Author Topic: Daredevil Season 4  (Read 1952 times)

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
Daredevil Season 4
« on: November 30, 2018, 03:57:11 PM »
 >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

:'(

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
Re: Daredevil Season 4
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 06:00:18 PM »
Eh?  Was its cancellation announced as expected by most or something?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 09:22:41 PM by Tenzhi »
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 06:32:15 PM »
Sigh, this is the only one i half wanted another season of. So now it's down to Punisher which wasn't very good the first time around and JJ which was terrible in s2 and lost its showrunner. Seems promising.

Dev7on

• Elite Boss

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 09:35:52 PM »
Sigh, this is the only one i half wanted another season of. So now it's down to Punisher which wasn't very good the first time around and JJ which was terrible in s2 and lost its showrunner. Seems promising.

Punisher is the one I most want another season of.  I would've liked another season of Daredevil, mind, but I'm also satisfied with how it ended.  But I think the writing's been on the wall for Marvel Netflix.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2018, 02:17:40 PM »
 >:(

HalcyonS

• Boss
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2018, 12:06:21 AM »
Yeah, what the Cap said.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2018, 05:52:28 AM »
That's the damning thing about it.  Imagine the Marvel MCU if Disney sold the rights to Marvel to another studio who didn't care to make tentpole movies and the story never finished with the Avengers.  Unless you're heavily invested in the characters, folks who were interested lose passion in it, and move on to something that has a better chance to get a full story out.  Were any of the Netflix series trying to do something to that degree?  It's hard to say because shows other than Daredevil were pushing through a sophomore slump to try to find an identity, but if someone was casually watching the series to see it through to it's end, they certainly won't bother now. 

That's what is upsetting... This doesn't hurt Netflix, or Disney, really.  This hurts existing properties elsewhere: Arrowverse, Shondaland, the Dick Wolf "Chicago" thing NBC's got.  This hurts future prospects of similar "universes" because if it's not a smash hit, it's not worth pursuing.

The Defenders becomes a cautionary tale.  And further ventures into TV get the same "tentpole skepticism" that movie studios push risk-taking producers and artists out onto the street over.  Risk makes art.  If you have to bet smaller, bet smaller, but don't stop betting.

(Rant over.)

I'll see these series to their unintended conclusions.  Especially this one, because I like to think this is how Fulton Reed from the Mighty Ducks grew up after leaving childhood hockey.  (And Charlie Cox really has impressed me.  I didn't think much of him at the start, but he grew on me.)
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Mandu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2018, 10:00:34 PM »
It's not like it's not coming back.  The main actors of every single show have been hinting that it's not over.  Disney purposely jacked up their licensing fees and started exerting creative control so that Netflix would say "screw this", and it worked.  It's not likely they will wind up on the Disney streaming service because that is supposed to remain PG. But Disney owns 60% of Hulu so expect them to show up there.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2018, 05:31:24 PM »
I wouldn't count on that.

Netflix has so many past TV seasons because they exploit syndication laws letting them carry second-run rights to a number of series for cheap.  Hulu does that too, but also sinks money into reairing recent episodes (mostly the last 5-10 on the prime time ones), so that puts a hit into their wallet for Original Programming revenue.  Unless they ditch that strategy, they can't compete with Netflix to bring on large amounts of new shows.

However, I wouldn't factor out them moving the shows somewhere else.  They're too graphic for ABC, Freeform is a toss-up, but Disney owns another property to set them at that most folks will groan at adding to their cable/satellite bill: Starz.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2018, 05:42:06 PM »
I like that we're imagining all these awkward fits just because Disney's planning to launch a streaming service with just PG stuff rather than add a parental control system to it like basically every form of tv has had since the 90s. Of course there's really nothing preventing them launching a Marvel streaming service or adding tv to Marvel Unlimited I suppose.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2018, 07:30:24 AM »
Of course there's really nothing preventing them launching a Marvel streaming service or adding tv to Marvel Unlimited I suppose.

Both are just as viable, too.