Author Topic: The Umbrella Academy  (Read 3861 times)

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
The Umbrella Academy
« on: February 20, 2019, 05:24:00 AM »
I'm three or four episodes in and I think I like it?  Maybe?  It's an odd one.  The story is kinda interesting so far, and I like these damaged characters and want to know more about them.  But the pacing is all over the place.  And the music is a little too front and center.  The first episode basically stops to become a music video for a couple of minutes.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Vee

• Elite Boss
Re: The Umbrella Academy
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 05:52:54 AM »
I watched the first ep. Was OK but kinda dull and I didn't particularly care what happened after. Couple that with my lack of any particular compulsion to finish it and the fact that something about Ellen Page's voice gives me the howlers and I tapped out.

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 05:51:06 PM »
Does it have a Heroes feel to it?

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 07:35:15 PM »

Not even a little.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2019, 10:04:44 PM »

The closest show I can come up with to compare it with is Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Mandu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 02:26:12 AM »
I've seen most of it and really like it.  And I really didn't mind the music video bit of the first episode. First it set the tone that they haven't been together since the 80s. Second the personality of each of the characters really shows through in the way they dance so you get a good look at what they are like without needing all sorts of exposition.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2019, 10:46:53 PM »

Not even a little.

So it makes sense then.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2019, 04:23:02 AM »
So it makes sense then.

Not even a little. :)

HalcyonS

• Boss
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2019, 05:05:00 AM »
Not even a little. :)

But in some great ways.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2019, 10:39:30 PM »
What an irritating ending.

Mandu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2019, 02:39:51 AM »
What an irritating ending.

Spoiler for Hidden:
It didn't irritate me all that much. I just though it was formulaic because it was their actions that actually caused the apocalypse.  Throughout the series only two things seriously irritated me and those were both physics based.  The first was when Hazel out muscled Luther.  I wouldn't have minded if he just beat him in hand to hand combat through fighting skill but he actually out muscled somebody with super strength. The second was when it took a chunk of the moon about 3 minutes to reach Earth, which would have meant it was traveling at about 5 million miles per hour.

What I'm wondering is if they are going to have the season 2 characters played by the adult actors or the child actors.  I imagine it will be the adults because you don't want to drop the actors the audience has come to identify with.  But I'm not sure how that would work out considering what we saw.

And I wonder if they will address where Sir Reginald came from.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2019, 09:51:08 AM »
Season finales that don't resolve anything irritate me.  Inconclusive conclusions aren't satisfying.  And then there's the concern that the next season may never even come along.  Straight up cliffhangers as season finales are the worst (The Best of Both Worlds is my most hated TNG episode), but I'm on the fence about labelling this a cliffhanger.

CG

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2019, 10:49:30 AM »
I liked it!

Well there will be a season 2, so that's good.

I found that it was a little slow in getting the secret histories out so that the plot could move forward. 

Spoiler for Hidden:
The Day That Wasn't was frustrating because all the character and plot advancements that were made got undone (Except for Five). I think there's a time travel bug there - shouldn't there be 2 Fives at the start of the say, the original and the one that came back? 

The time travel as a whole was all over the map as far as how it works.

Didn't like that Luther got beat up.  I mean if Hazel had been made superhuman by the Commission, they should have said that up front.

I liked it.  Probably worth a re-watch to re-contextualize the scenes knowing all the other secrets.