Author Topic: Runaways Season 2  (Read 4555 times)

Mandu

• Elite Boss
Runaways Season 2
« on: December 23, 2018, 04:22:40 AM »
Still much better plot and characters than The Gifted.  Of course that's not a very high bar.

A lot more action this year and the parents aren't being portrayed heroically like they were at the end of last season.

I'm most of the way through the season and it looks like it will still be all about the parents and aliens with no hint of the Runaways actually running away.  One good part is that Molly is actually acting more like 14 than 10 most of the time.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
Re: Runaways Season 2
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 06:58:07 AM »
How am I supposed to know about these things in a timely fashion when you don't start the thread until the season is done (or mostly, anyway).  Now I gotta hope it's a Hulu lingerer rather than a only-5-episodes kinda thing.  ;P
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2018, 07:19:39 AM »
All 13 dropped Friday. Mandu's just a go-getter.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 07:38:54 AM »
All 13 dropped Friday. Mandu's just a go-getter.

Oh, good.  I was beginning to wonder what I don't pay him for!
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2018, 05:04:24 PM »
Still much better plot and characters than The Gifted.  Of course that's not a very high bar.

A lot more action this year and the parents aren't being portrayed heroically like they were at the end of last season.

I'm most of the way through the season and it looks like it will still be all about the parents and aliens with no hint of the Runaways actually running away.  One good part is that Molly is actually acting more like 14 than 10 most of the time.

Don't know what you mean. The Runaways have actually run away. This was firmly established before the end of last season. They're even wanted for murder. Doesn't get much more running away than that.

That said, the kids are still way too trusting/forgiving of their parents, imo, and the series still seems way too coy with the villainy of many of the parents, but they're coming around.

Really wish they'd done something other than the cult stuff, but it's okay.

Spoiler for Hidden:
They actually seem to have brought the show more in-line with the books, although not exactly. The Gibborim seem more like the books. I wish Xavin would have been played by two actors instead of a woman. Xavin will always be kind of a creep to me because he started male. But then, this Xavin is way too forceful with the "betrothed" thing.
aka Majadi | Sugar Cane | Absinthe | Killer Antz | Bogatyra | ...
Best Video Game of 2016 -- Paragon Chat!!!
Codewalker for Mayor of Paragon!

Mandu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2018, 12:29:55 AM »
Don't know what you mean. The Runaways have actually run away. This was firmly established before the end of last season. They're even wanted for murder. Doesn't get much more running away than that.

That said, the kids are still way too trusting/forgiving of their parents, imo, and the series still seems way too coy with the villainy of many of the parents, but they're coming around.

Really wish they'd done something other than the cult stuff, but it's okay.

Spoiler for Hidden:
They actually seem to have brought the show more in-line with the books, although not exactly. The Gibborim seem more like the books. I wish Xavin would have been played by two actors instead of a woman. Xavin will always be kind of a creep to me because he started male. But then, this Xavin is way too forceful with the "betrothed" thing.

What I mean is they ran away like a 5 year old runs away.  Travel about two blocks away from their house and then just hang around.  Ok, so maybe it was a few miles away but that isn't running away. That's hanging out with your friends because you are mad at your parents.

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2018, 01:48:49 AM »
Spoiler for Hidden:
Ok so the reason why Jonah is blackmailing the parents because he wants to go to his home planet with his species and Carolina wants to help. That's kinda of a weird conflict.

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2018, 02:16:26 AM »
Spoiler for Hidden:
Jonah summoned Hamidon. How about that!

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2018, 06:02:30 AM »
What I mean is they ran away like a 5 year old runs away.  Travel about two blocks away from their house and then just hang around.  Ok, so maybe it was a few miles away but that isn't running away. That's hanging out with your friends because you are mad at your parents.

Well i'm pretty sure if I couldn't use cards or my phone I'd only be able to make it as far as the amount of gas in my car, assuming there's no apb on it. Without tech or time to plan i'm not sure I'd make it as far as the 5 year old without getting nabbed.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2018, 01:24:31 AM »
Was the acting this flat and awkward first season?

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2018, 08:55:07 PM »
Jonah's Australian accent sounded weird.  I was a little surprised that the actor is from Australia.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2018, 09:43:11 PM »
I like how Topher slips into Spanish that everyone knows reminiscent of El Dorado on Superfriends. Except Superfriends didn't have Molly there to do excited unnecessary translations.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2018, 10:08:37 PM »
I didn't understand much of his Spanish, actually, though I probably could've gotten enough of a gist from context without the translation. 

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2018, 02:58:24 AM »
Finished the series.  I'm assuming the brother...

Spoiler for Hidden:
...is in the unborn child. 

Mandu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2018, 03:12:46 AM »

Spoiler for Hidden:

I hadn't thought of that possibility.  But I think they are going a different direction.  Warning, my spoiler wrapped theory contains information from the comics.  The tv series actually isn't very close to the comics at all. There was no possession in the comics, the parents weren't ever even slightly sympathetic, and the Gibborim were some elder god giants from the past.  But my theory is based on something that happened in the comic.

Spoiler for Hidden:
I think it's Alex.  In the comics he betrayed the group because he wanted himself and his parents to be chosen as three of the six meant to survive and help rule once the Gibborim destroy and remake the Earth.  He turned out to be just as bad as the parents and only repented and tried to help the group after he was dead as a way of escaping hell which is where he wound up.  So I think he is going to betray the group, try to get them killed, and wind up dead himself.  But the show will blame it on the possessing alien so the showrunners can continue in their theme of having every single bad guy actually be in some morally conflicted grey area.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2018, 06:01:25 AM »
I considered that first, actually, but there weren't any signs and I felt Xavin would've noticed.

HalcyonS

• Boss
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2019, 04:31:17 AM »
I considered that first, actually, but there weren't any signs and I felt Xavin would've noticed.

Yeah, I thought that as well.

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2019, 02:28:15 PM »

Spoiler for Hidden:
Spoiler for Hidden:
So then, what's Nico's possession problem? They've even alluded that the brother is in her, imo.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2019, 02:57:20 PM »
Dark instead of light with the staff being almost directly cited as the source.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2019, 04:49:29 PM »
I don't watch all these but are all these mutant shows related / connected to each other or the X-Men films?

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2019, 06:10:22 PM »
I don't watch all these but are all these mutant shows related / connected to each other or the X-Men films?

I haven't noticed any indications of connections.

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2019, 06:56:15 PM »
Runaways isn't really a mutant team. It's just a group of kids of various backgrounds, whose parents are criminals, which causes them to... run away. They get their powers from various things: one is a witch, one is a gadgeteer, one has some genetically designed link to a dinosaur her parents created, one (well 2) is alien, and one (Molly) happened to be a mutant. A cyborg comes later.

There's no link between this and the X-Men films. There may be a link with the rest of Marvel movies, but it's only been hinted and doesn't really affect plots.