Author Topic: Jock Tamson  (Read 13819 times)

PhiloticKnight

• Minion
Jock Tamson
« on: April 25, 2019, 09:48:19 PM »
Hello. I went to the ParagonWiki to link to it all of Jock_Tamson's Myths, but was shocked to discover... there's no mention of him ANYWHERE in the wiki! This is a travesty! I've preserved these at the following location, and I would have added these to a new page for Jock, but I apparently don't have the rights to create a new page. So, can I either get the rights, or can someone make the page for me? His stories were an important part of CoH history, and I'd hate them to be lost!

https://score.savecoh.com/index.php/topic,171.0.html

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
Re: Jock Tamson
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 11:23:16 PM »
The good news is that someone at least started to document the Fruit Salad...
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

PhiloticKnight

• Minion
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 03:45:17 PM »
Yes, on their private Talk page. I guess I could do that, but it'd be better if it was on the wiki proper...

PhiloticKnight

• Minion
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 03:47:05 PM »
Oops, nevermind that, it looks like I cannot even create/edit my OWN talk page... this seems kinda... weird?

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 05:13:09 PM »
You have to wait a week after the first time you sign in to the wiki before you can create or edit pages. We had to add that as an anti-spam measure a while back.

PhiloticKnight

• Minion
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2019, 05:54:26 PM »
Thanks for letting me know!

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2019, 11:55:35 PM »
But you're right; Jock Tamson and the legends of the Fruit Salad should definitely be in the main namespace somewhere.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

PhiloticKnight

• Minion
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2019, 02:48:50 PM »
FYI, I also have a full copy of all of the images in the Fansite Kit that appear to be missing from the wiki page. Eager to get those uploaded as soon as my account has those rights...

https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/City_of_Heroes_Fansite_Kit

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2019, 08:45:28 PM »
Cool, thanks for helping to fill in the gaps in the wiki. When you do upload those, please make sure to use the [[Category:City of Heroes Fansite Kit Images]] tag so they get organized  into the right spot.

PhiloticKnight

• Minion
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2019, 02:47:22 PM »
It is done. As I said in the Talk page, I'm not really a Wiki editor, I'm unfamiliar with that format and frankly don't have time to learn right now. But I used the divbox as a simple way to separate the fables into distinct elements. I'm sure someone that's a Wiki pro can fix that up in a "better" way.

PhiloticKnight

• Minion
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2019, 06:16:27 PM »
I've also uploaded the missing images in the sizes of 1024 and 1280. The 1600 sized images were already uploaded, but for some reason the page was never updated to link to them!

https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/City_of_Heroes_Fansite_Kit

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2019, 06:53:26 PM »
It is done. As I said in the Talk page, I'm not really a Wiki editor, I'm unfamiliar with that format and frankly don't have time to learn right now. But I used the divbox as a simple way to separate the fables into distinct elements. I'm sure someone that's a Wiki pro can fix that up in a "better" way.

Good work, man.  Honestly, I always found collecting all of the text to be the hard part.  Formatting it is just a matter of making it look pretty.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2019, 01:16:24 AM »

Thanks for collecting and putting up all of those entries. Do you still have the Wayback links handy for them? I was thinking that the article could be tweaked using the Quotebox template to give a little more authority to the source material.

PhiloticKnight

• Minion
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2019, 01:54:42 AM »
I don't, as they were all session specific, so only certain sessions seemed to be stored. I had a HECK of a time navigating between all of the snapshots to find them! You might have better luck than me though. They were all in the thread that was called "In the beginning" that was stickied near the top of the Defender board right next to my Defender Manifesto.

Speaking of which... What's the Wiki policy on guides? Is it the same policy as Wikipedia proper, where the pages are only supposed to be straight factual, or can opinion pieces like guide have a home in the wiki as well?

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2019, 02:06:10 AM »
There's a category for that.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2019, 03:16:48 AM »
I don't, as they were all session specific, so only certain sessions seemed to be stored. I had a HECK of a time navigating between all of the snapshots to find them! You might have better luck than me though. They were all in the thread that was called "In the beginning" that was stickied near the top of the Defender board right next to my Defender Manifesto.

Fortunately, I'd already saved links to the forums at various spots in time, and was able to grab all the references for these from one thread. Thanks for pointing me to the right place to start.

PhiloticKnight

• Minion
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2019, 10:17:25 AM »
Thanks for all the work on this! I am curious why it looks like it was moved to a "Talk" page though?

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2019, 01:33:43 PM »
Sleepykitty gave you a full response about that on your own talk page, but basically anything that wasn't official game content doesn't go in the main namespace. Leaving the "Jock Tamson" article where it was would imply that you could find him in-game, or was a developer directly involved with the game.

PhiloticKnight

• Minion
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2019, 02:56:53 PM »
Interesting policy. I guess that makes sense. Sorry, I'm not used the whole wiki system.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2019, 04:26:06 PM »
To be fair, there's also a special category for "in-jokes" like Unique Dragon and /jranger that weren't official game content.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin