Author Topic: The Shot Heard Around Paragon City - SCORE Public Release  (Read 262126 times)

Twi

• Connoisseur of Fine Imports
  • Lieutenant
  • Defender
Re: The Shot Heard Around Paragon City - SCORE Public Release
« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2019, 07:34:15 PM »
Your (and the team's) heart is in the right place.

I mean, is it, though?
I am a defender and so can you.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2019, 07:59:05 PM »
That is the problem isn't it.

When you have the chance to do something selfless or to keep it for yourself - what would you do? I think i would get a few people in the world of computing and have them make a launcher that could be hosted on a standard gaming server (www.serversaustralia.com.au/resources/blog/beginners-guide-to-setting-up-a-private-wow-server/) where you can normally rent them for about 1 American dollar per slot a month. If you wanted an entire server you might be able to work a discount.

Now what happens?

That is going to be up to NCSoft and the owners of the private server. If they want to contact me - I retire in August and would be happy to try hosting a wide open server that could test the limits of NCSofts patience and I would in fact have wide open books so they could see I make zero profit - but have a donation page that will give all extra funds beyond running expenses to them in a monthly check. This MIGHT allow some leeway on our behalf.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 08:05:21 PM by Ironwolf »

Super Atom

• Lieutenant
« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2019, 08:18:03 PM »

When you have the chance to do something selfless or to keep it for yourself - what would you do? I think i would get a few people in the world of computing and have them make a launcher that could be hosted on a standard gaming server (www.serversaustralia.com.au/resources/blog/beginners-guide-to-setting-up-a-private-wow-server/) where you can normally rent them for about 1 American dollar per slot a month. If you wanted an entire server you might be able to work a discount.

Now what happens?

That is going to be up to NCSoft and the owners of the private server. If they want to contact me - I retire in August and would be happy to try hosting a wide open server that could test the limits of NCSofts patience and I would in fact have wide open books so they could see I make zero profit - but have a donation page that will give all extra funds beyond running expenses to them in a monthly check. This MIGHT allow some leeway on our behalf.

This is what safe hands looks like.

Rumahu

• Underling
« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2019, 08:19:15 PM »

Now what happens?

I will help back the server, and I'm sure many others will as well. Use a patreon page or something of the sort to help with server costs and make it on a donation basis and we'll be right back into another grey area with NCSoft and we might be able to keep it up since it's not making a "profit" and is free to use.

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2019, 08:25:35 PM »
Look at how many people come out of the woodwork, wanting to help, wanting to be a part of it.

Here's the thing: if it is completely done, there is no reason to keep it secret.

They even have content WE NEVER HAD.

The only reason to keep it to themselves, is to be the ones in control of CoX.

Spread it. Share it. Give it back to the community.

Lording over us like this does nothing besides make it so not only did ncsoft backstab us, but you did, too.
Woo! - Argent Girl

Nightmarer

• Boss
  • We all float down here
« Reply #65 on: April 16, 2019, 08:27:36 PM »

Now what happens?

I would absolutely love if taht would happen. I have been unable to be interested in any MMO for more than a few weeks so I have been playing on and off LOTRO, SWTOR. Age of Conan, Rift, WoW, heck I even tried Elder Scrolls Online. I was currently playing Rift and, to my own surprise, I realized that I was unable to play knowing as I know now that there is a CoH server, I know it is irrational but I am afraid I can't help it therefore, what you suggest here feels amazing and I really wish that you had a totally unplanned circumstance that by sheer chance made a copy the code available for you.

SilverAgeFan

• Underling
« Reply #66 on: April 16, 2019, 08:28:10 PM »
In an attempt at some levity, found a few screenshots buried on an old drive while looking for some work stuff this afternoon.

The first is a bee themed hero made within the last year or so of live servers.

The rest are costumes I was playing with after all the hubbub around the gunslinger pack being pretty useless for most costumes. I got a lot of generalized use out of those bits.  :)

Spoiler for Hidden:

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #67 on: April 16, 2019, 08:44:42 PM »

Now what happens?

Intriguing idea. 

I guess the more people that had it, legal 'whack a mole' would be hard to chase CoH private servers breeding like rabbits...  (Though, of course, I'm not suggesting they drop a hydrogen bomb by releasing private servers in Argentina..., Ecuador...and...)

It is interesting that Nostralius (by sheer volume of numbers, 1 million peak?) brought Blizzard to the negotiating table with their private server.  Such was the demand for 'Vanilla' WoW.  (For me the equivalent would be pre: issue 4 even though, of course SCORE are settled on issue 24 and who would say 'no' to insta-snipe, eh?)

I still can't fathom that CoH never had a million players.  It's better than WoW.  I've played WoW a lot in CoH's absence in the last couple of years.  Kudos to them for pushing the envelope on it.  But I never found the combat or community or mobbing a patch on CoH.

Still, the mere idea that CoH has been living a secret life, sipping a margarita and wearing a straw hat on some exotic sandy shore somewhere on the dark web...

...a day of celebration.

Azrael.

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #68 on: April 16, 2019, 08:46:16 PM »
In an attempt at some levity, found a few screenshots buried on an old drive while looking for some work stuff this afternoon.

The first is a bee themed hero made within the last year or so of live servers.

The rest are costumes I was playing with after all the hubbub around the gunslinger pack being pretty useless for most costumes. I got a lot of generalized use out of those bits.  :)

Spoiler for Hidden:

Some good costumes there.

Just when you think there aren't anymore costume combinations...

Azrael.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #69 on: April 16, 2019, 08:47:21 PM »
If, you make all funds above monthly costs refunded to NCSoft - you might - get some slack. Then again it belongs to them and they paid millions for it.

Other people have the knowledge to do this as well and several of them are running the game NOW. They know the cost and they have the code. I would suggest setting one up and do so openly - no need to even broach the subject of who, what, when, where the code came from. Follow the idea to give all extra funds to NCSoft.

Carry the torch, pass it on.

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #70 on: April 16, 2019, 08:54:55 PM »
If, you make all funds above monthly costs refunded to NCSoft - you might - get some slack. Then again it belongs to them and they paid millions for it.

Other people have the knowledge to do this as well and several of them are running the game NOW. They know the cost and they have the code. I would suggest setting one up and do so openly - no need to even broach the subject of who, what, when, where the code came from. Follow the idea to give all extra funds to NCSoft.

Carry the torch, pass it on.

An interesting idea, Ironwolf.  I'm not sure NC Soft have the same courage or honour code you have.  But many will say you don't know until you try.

Some have said they don't sue with private servers for their other properties?  Is there the suggestion with CoH that it is somehow 'personal'?  (People can speculate as to what I mean by that.)  But again, if a server went up?  It would be a first significant test.

The laws of 'legacy' games are starting to soften in terms of recent legislation.  Even 'fair use' in terms of preserving MMOs is being brought under scrutiny.  Perhaps the team are waiting until it's 'black and white' before breaking cover...

Didn't Starwars Galaxies (was it?) that had a 'leak' of code from Sony themselves?  And they left the 'Starwars' community to 'get on with it?'

Azrael.

PS.  Iron wolf.  Great to have you back posting on these boards again.  Your voice of reason and creativity have been much missed. 

TinFoil

• Minion
« Reply #71 on: April 16, 2019, 09:31:57 PM »
You know, it doesn't bother me that someone had a ball and wouldn't let me play with it... but when we all are sitting around talking about how much we miss playing ball and then someone in the group goes home and plays with their ball, that kinda gets me.

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #72 on: April 16, 2019, 09:45:46 PM »
Didn't Starwars Galaxies (was it?) that had a 'leak' of code from Sony themselves?  And they left the 'Starwars' community to 'get on with it?'

Yes I am playing on three of those servers. Swglegends is celebrating its 3rd year anniversary now.

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #73 on: April 16, 2019, 09:54:41 PM »

As I have said many, many times, I just want to play COH before I die. I honestly don't care how this happens, just so it does.

This news changes nothing except now we know there is code out there when we all thought there wasn't.

Am I jealous? No, at least someone is getting to play and maybe someday it will be me.

Do I feel betrayed? Yes by NCSoft, not SCORE.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #74 on: April 16, 2019, 10:15:52 PM »

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #75 on: April 16, 2019, 10:16:55 PM »
I guess my thoughts are that we can condemn those with the code or try to persuade them.

I ask for total amnesty - the cat is out of the bag - time to let the past stay there and try for a good future.

nicoliy

• Boss
« Reply #76 on: April 16, 2019, 10:18:45 PM »
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 02:24:56 AM by TonyV »

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #77 on: April 16, 2019, 10:31:52 PM »
Woo! - Argent Girl

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #79 on: April 16, 2019, 10:59:07 PM »
I completely feel bad that anyone would ever send anyone a death threat...

But they're really not doing us any good by not sharing the data. Just anonymously post it up on a torrent site or something. Spread the data around.

It currently has things that weren't even originally in the game on the public servers... there is no excuse now, and claiming they were going to do it in just a few weeks if no one said anything?

Put your damn money where your mouth is.
Woo! - Argent Girl