Author Topic: Daredevil Season 3  (Read 3040 times)

Vee

• Elite Boss
Daredevil Season 3
« on: October 20, 2018, 05:32:08 PM »
First two eps were pretty good. Though the series is now rife with hippie propaganda :P

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
Re: Daredevil Season 3
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2018, 09:17:27 PM »
What? It's out already?  Curses!
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

AmberOfDzu

• Boss
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2018, 01:32:40 AM »
Entertaining, but has a lot of holes in it. The characters are written purposefully stupid on occasion in order to skip over them.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2018, 01:45:46 PM »
Episode 1 dragged a bit.  Had some irritating flashbacks and a montage that didn't bear fruit.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 07:30:12 PM »
Finished it. Some silly bits and lazy writing bits but at least it wasn't as dull as their other recent offerings.

Spoiler for Hidden:
Funny that they couldn't use adamantium but they could use the guy who developed the process of bonding it for a different madeupnium.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 09:03:42 PM »
That fight in the prison was delightfully brutal.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2018, 12:31:17 PM »
I think the "Karen" episode might be the worst one in the series.  It's certainly the worst so far this season.

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2018, 09:14:23 PM »
That fight in the prison was delightfully brutal.

That was my favorite part of the season.

I think the "Karen" episode might be the worst one in the series.  It's certainly the worst so far this season.

I agree. That episode was completely unnecessary to the story.

AmberOfDzu

• Boss
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2018, 01:05:51 AM »
I agree. That episode was completely unnecessary to the story.

The nice thing about Netflix is that you can move the slider over to the right when a show bogs down.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2018, 04:36:55 AM »
The nice thing about Netflix is that you can move the slider over to the right when a show bogs down.

Unfortunately, only hindsight can tell me it wasn't important and I don't want to miss anything important.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2018, 08:59:21 PM »
Alright, finally finished and the final episode was really good.  Overall I'd say the same about the season.  Aside from the aforementioned "Karen" episode, and a little too much time spent failing to make me care about Agent Nadeem I found it well paced and entertaining, with some decent action.  And Donofrio's Fisk was great as always.  And while it left it open to continuation, it also ended satisfactorily enough that I won't be upset if it's the final season.

Mandu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2018, 04:05:09 AM »
Overall I loved this season. Karen episode was annoying but at least the entire season wasn't filled with all sorts of extra pointless whining.  Previous seasons at times have been like watching an episode of Arrow "You lied to me!  I can never trust you!  I know I've also been lying to you this entire time but that's different." They would interrupt the whole storyline just to have Karen or Foggy yell at Matt.

This season went back to the basics of season 1 and what made it so strong;  The villain.  Faceless hordes of ninjas or gangsters don't make for good villains.  They make for good fights but you can't have an entire season be one long non stop fight... well not unless the series is Dragon Ball Z.   

The Daredevilverse has done well in realizing that you have to make your villains powerful but at the same time give them humanity.  Kingpin has been outstanding because despite his being evil every once in a while they slip in a reminder of the path that took him there.  And though you don't forgive him you can still feel sympathy for how screwed up his life was.  And they did the same with Bullseye.  And the other series did it with Kilgrave, and Cottonmouth, and Bushmaster, and yes even Punisher.   Though Punisher wasn't so much a villain as a warning to Daredevil of what he could become if he wasn't careful.

Each of the heroes of the various series went through some great tragedy.  But at their core each of them held on to their humanity and hope.  Each of the great villains went through a very similar tragedy but each of them was already broken in some way.  So they didn't just come out the other side stronger.  They came out stronger and more broken.  And that is what made them villains worth watching.

I absolutely loathed Madam Gao because she wasn't a person.  She had zero humanity.  She was there just to be an unstoppable force and she was as much a caricature as Ming the Merciless and every show that featured her as a villain suffered greatly for it.  And the seasons where they couldn't decide who the villain was (aka JJ season 2) fell apart for the same reason. Heroes need human villains, not underlings or cartoons.

And of the various series I don't hold Punisher to the same standard of needing a sympathetic villain.  Because it's not a superhero or even a hero story.  It's a war story.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2018, 06:47:48 AM »
This season went back to the basics of season 1 and what made it so strong;  The villain.  Faceless hordes of ninjas or gangsters don't make for good villains.  They make for good fights but you can't have an entire season be one long non stop fight... well not unless the series is Dragon Ball Z.

And even the long non stop fights of DBZ tended to largely revolve around villains with faces, so to speak.

And of the various series I don't hold Punisher to the same standard of needing a sympathetic villain.  Because it's not a superhero or even a hero story.  It's a war story.

And war never changes.

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2018, 10:26:53 PM »
Bullseye is not sympathetic in my opinion.

HalcyonS

• Boss
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2018, 01:55:15 AM »
Bullseye is not sympathetic in my opinion.

He was ish for me. I felt for him as someone trying to be 'good' but just not getting it and who lost all his coping mechanisms. Still didn't LIKE him mind you, but I did have some sympathy/understanding for him.

Mandu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2018, 03:21:51 AM »
He was a sociopath but he was also autistic and trying extremely hard to fit in. He took his medication so he could fit in. He repeated the phrases he had learned to try and be part of the group.  He was very very definitely a bad guy but he was a bad guy who had tried hard to be good for something like 20 years until he lost his routine. 

Ulysses Dare

• Boss
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2018, 05:51:53 PM »