Author Topic: The Shot Heard Around Paragon City - SCORE Public Release  (Read 270836 times)

Azrael

• Elite Boss
Re: The Shot Heard Around Paragon City - SCORE Public Release
« Reply #1020 on: April 22, 2019, 05:58:50 PM »

Between the server being taken down or crashing I got a Brute to 18, a Tanker to 12, and a Dominator to 8 while still having time  fulfill social/family obligations. The first 30 levels fly by, so recreating at this point is a minimal time loss.

I think my focus for the week will be deciding which characters to recreate, what new builds I want to try, and getting a little testing in on the new concepts to see if they handle properly.

You're doing quite well there.  I find the brute and domis quite compelling.  Yes.  And tanks...  Maybe those are the ones I'll focus on after 'the wipe.'

They even do a 'double xp' launch day event.  Who knows.

Yes.  Deciding which alts to recreate.  Decisions, decisions...

Azrael.

navyrayne

• Minion
« Reply #1021 on: April 22, 2019, 06:01:37 PM »
Letting go of our old heroes to make way for reasons to join loved ones, friends, and new friends, is a sacrifice I am willing to make. Two mutual friends of mine got involved over the weekend and for the first time in years, we sat down and played together again. It, was a very good feeling.

Also, voice from the past here saying "Hello Poppets" good to see you all again.
Community and Media Relations Manager - Pixel Constructor LLC - Grumpy Witch
Formerly,
Community Manager - Kerbal Space Program - Squad Games
Community Manager - Legends of Aethereus - Three Gates Studio
Community and Media Relations Manager - Heliborne - JetCatGames

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1022 on: April 22, 2019, 06:33:20 PM »
I was testing a beam rifle / time manipulation blaster.   

I still don't care for the look of beam rifle, but it does play well at least in the early game.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1023 on: April 22, 2019, 07:03:48 PM »
I was testing a beam rifle / time manipulation blaster.   

I still don't care for the look of beam rifle, but it does play well at least in the early game.

I feel like thats what I remember about Beam rifle the very tiny bit I tried it on i24 Beta I believe?  It felt good but I hated the look of it.

Between the server being taken down or crashing I got a Brute to 18, a Tanker to 12, and a Dominator to 8 while still having time  fulfill social/family obligations. The first 30 levels fly by, so recreating at this point is a minimal time loss.

I think my focus for the week will be deciding which characters to recreate, what new builds I want to try, and getting a little testing in on the new concepts to see if they handle properly.

Agree'd I have a level 16 and a level 11 character and I didn't even really mean to get either of them up there.  I Just started grouping and playing and next thing I know im already in Steel Canyon

Arkasas

• Lieutenant
  • Ord of the West
« Reply #1024 on: April 22, 2019, 07:32:07 PM »
Looks like they took a C&D, but the fight continues. The server is down, long live the server!

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1025 on: April 22, 2019, 07:37:21 PM »
Looks like they took a C&D, but the fight continues. The server is down, long live the server!

Yep.  I hope everything works out okay for the person in legal trouble.  I love COH but I don't want someone dying on a hill for it, for us.  Either way, this was such a blessing.  I am happy I had a chance to see home again, even if it was just for a little bit.  I really hope this didn't ruin someone's life just we could play a game we love again though.

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #1026 on: April 22, 2019, 07:50:18 PM »
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 11:13:49 PM by eabrace »
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Super Atom

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1027 on: April 22, 2019, 07:53:57 PM »
It begins. They'll chase every new server made until they give up and just ignore it like with lineage.

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1028 on: April 22, 2019, 08:05:35 PM »
Image deleted - keep it PG-13. --Tahquitz

Yes.  Just caught that on Discord.

Azrael.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 09:17:46 PM by Tahquitz »

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1029 on: April 22, 2019, 08:09:51 PM »
It begins. They'll chase every new server made until they give up and just ignore it like with lineage.

Well.  A game of whack a mole.

But I can understand SCORE's reluctance to release it without a. reverse engineering it and b.  Giving people the option to play it discreetly p2p aka homebrew server/Solo/LAN/Server to others.

A central server is too vulnerable and this is just been proven.  You can see the 'wisdom' in Paragon Chat's approach.

The current receivers of legal action will be rattled.  Nobody likes being threatened.  Legal or otherwise. 

But this is a community that have achieved the impossible this last week.  This is not over.

I?  Am.  Not happy.  Looks like the 27th launch is going to be on ice.

I had 'fun' whilst it lasted.  But I suspect this is just the beginning.

Azrael.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1030 on: April 22, 2019, 08:11:20 PM »
Then they need to work in secret and get it all coded into a package with easy setup instructions and admin interface and then disperse it like the seed in sword art online one

Thus many many servers can start to appear and as fast as ncsoft strikes them down more shall rise

Then we can quote captain Ahab or Khan
No Ncsoft you won't get away with stopping us. From hell's heart I Stan at the. For hates sake I spit my last breath at there....
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1031 on: April 22, 2019, 08:14:30 PM »
So I couldn't post this in the Discord I feel so I wanted to post it here.

I want to say thank you so much to all the devs that made this possible and also, I am so sorry you are facing consequence because of it. I see a lot of people saying what they should and could do on Discord and it upsets me a bit.  Their head is on the line and they are receiving criticism and doubt despite all their hard work.  This brings me to Leo and the Secret Score Server.  I am sorry for my frustration earlier.  You were right.  It was easy for me, us, to say we would have done differently when our head was never on the chopping block.  If COH coming back means ruining one person's life at a time I don't think I want that price to be paid.  Innocous please stay safe! 

Thank you everyone that gave me a weekend of joy I haven't felt in years, I pray it doesn't bring years of misery upon those who gave me this gift.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1032 on: April 22, 2019, 08:17:26 PM »

I want to say thank you so much to all the devs that made this possible and also, I am so sorry you are facing consequence because of it. I see a lot of people saying what they should and could do on Discord and it upsets me a bit.  Their head is on the line and they are receiving criticism and doubt despite all their hard work.  This brings me to Leo and the Secret Score Server.  I am sorry for my frustration earlier.  You were right.  It was easy for me, us, to say we would have done differently when our head was never on the chopping block.  If COH coming back means ruining one person's life at a time I don't think I want that price to be paid.  Innocous please stay safe! 

Thank you everyone that gave me a weekend of joy I haven't felt in years, I pray it doesn't bring years of misery upon those who gave me this gift.

I thank them as well....it was fun to be a hero again.

Long live the secret server....wherever it may be....
In fearful COH-less days

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1033 on: April 22, 2019, 08:18:27 PM »
Then they need to work in secret and get it all coded into a package with easy setup instructions and admin interface and then disperse it like the seed in sword art online one

Thus many many servers can start to appear and as fast as ncsoft strikes them down more shall rise

Aye.  SCORE were working in discretion.  And got panned for it this week by many.  But we can understand why.  Nobody wants to be legal bombed.  But a brave step by Leandro and SCORE this week was taken.

...the one thing they lacked was sheer weight of numbers of devs.  The progress they made was admirable.  And Paragon Chat points to what they were hoping their 'third' release was aiming for.  A distributed nodes approach where you just couldn't take it down.  What you going to do?  C&D a ten thousand (and counting strong community) who are running it in the privacy of their own homes P2P fashion with their mate up the street?

Need a stable home brew for dummies.

...release the kraken.

They will be no stopping it.

Azrael.

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1034 on: April 22, 2019, 08:22:32 PM »

Aye.  Good of you to post that and release SCORE'S dilemma.  To keep it quiet wasn't an easy thing.

They needed 'time' to create a solution.  We saw part of their efforts with ICON and PChat.  But...  I wouldn't bet against Leandro, Codewalker and SCORE.

The CoH community on Discord are incensed.  But they need to channel that anger into a constructive solution.

It was a pleasure to go back in time this week.  My thanks go to Leandro, SCORE, the dev community on Discord.  Thousands of CoH fans flooding back....6 years after shutdown!

Azrael.

BraveStar

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1035 on: April 22, 2019, 08:24:27 PM »
I want to add my thanks as well.

It felt great being in our city again and the game was just as fun today as it was when I first played in. I'm regretting now that I didn't grab the source code when I could, although I'm not a programmer, but I will hold out hope that someone can create a dummy-proof version and get it out to us.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1036 on: April 22, 2019, 08:26:04 PM »
One would also think that Ncsoft would look at th massive amount of players and realize they really need to reactivate the game

That being said though I am loathe to give them money
In fearful COH-less days

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1037 on: April 22, 2019, 08:29:22 PM »
I want to add my thanks as well.

It felt great being in our city again and the game was just as fun today as it was when I first played in. I'm regretting now that I didn't grab the source code when I could, although I'm not a programmer, but I will hold out hope that someone can create a dummy-proof version and get it out to us.

Well, I just wish I could play again as the game was fo me both fun and a therapy of sorts for some....problems. I have other therapeutic outlets and hobbies but CoH was it. 

To be able to log in and pick any hero or mine or occasionally a villain, to face tough odds and win, to be able upgrade my alts again......
In fearful COH-less days

Wyrm

• Stop Dragon My Heart Around
  • Boss
« Reply #1039 on: April 22, 2019, 08:33:52 PM »
It's hard to go back to waiting, but I guess that's what I have to do.

I don't have coding skills. I wasn't a social butterfly on my home server, so I had no idea any private server even existed. (This isn't me fishing for a PS invite. I'll either find one my wife and I can join, or I won't, and in the meantime we'll keep bouncing around games with our small CoH cadre, trying to find something that feels a little like home.) I missed out on most of the weekend.

But I got a few glorious hours last night, and by the end, my hands had remembered things about how I played the game that I'd forgotten, and it all felt so natural, and I kept saying things like, "I'd forgotten how nice it was to call contacts," and "Oh, look, missions where you don't have to walk back to the door." And I found new badges, and tried a little of a new powerset, and stayed up way too late. I crafted an IO. I miss crafting IOs.

And for a little while, I was as happy as I've been in a while.

So I'll go back to waiting, and checking the forums, and when there's anything I can do (*if* there's anything I can do), I'll do it.

Thanks to everyone who made this happen, and who gave so many of us a few hours of happiness over the past weekend. It was a flavor of happiness I hadn't remembered, and didn't expect, and it's not something I'm ever going to take for granted.