Author Topic: The Shot Heard Around Paragon City - SCORE Public Release  (Read 262224 times)

Arkasas

• Lieutenant
  • Ord of the West
Re: The Shot Heard Around Paragon City - SCORE Public Release
« Reply #740 on: April 19, 2019, 01:56:13 PM »
I believe the character data is from i24 - not sure when. Since they kicked everyone out a couple months prior to shutdown - I would think new characters built after the shutdown announcement might not be there.

But not knowing the time period of when the image was made - no clue except i24.

Well, no, we do have a pretty good idea (or at least Leandro does, which I will now attempt to repeat). The database dumps were apparently taken on or shortly before 11/30, by someone taking a capture of each server one at a time. Because some people were hopping from server to server (?), they might not have picked up everyone if you transferred at an inconvenient time. No word on whether or not they grabbed Beta (or Training Room, but was anyone playing on Training Room during the closure?), so technically everything is i23 - but that's pragmatically irrelevant.

I think this is more-or-less what he's been saying, apologies if I'm wrong.

Stupid Fanboy

• Underling
« Reply #741 on: April 19, 2019, 02:02:39 PM »
No word on whether or not they grabbed Beta (or Training Room, but was anyone playing on Training Room during the closure?)

*raises hand*  I had Triumph and the Training Room running during the shutdown.
Claws/Regen 
Triumph Server
Badge Hunter

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #742 on: April 19, 2019, 02:06:12 PM »
Well, no, we do have a pretty good idea (or at least Leandro does, which I will now attempt to repeat). The database dumps were apparently taken on or shortly before 11/30, by someone taking a capture of each server one at a time. Because some people were hopping from server to server (?), they might not have picked up everyone if you transferred at an inconvenient time. No word on whether or not they grabbed Beta (or Training Room, but was anyone playing on Training Room during the closure?), so technically everything is i23 - but that's pragmatically irrelevant.

I think this is more-or-less what he's been saying, apologies if I'm wrong.

I guess we will find out and that makes it all the more fun. Once the servers are up what we need is a program to move them from server to server - however that might be an issue because it would allow for viruses and trojans to ride along as well.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #743 on: April 19, 2019, 02:17:21 PM »
*raises hand*  I had Triumph and the Training Room running during the shutdown.

What's the protocol in that case, one pant leg on? Pants to knees?

Korbian

« Reply #744 on: April 19, 2019, 02:17:33 PM »
Now, what about the player client? Is that part of The Build? Or a separate thing?

The i24 build is the Issue 24 release of the player client.  They are the same.

Ultimate15

• Boss
« Reply #745 on: April 19, 2019, 02:23:52 PM »
No. From the point of view of a real server, a PChat character is not much more than a costume and a badge list. You could export your costumes to .costume files, but any costumes that couldn't be supported by the standard costume creator would not work on a real server. Badges and such would have to be earned from scratch on each individual server.

So if I exported the costumes to .costume files, would I be able to import them onto a character creator on a live server so I wouldn't have piece the costume/look together by scratch? Or is that not how that works? Hahaha I'm such a nube, I swear.

Also, I'm pretty sure none of my current costume pieces on Paragon Chat would not be supported by the 'standard' costume creator, so I think we good on that end...

ALSO PART II (and I have no idea if this is even on the table right now, so forgive my asking) do we know if there will be issues with names on the new servers? I.e. two players can't have the same character names? Lol BASICALLY I'm trying to figure out if I have to race to a server to nab all the names I want now, or if I have some time, etc...

YAY. EXCITED. GRATEFUL. THANKS. <3
Viva la Virtue!

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #746 on: April 19, 2019, 02:34:16 PM »
Ah.  The Fifth Horseman.
I thought you lost in time?
Not that easy to get rid of, although I have a habit of wandering off to keep my mind occupied - as a result of which my gaming resume now features half a decade of "giant mecha pilot".  :P

PS.  An interesting screenshot.  I was sipping tea atop the Atlas Statue...at 'the end.'  (As the blimp hummed on by...)
I've taken a lot of screens that day: https://imgur.com/a/So2qt

So if I exported the costumes to .costume files, would I be able to import them onto a character creator on a live server so I wouldn't have piece the costume/look together by scratch? Or is that not how that works?
Assuming nothing broke compatibility with them - which should not be the case - then yes.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #747 on: April 19, 2019, 02:36:26 PM »
The i24 build is the Issue 24 release of the player client.  They are the same.
I think he means player data.

There are multiple parts:

1. market server - they ignored it and on Leandro's server you just use influence to buy IO's
2. player data - what character you had and the AT
3. mission data - separate from the client
4. player client - the server build that lets you spawn and use powers and has the maps.

there is likely more I have missed but those are the ones we need to run the game.

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #748 on: April 19, 2019, 02:37:36 PM »

So some of you got to be part of the small group involved with the private server, some didn't... and somehow that led to part of the latter acting in ways unbefitting of heroes and below the standards of most villains. I dearly hope this isn't representative of what this community has become over the years...

Come on, folks... remember how COH went out - forming one final group for one last hurrah right before the lights went out.

Hey Fifth, how's it goin'

Yeah my point on the sources is that it wasn't LEANDRO (and company) just sitting on the Source code.  They were using it, maybe others were also, the positive about this whole brouhaha is that it got folks together who were able to move the ball on this -- at a pretty nasty price, but all's well and all that.

I'm just sorry Leandro (and others) had to put up with that crap
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #749 on: April 19, 2019, 02:38:14 PM »
I don't like calling SCoRE's modifications "issue 25"... only because it's my impression the only did things with power sets, as opposed to adding storylines like the ones planned: https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted

So if I exported the costumes to .costume files, would I be able to import them onto a character creator on a live server so I wouldn't have piece the costume/look together by scratch? Or is that not how that works? Hahaha I'm such a nube, I swear.

Also, I'm pretty sure none of my current costume pieces on Paragon Chat would not be supported by the 'standard' costume creator, so I think we good on that end...

ALSO PART II (and I have no idea if this is even on the table right now, so forgive my asking) do we know if there will be issues with names on the new servers? I.e. two players can't have the same character names? Lol BASICALLY I'm trying to figure out if I have to race to a server to nab all the names I want now, or if I have some time, etc...

YAY. EXCITED. GRATEFUL. THANKS. <3

My understanding is that costumes should work as long as they use standard pieces... I think the problem would be if you created one that uses some sort of unlock, and your new character hasn't achieved the qualifications - the trial that unlocked epaulets, for example. Of course, I'm sure some private servers will allow anything goes for costumes.

Naming is a good question... it *would* be nice if new servers moved to the current Cryptic system of character@global, so only globalst are forced to be unique.

Also, from now on I will refer to Leandro as "Messi", anyone who enjoys football (I mean proper football, that sport you americans call "soccer" for some reason) will understand  ;D

"For some reason"? The British invented the term "soccer," not our fault they just wanted to be contrary as soon as we started using it.

Edit: Due to the migration of posts from "New Efforts" to this thread, the quotes above no longer link properly. But they are unmodified, and the originals can be found in this thread (I don't want to put the effort in right now).
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 05:05:17 PM by Felderburg »
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Korbian

« Reply #750 on: April 19, 2019, 02:39:23 PM »

If it works like everything else has so far, you should be able to just move the "Costumes" folder or copy its contents to the new "Costumes" folder.  I have been moving around mine from back when servers were live for six years now.  Don't worry.  We're all noobs again, mostly.  We'll figure it all out together once we get our grubby little paws on it.

Styrj

• Boss
« Reply #751 on: April 19, 2019, 02:45:34 PM »
Will PChat or PChat (Dev) be used for distro (not the it really matters i guess)?  Just curious.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!  Infinity Server...

Mister Hassenpheffer

• Boss
    • 3D printouts?!
« Reply #752 on: April 19, 2019, 02:45:50 PM »
Also for the costume crowd - using the 2012 version of 3D max - some are already working on new costumes for the game.

I would love to be a part of THAT action!

Shibboleth

• Boss
« Reply #753 on: April 19, 2019, 02:47:42 PM »
How would characters be associated with their creators if no player personal data was kept?

Or is the idea everyone would have access to any existing character?

I suppose one could release characters to people with Sentinel backups but that would need to occur before a mass dump with those characters being excluded from a dump.

Bill Z Bubba

• Underling
« Reply #754 on: April 19, 2019, 02:56:30 PM »
I am confused and befuddled. Yet excited and frazzled. Can I help?

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #755 on: April 19, 2019, 02:59:24 PM »
I am confused and befuddled. Yet excited and frazzled. Can I help?
Download discord.

Type in City of Heroes
Go to the admin and ask to be added to chat if you are a coder - only approved list of people can get in there but anyone can read what they are doing. It is cool to see how quickly the work is done and the changes being made.

slickriptide

• Elite Boss
« Reply #756 on: April 19, 2019, 03:06:16 PM »
Let's see if I got this understood...

I didn't see any specific responses to this post, so I'll have a go at it.

1. There is The Build (the program the runs the game server [Dev] side).
2. There is The Content (all the missions)
3. There is The Playerbase Data (the server side tracking of players, their badges, content completed, level, etc...).

That's it in a nutshell.

Now, what about the player client? Is that part of The Build? Or a separate thing?

From what Codewalker has said in the past when discussing Paragon Chat, the client and server are built from the same source tree. The Build should include the client as well. I think it likely that we'll be seeing custom clients in short order, especially when people start trying to turn on the built-in developer/admin commands.

As far as The Build goes, 'everyone' just got the i24 Build and they're fixing it to make it playable. Meanwhile Leo has and will distribute real soon his i25 Build which he already fixed to make playable and modded a few things (making it a new 'issue', i.e., i25). Also, there may be several versions of the i24 Build floating about.

There are rumors of a second leaked Build, that is a different version; how different is unknown given that it's just rumors. If anyone knows who has it and what they have, they're not spilling the beans. Regardless, with as much hacking and modding as is currently happening, there are bound to be many different variations of the "I24 Build" very soon.

As far as The Content goes... we will soon have Leo's i25 version. And that can be back-patched into a working i24 version? Is that correct? Is there an i24 version of The Content floating about?

The above is correct. The "back-patching" is what will take time. It's akin to decompiling a program and trying to generate pristine original source code form the compiled assembly language code. As far as anyone knows, there are no other version of I24 Content floating about; apparently even Leandro didn't keep the older versions of his own content.

As far as The Playberbase Data goes.  Didn't Leo say his source went through each server and grabbed all that data and sent it to him? And Leo has to scrub that before releasing it, right? And that would make The Playerbase Date i24, unless for some reason, Leo distributes his i25 version of The Playerbase Data.

All of that is correct. "Scrubbing" is relative, in this case. Part of the point of releasing that database would be to make it possible for past players to identify their data and recover it. That, necessarily, means that it contains personally identifiable information (probably not more than a person's old login name, but that's still "sensitive" info). That means he'll be more careful about how that data is handled compared to just releasing the source files.

Am I in the ballpark?

-Zombie Man, keeper of guides

Yep!

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #757 on: April 19, 2019, 03:18:59 PM »
To clear things up a bit - a lot of the questions about what source code and so on are intentionally vague.

No one wants there to be a chance to back track and find out who did what.

Servers soon - will magically appear thanks to Nemesis plots to destroy the world being foiled. Let's stick with that plan.

Nemesis snapped his fingers - time to undo the snap.

Eiko-chan

• Minion
« Reply #758 on: April 19, 2019, 03:23:35 PM »
How would characters be associated with their creators if no player personal data was kept?
My outsider understanding is that the character database has account names, but no other information. So if you remember your login account name and/or your global handle, your characters can be found.

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #759 on: April 19, 2019, 03:25:04 PM »
This has been an entertaining few days.
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com