Author Topic: The Shot Heard Around Paragon City - SCORE Public Release  (Read 270829 times)

GamingGlen

• Boss
Re: The Shot Heard Around Paragon City - SCORE Public Release
« Reply #1040 on: April 22, 2019, 08:38:13 PM »
That link site does not say anything of importance and may be lying, just to get more clicks for ad revenue.  Don't go there and give him/them any.

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #1041 on: April 22, 2019, 08:40:38 PM »

https://www.mmobomb.com/news/rogue-city-heroes-server-might-ncsofts-blessing-theres-catch/
That was complete misinformation someone on Discord pulled out of their colon.
I was following the news closely - the character database was written off due to a combination of how certain parts of the COH community consider their toons their sole property (and would go ballistic if anyone else had access to them), impossibility of 100% foolproof ownership verification and GDPR (due to servers being hosted in Europe at some point).
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

duane

• Elite Boss

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1043 on: April 22, 2019, 08:42:39 PM »
https://www.mmobomb.com/news/rogue-city-heroes-server-might-ncsofts-blessing-theres-catch/

?

Azrael.

I sense it may be more then the player database.....it may be that all zones, archetypes, powers, signature game characters will have to have their names altered

Such as atlas park now called Hercules park for example.

Just speculating
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1044 on: April 22, 2019, 08:43:44 PM »
I see.

Fair enough. ;)

Still, the genie is out the bottle.

Where does this 'rabbit hold' lead.

Azrael.

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #1045 on: April 22, 2019, 08:47:39 PM »
We'll see.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 04:54:50 AM by The Fifth Horseman »
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1046 on: April 22, 2019, 08:49:45 PM »
That was complete misinformation someone on Discord pulled out of their colon.
I was following the news closely - the character database was written off due to a combination of how certain parts of the COH community consider their toons their sole property (and would go ballistic if anyone else had access to them), impossibility of 100% foolproof ownership verification and GDPR (due to servers being hosted in Europe at some point).

Well ev n without the database if I ever get my own server running I can still restore my alts thanks to sentinel and a personal database I have of them
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Artillerie

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1047 on: April 22, 2019, 08:50:56 PM »
The Massively Op forums that people made their server accounts on is no longer there - what does that mean?

Arkasas

• Lieutenant
  • Ord of the West
« Reply #1048 on: April 22, 2019, 08:52:13 PM »
The Massively Op forums that people made their server accounts on is no longer there - what does that mean?

That wasn't part of MassivelyOP, it was part of the webserver - it went down with the rest of the server.

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1049 on: April 22, 2019, 08:53:21 PM »
What about a discreet server in Argentina...

*Looks innocent.

Azrael.

Exxar

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1050 on: April 22, 2019, 08:55:18 PM »

?

Azrael.
This info is from a couple of days ago. I saw as it was discussed on discord, partially. From what I understand, someone (Leo?) apparently got contacted by a person from NCSoft and gotten the info that NC would not be pursuing this server if they don't use the database containing the player characters.

The person who wrote that article probably doesn't have any more insight into the topic than I do. And there is a good possibility I misunderstood that discussion, I presume but don't know for sure if the person in question was Leandro, so on and so forth. So even though there may be traces of truth in it, it't best to treat it as a complete rumor.

Tore

• Underling
« Reply #1051 on: April 22, 2019, 08:57:22 PM »
I played since open beta. Dreamed of getting to play this game again for 6 long years, and misses the boat by two days. I knew there was a private server since the day of shut down and hated that there was a small group that I knew were playing right after the game went down. I'm guessing whatever watermark of whichever dev took this data has finally been removed. Alls I ask is if someone start another server please allow me to play. I'll do whatever verifications are needed and even be happy to help financially.

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1052 on: April 22, 2019, 08:57:35 PM »
We'll see.
Image removed - keep it PG-13.  In short, Innocuous said "things aren't as bad as it seems." --Tahquitz

Aye.

Perhaps this is the 1st round in bringing NC Soft to the negotiating table.

Nostralious did that to Blizzard.  They had a million (peak) on their 'private' vanilla WoW servers.

Just give the community a 'non-IP ownership' license to have a community server. 

Between SCORE and what I've seen of the CoH community on Discord.  There are some seriously clever and talented people out there.

Smooth as butter as recently as 'earlier' before the take down.

Really proud of the effort put in there.  And the ramping up of capacity to 3000!

Azrael.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 09:14:32 PM by Tahquitz »

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1053 on: April 22, 2019, 09:08:22 PM »
I played since open beta. Dreamed of getting to play this game again for 6 long years, and misses the boat by two days.

Sorry you missed by two days.  :/

I had a mate who played since Beta.  I joined 4 months later.

Got to play with him last night by sheer cosmic dice roll.

The gods are playing with dice.

'Never the end.'

Azrael.

GamingGlen

• Boss
« Reply #1054 on: April 22, 2019, 09:09:12 PM »
What about a discreet server in Argentina...

*Looks innocent.

Azrael.

I'm retired and living in Florida.  It wouldn't be too difficult for me to move to some Central American or Caribbean island nation where it's safe to host such a server.  :D   

Exxar

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1055 on: April 22, 2019, 09:15:04 PM »
The situation is still unfolding:

https://twitter.com/leandrotlz

------------------

From the Discord:

[11:08 PM] Innocuous/Glory to Arachnos: We are drafting a general update.
Questions I can answer right now:
1.) We do not currently have the server binaries right now. We do not physically have them.
2. We are not giving up, every single one of us is looking at the outcomes and directions to go to.
3. Hope is not lost. Seriously. Coderbus, calm down. People in the community, calm down. We are working to figure out a solution as well as get some spatial awareness on what is going on.
4. The previous plan of forming an LLC may not need to be formed. So, once again, please calm down. This is a panic spiral and we are trying to collect ourselves.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1056 on: April 22, 2019, 09:17:52 PM »
This exactly why everything needs to be released.

Zombie Man

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1057 on: April 22, 2019, 09:19:43 PM »
Just in case people didn't have a chance to play on that test server, let me just say that I played for about 10 hours and it was as smooth as the original game. They threw enough hardware at it to handle the several thousand concurrent users and it stopped lagging, rubberbanding, and mapserving (at least, for me). And I was running it with all the Ultra graphics turned up. Zones and mission instances loaded as fast as they used to. It was wonderful.

And that's on the janky thrown-together code. Meanwhile dozens of coders were working to create a modernized code that could run on modern much faster machines.

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1058 on: April 22, 2019, 09:21:20 PM »
This exactly why everything needs to be released.

Yeah.  Personally, I wouldn't care, ultimately, if my alts were part of all the alts in a sense that a community could play them.  Look at them.  Study them.  Most people would create their own any how.

Starting from scratch isn't a problem for me either.  Life often is.  Starting from scratch.

It's too valuable to be held on 'one server' - it's vulnerable to a take down.  etc.

The Paragon Chat model suddenly makes far more sense, eh?

Azrael.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1059 on: April 22, 2019, 09:22:22 PM »
As an advisory, please don't post images from Discord on here that contain profanity or vulgarity.  As Sekoia said it best, four letter words starting with 'f' and 'c' are never allowed on this site.  This also includes pasted logs (self-editing before posting is acceptable.)

I know everyone is emotional, but we don't need 'absolute proof and evidence' of every development concerning who said what on Discord.  If you're a member of it, you can read it.  If not, you can't.

Carry on.
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran