I knew there was a reason I kept all of my customized bind files around all these years later.)
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

HardRider

• Underling
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 11:45:17 PM »

Thing is as shown above, I have been able to colour the bubbles :) But as also shown, every time I press enter.. the code appears there .. WHich is my issue, because before it didn't.. I was able to do something to not make it show up in chat but still work.

I posted picture because I either think my issue wasn't fully explained or the answers given not what I'm looking for.
basically.. confused lol

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 11:53:23 PM »
The "beginchat" command tells the game to activate the chat/command line and enter the following text.  So whatever you place after "beginchat" will show up in the chat line every time.

If you're binding "beginchat <color #ff00ff><bordercolor #9f9fff3f><bgcolor #3f3f3f9f>" to the Enter key, every time you press Enter, the chat line will become active and "<color #ff00ff><bordercolor #9f9fff3f><bgcolor #3f3f3f9f>" will be placed in the line.

Now, if you change the default bubble color in your user options instead of using <color> tags, you don't need the <color> tags at all.  You can then change the Enter bind back to just "beginchat" and the tags won't appear every time you hit Enter to start talking.

Does that make more sense?
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

HardRider

• Underling
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2019, 12:50:25 AM »
It does actually.. Ty.

I'm beginning to see how i went about things now.

Thanks everyone for replying.. Nothing was completely confusing and has in one aspect or another :D