Author Topic: The Shot Heard Around Paragon City - SCORE Public Release  (Read 262217 times)

weenus

• Minion
  • the life of the search party.
Re: The Shot Heard Around Paragon City - SCORE Public Release
« Reply #840 on: April 19, 2019, 08:26:28 PM »
Here is the issue I can see NCSoft having:

If the pirate server is not for profit, playing a FREE TO PLAY GAME and not making any money from a closed game - what exactly does NCSoft suffer as loss?

I have been running this through my head the last few days:

1. no market to monetize
2. no monthly fees
3. no merchandise sold
4. no one paid for running the server
5. no competition with the same game running currently - I can see the ads now FREE FOREVER TO PLAY biting them in the butt

How would they show actual loss?

Would someone setting up something like say, a Patreon, where it's not a required donation but something where appreciative players could help towards costs on a regular basis, would that still be a gray area or would that stir up the legal hornet's nest?

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #841 on: April 19, 2019, 08:27:41 PM »
Oh please. If there's a theme song for this, I dare you to find something better fitting than this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4tbJGItHag

Ok.  I'm playing the link.

Encourageable, Horseman....encourageable.

Azrael.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #842 on: April 19, 2019, 08:30:27 PM »
Would someone setting up something like say, a Patreon, where it's not a required donation but something where appreciative players could help towards costs on a regular basis, would that still be a gray area or would that stir up the legal hornet's nest?
I would think you could take donations for service rendered - had to buy a new hard drive or server to expand, pay data costs and so on.

You would have to keep open and specific books. I have been thinking this through and FREE TO PLAY FOREVER is true now. Before it was marketing and how can NCSoft deny if no profit is made that it is not FREE TO PLAY.

Mister Hassenpheffer

• Boss
    • 3D printouts?!
« Reply #843 on: April 19, 2019, 08:31:01 PM »
Here is the issue I can see NCSoft having:

If the pirate server is not for profit, playing a FREE TO PLAY GAME and not making any money from a closed game - what exactly does NCSoft suffer as loss?

I have been running this through my head the last few days:

1. no market to monetize
2. no monthly fees
3. no merchandise sold
4. no one paid for running the server
5, no competition with the same game running currently

How would they show actual loss?

Here's the thing. It's a Korean company. Run by people that don't operate the same way Westerners do.

There's moving parts to that which come into play for the reasons why they would have a problem.

Bear with me:

We don't know and probably will never know the exact reason, the straw that broke the camel's back reason why the game was originally shut down.

There's smokescreen, clout, rumors, nothing solid and from the look of things as they were left, we will never know. No one has come forward that I know of that can verify THE reason it was shut down, unless of course I missed it somewhere.

For all we know it may be an honor related thing.

They may be bound by some kind of honor related issue or personal issue that would prevent this western designed game from falling back into the hands of a western audience.

Its all speculation... But that's my take on it.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #844 on: April 19, 2019, 08:33:34 PM »
However, they have to prove loss related to a FREE TO PLAY closed game that isn't being monetized and is running at zero cost to them.

They have to prove it in the USA.

Mister Hassenpheffer

• Boss
    • 3D printouts?!
« Reply #845 on: April 19, 2019, 08:36:12 PM »
Correct. 

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #846 on: April 19, 2019, 08:40:16 PM »
The community will be different, would I still fit in? I was part of the RP-crowd (more or less, I was loosely connected towards the end) on Virtue. Will the roleplayers who're still interested find the same place to play? One of the nice things about the servers on Classic CoX was their different personalities. It would be a loss, imo, for them to become fully homogenized just because a critical population turns out to be necessary for server survival.

Would the developers supporting it learn to start building new content, or would be have to be satisfied with the (tremendous) amount of content it had at shutdown. If the former, would someone, or anyone, care to coordinate the general lore among the various new server/development efforts?

Would it end up as a short nostalgia run, or could it have a longer life? I don't know.

I'm sure you'll fit in just fine.  Everything old is new again.

The thrill of being 'young' and unburdened and starting from L1 again.

There'll be different flavours of ice cream.  So, if you got bored with vanilla, you can have your rum and raisin or coffee ice cream, fudge, choc' mint...whiskey ice cream...(Hmm...)  Choose yours.  Create your own server flavour.  Create content eventually with an eventual release of tools.

This isn't a 'stasis' statue.  This has been turned over the community. 

This is just the beginning.

At least you'll get to find out.  Ask the question.  Explore the answer.

By the way.  That's a very pretty eye.  I've seen you post over the years, as I have a great many other forum members.  But that eye is distracting.

As for the dev' of the game.  It will come in many forms.  That is the beauty of it.  Want classic?  Go with that server.  Want some server that is dev' lore purist?  Expect that 'moon base' that never got developed with Battalion to happen eventually...

New power sets?  (i25 has those?)  New zone, Kalistri Wharf?  Finished.  Just needs mobs and missions.

You'll have?

Choice.  Nostalgia or evolve or party susan.

But hopefully you'll enjoy more than a nostalgia trip.  ;)

I'm looking to trying Arcana's 'High Octane' x2/3 en/en build.  I like the idea of Torrent being a '3rd' attack power with insane recharge.

And I KNOW I'm going to re-roll my en/invul tank.

And...and...I'm GOING to re-roll my elec/elec Domin'.  I miss it the most.  The possibility of combat tactics with it pickled my mind.

As for my song, 5th Horsemen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RT3uFugS0k

I know.  I'm a disgrace to Azraels everywhere.

Sure I can rustle up some 'rock.'  Give me time...

Azrael.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 09:23:24 PM by Azrael »

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #847 on: April 19, 2019, 08:44:42 PM »
Oh, I got the song for EN/EN blasters or Electric anything:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRfRIXg2spo

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #848 on: April 19, 2019, 08:46:27 PM »
However, they have to prove loss related to a FREE TO PLAY closed game that isn't being monetized and is running at zero cost to them.

They have to prove it in the USA.

Fighting talk.  There's a certain Al Pacino 'Scarface' vibe to that...or is it a Dirty Harry gravely tone? *(Teases.)

Now.  This is what happens when Ironwolf kicks his 'lurker' door down.

"I'm having lemon and extra sugar on my pancakes.  Anybody got a problem with dat?"

Azrael.

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #849 on: April 19, 2019, 08:47:48 PM »

That's a brave link to post, Ironwolf.

My two mainstays were En/EN and Electric anything.  (I was obsessed with those power sets across Blasters, Domi, Tank...)  I even rolled Defender with En and Elec.  (Please, no jokes.)

Azrael.

Ultimate15

• Boss
« Reply #850 on: April 19, 2019, 08:48:44 PM »
The biggest problem with a centralized hub is the fear of NCsoft. As far as I know, they still haven't released a statement. And a big part of making sure there's a ton of private servers is not only for variety of play, but also so that NCsoft can't catch them all. It's my understanding that's how other emulators, that don't have the tacit blessing from their original companies, avoid getting shut down.

I suppose having the centralized server located in a country that's more isolated from things like a C&D or other legal action is a good idea, though.

That's what I was thinking too, but there's another part of me that thinks it's less about having multiple different private servers that decreases the chances of NCSoft taking legal action, but more simply knowing that the capability of creating a private server is now publicly accessible. Ergo, I think NCSoft would be less likely to sue not because we'd have a 'divide and conquer' mentality, but because they KNOW we could always just 'divide and conquer' should they take legal action.
Viva la Virtue!

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #851 on: April 19, 2019, 08:52:35 PM »
Fighting talk.  There's a certain Al Pacino 'Scarface' vibe to that...or is it a Dirty Harry gravely tone? *(Teases.)

Now.  This is what happens when Ironwolf kicks his 'lurker' door down.

"I'm having lemon and extra sugar on my pancakes.  Anybody got a problem with dat?"

Azrael.
This may not surprise you - I follow the carnivore diet - I eat about 95% meat. Chicken, fish, beef, venison, sausage or anything that eats food a vegan would eat. Made me feel 30 years younger and got rid of all the arthritis!

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #852 on: April 19, 2019, 08:53:09 PM »

Ok.  That just went onto my favourites list.  I'm probably going to play that as I enter 'the streets' as a L1 Elec/elec domi'.

Azrael.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #853 on: April 19, 2019, 08:55:40 PM »

Unless they're from the UK, this is probably blasting in their Mini Cooper.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygHrqRx7Abg :D
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #854 on: April 19, 2019, 08:56:51 PM »
This may not surprise you - I follow the carnivore diet - I eat about 95% meat. Chicken, fish, beef, venison, sausage or anything that eats food a vegan would eat. Made me feel 30 years younger and got rid of all the arthritis!

Carnivore diet.  95% T-Rex.  Lol.  (*Just teasing.)

That testosterone spike is coming in handy, especially this week...and going forwards.  I don't want to be the lawyer that messes with you.  'You see what that T-Rex did to that lawyer....'

Hmm.  Interesting.  Noted.  That should help me with my gym work.

Azrael.

PS.  Iron wolf.  You got me at it...here we go...here we go...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnEZzLSPNZY

...and...well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MA0m1K2jW4

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #855 on: April 19, 2019, 09:02:20 PM »
Unless they're from the UK, this is probably blasting in their Mini Cooper.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygHrqRx7Abg :D

Geeze, Ironwolf.  See what you did?  Even the Tahquitz is at it.  You know he doesn't need much encouragement.  (for the record, I had(!) a 'Michael Caine' union jack italian job mini cooper...new model...not the original...  Which I still had it...with it's union jack wing mirrors....union jack roof...had it back when teh CoH was still alive...)  So yeah, UK based.  Guilty as charged.  Though my heart belongs to Scotland. ;)

I do like Suede.  I hadn't heard that one before. 

As for the CoH community?  Here they come...the beautiful ones...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqovGKdgAXY

Ha.  Like the video.  The way they modulate elec.  Know if I could have that aura for my elec/elec domi'....

So Kool.

Azrael.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 09:09:40 PM by Azrael »

Kheprera

• Elite Boss
« Reply #856 on: April 19, 2019, 09:12:39 PM »
I like all the ones posted so far...

But this remains my personal favorite.

https://youtu.be/292PZKiStsU

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #857 on: April 19, 2019, 09:20:32 PM »
I like all the ones posted so far...

But this remains my personal favorite.

https://youtu.be/292PZKiStsU

Fire imps rocking out.  Some great power amps.  I think one mob got belted off screen... and another got mind-verticled.  No ice-cream for him.

Azrael.

PS.  This week seems like some kind of surreal dream.

PPS.  Just to keep 5th Horseman happy.

Here's some rocking from 'The Muse' doing it 'Queen II' style.  The death spiral battle between the consumer and the corporation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_sBOsh-vyI

...and something mind bending for the surreal events of this week.  Take it away, Joe...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoERl34Ld00
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 09:28:25 PM by Azrael »

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #858 on: April 19, 2019, 09:26:43 PM »
I would think you could take donations for service rendered - had to buy a new hard drive or server to expand, pay data costs and so on.

You would have to keep open and specific books. I have been thinking this through and FREE TO PLAY FOREVER is true now. Before it was marketing and how can NCSoft deny if no profit is made that it is not FREE TO PLAY.

Precisely.  All donations must be voluntary, NO special perks fo donation EVER, and all donations carefully tracked andoggex to ensure they are for bandwidth and spare parts for the server.

However if costs are low enough fo hardware and bandwidth then donations will not be needed.
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #859 on: April 19, 2019, 09:29:51 PM »
Precisely.  All donations must be voluntary, NO special perks fo donation EVER, and all donations carefully tracked andoggex to ensure they are for bandwidth and spare parts for the server.

However if costs are low enough fo hardware and bandwidth then donations will not be needed.

Yeah.  Got to be careful with that and how 'ANY' money is involved.

It's what caught out Nostralius when Blizzard sued over money being involved...

Azrael.