Author Topic: The Shot Heard Around Paragon City - SCORE Public Release  (Read 262170 times)

Super Atom

• Lieutenant
Re: The Shot Heard Around Paragon City - SCORE Public Release
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2019, 05:31:08 PM »
A lot of posters are missing the lead here. The release 24 server exists and is functional.  SCORE has a working version to use!

Until this news there was serious question as to whether the code needed to run COH even still existed or could be made functional.

SCORE stands for "The Secret Cabal of REVERSE ENGINEERS.  And at least one of their hypothesized projects is a reverse-engineered COH 24 server that can be run on a single machine released into the wild for anybody to run.  If you're focusing on the fact that they have a server running (like that idiot behind the "all of us or none of us" crap a few years back) you're missing the fact that this is the best news about getting the game back in the last 5 years.

Looking at the only stuff with any weight to it, you know /those/ videos, If the code was ever going to be released it would have been by now. The threat of a C&D only works if the project was a WIP, not in a completed state. The only thing we have to go on is the word of one guy since the other side was vague and told us to support a project thats issue 0 and doesn't have functioning anything really while they're doing incarnate trials and playing the whole game. (No hate twords SEGS, beautiful honest people) Until the other side defends itself and actually has proof of what they're doing and their intentions everyone only has one side to the story and that side hurts.

Twi

• Connoisseur of Fine Imports
  • Lieutenant
  • Defender
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2019, 05:31:48 PM »
A lot of posters are missing the lead here. The release 24 server exists and is functional.  SCORE has a working version to use!

Until this news there was serious question as to whether the code needed to run COH even still existed or could be made functional.

SCORE stands for "The Secret Cabal of REVERSE ENGINEERS.  And at least one of their hypothesized projects is a reverse-engineered COH 24 server that can be run on a single machine released into the wild for anybody to run.  If you're focusing on the fact that they have a server running (like that idiot behind the "all of us or none of us" crap a few years back) you're missing the fact that this is the best news about getting the game back in the last 5 years.

Something having the ability to happen is not the same as it actually happening, and it seems they have no intention of allowing how they managed this to spread. Which isn't going to help anyone else aside from the people who get private invites.
I am a defender and so can you.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2019, 05:49:42 PM »
I wake up every day and can look in the mirror and say - I am a good man - not a great man, I wasn't born rich or able to hit 700 home runs. I raised 2 girls to be adults. I am helping raise 6 grand kids and I don't desire anything I have not earned.

I see a lot of the posts here saying why not me? Why was I left out - I never knew about the server and still I don't envy those who played. They knew what they were doing was wrong, they knew they couldn't share it with anyone and they now face the loss of respect by the other players. The game belongs to NCSoft unless someone gets permission or changes it enough not to violate TOS.

I can look in the mirror and still say - I am a good man, I don't want the game back unless I can take you all with me.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2019, 05:54:13 PM »
If anyone knows the people involved personally, suggest to them that they contact archive.org.   If nothing else, archive.org might be willing to preserve the code even if they won't distribute it.  Laws change and what's illegal today could be legal tomorrow.

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2019, 06:03:00 PM »

Super Atom

• Lieutenant
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2019, 06:28:17 PM »
Well, It's on VICE now who reached out to NCsoft for comment. So...secrets completely out now?

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/mb8jd8/a-secret-server-for-the-dead-mmo-city-of-heroes-has-players-in-an-uproar

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2019, 06:28:54 PM »

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2019, 06:32:26 PM »
If the people involved want to save face, they should spread the information as far and wide as they can so that it cant be traced back to just them, and so we can have our game back.

I don't care what rationalization there is. I want to play my game again, and I think all of us do. They know that.

But no, now we hear about the special select few who got invites over and over again.

I played hours and hours of that game. I was incredibly active, just not the right kind of active, likely the forums, likely here, likely who knows what.

Private servers are at best legally gray.

Release the servers.

Invite us all.

Don't keep it to yourself. NCSoft is not going to give us back our game. You can. Do it.
Woo! - Argent Girl

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2019, 06:33:53 PM »
Well, It's on VICE now who reached out to NCsoft for comment. So...secrets completely out now?

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/mb8jd8/a-secret-server-for-the-dead-mmo-city-of-heroes-has-players-in-an-uproar

Well, now we know NCSOFT knows ... or at least should know.

blue storm

• Boss
  • #savecoh
    • Freedom Academy
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2019, 06:37:22 PM »
I, for one, am happy that there is an ISSUE 24 server somewhere....  Sure I did move on and played other games since then : but would I go back to CoH : YES, in an instant.

So I'm just hoping that someone will put an anonymous torrent somewhere with that server code, for everyone to grab.

Paragon should seed and endure.

Paragon Lives !
--

PerfectWeapon

• Underling
« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2019, 06:43:12 PM »
I have not posted in a few years, but it does feel like a slap in the face.  Also, the thought of someone else having access and possibly playing my characters makes me feel dirty lol.  Iron Wolf you are the man, thanks for what you do.

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2019, 06:47:17 PM »
Believe me, that question has crossed my mind more than once, especially since I know several of the devs and have a good rapport with the ones I know.

I'm not going to speculate on who released what to Leo. I honestly have no idea, and in fact, as I type this, I'm not 100% sure that anyone did. (Has that actually been definitively established?) No one has confessed to me, and really, it's probably something I'd rather not know because I'd be lying if I said that I'm totally on board with swiping code from one's employer, even in the cause of some more noble principle. (Though to be clear, I'm not saying I'm against it. Frankly, I'm torn on the issue.) Maybe that's why; whoever did it knows that Leo had more time, effort, and ability to see this to fruition than I did, with fewer qualms about setting it through to its logical end.

It really, really doesn't matter to me. I'm just glad something was released to somebody. It means it's out there, it wasn't totally destroyed, so our chances of having something tangible at some point are dramatically higher than they were before.

It means the CoH legacy is in safe hands.  This will be a day long remembered despite the unfortunate manner of the 'leak.'

Azrael.

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2019, 06:50:16 PM »
If anyone knows the people involved personally, suggest to them that they contact archive.org.   If nothing else, archive.org might be willing to preserve the code even if they won't distribute it.  Laws change and what's illegal today could be legal tomorrow.

Hmm.  That's an intriguing suggestion.

'Law' (currently stacked in favour of the corporations who 'made' them...) is subject to change.

Azrael.

Super Atom

• Lieutenant
« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2019, 06:53:47 PM »
I don't know if safe hands is a good word to be used considering they're being accused of hoarding it for themselves. Nobody has ever had the right to select who can and cannot play City of Heroes. Wasn't right when NCsoft tried, isn't right now.

Again though, until both sides come out it's speculation and accusations.

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2019, 07:09:35 PM »
I, for one, am happy that there is an ISSUE 24 server somewhere....  Sure I did move on and played other games since then : but would I go back to CoH : YES, in an instant.

So I'm just hoping that someone will put an anonymous torrent somewhere with that server code, for everyone to grab.

Paragon should seed and endure.

Paragon Lives !

'It's alive.'

Somewhere.

That's an upgrade on 'doesn't exist anymore because NC Soft wiped the servers, the back up, the development team and the players.' out of existence.

Azrael.

mrultimate

• Elite Boss
« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2019, 07:10:30 PM »
I wake up every day and can look in the mirror and say - I am a good man - not a great man, I wasn't born rich or able to hit 700 home runs. I raised 2 girls to be adults. I am helping raise 6 grand kids and I don't desire anything I have not earned.

I see a lot of the posts here saying why not me? Why was I left out - I never knew about the server and still I don't envy those who played. They knew what they were doing was wrong, they knew they couldn't share it with anyone and they now face the loss of respect by the other players. The game belongs to NCSoft unless someone gets permission or changes it enough not to violate TOS.

I can look in the mirror and still say - I am a good man, I don't want the game back unless I can take you all with me.

Well said Ironwolf.

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2019, 07:17:23 PM »
It makes complete sense that SCORE did what they did.

In light of the demolition job that 'C&D' bulldozed the Tab Ras emu team.

Prudence and discretion are the order of the day.  Until the end of time?  Until the right time.

Corporations like the odds stacked in their favour.

However, when you treat people like c**p the scales of 'justice' eventually re-balance.  Ergo: the 'leak' of code(?) from PC to the 'secret community.'  NC Soft didn't drape themselves in glory over the CoH shut down.  It was personal.  It's an old game.  Just give it back to the community and get some GOOD p.r, NC.  But no, you'll pry it from their dead, dying hands.  We don't want to own the IP rights.  Just a creaky old server to play a creaky old game that was and still is unique.

And 'natural justice' and 'the law' don't always weigh evenly.

So.  Things like this happen.  Call it moral outrage.  But they channeled it internally.  'Secret Heroes.'  Sure, it would be nice if we'd all got an invite.  But the 'open secret' would have led to being sued into oblivion.

So?

That's fine by me.  'The team' will know if and when the time is right.

Azrael.

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2019, 07:21:06 PM »
Well said Ironwolf.

It is 'well said.'

However, we'll be waiting a long time for a corporation like NC Soft (and their 'honour code') to bend.

Perhaps our best hope is legal access to MMOs (we paid a lot of rental money for...and still own the goddamn boxes but can't access the game...even as solo or local LAN...) granted by a 'vote of fairness' from those great guys and gals in congress.

Or SEGs.  They're making sound progress.   Or...   or..

Azrael.

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #58 on: April 16, 2019, 07:24:09 PM »
PS.  Kick-ass statement from Leandro.

An elegant nail-gun which addresses the matter in its entirety.

That's fine by me, Leandro.

Your (and the team's) heart is in the right place.

'Never the end.'

Azrael.

Super Atom

• Lieutenant
« Reply #59 on: April 16, 2019, 07:33:39 PM »
NCsoft was being sued over Tabula. It makes sense to squish it out of fear. Lineage 2, wildstar, lineage, and guildwars have very public private servers and some of those games have for years. So that doesn't actually work. Furthering, the C&D fear doesn't make sense to be the only ones with it. A public anon release to make sure it never fades makes more sense in that situation. The statement was full of holes and to think otherwise is weird. I'm not going to attack anyone but i'm not going to just pretend everything is fine either.