Paragon Chat > Base Building

Base Building Tips & Tricks

(1/7) > >>

mdlittle:
Greetings PC Alumni...,

- I suppose this is as good a spot as any to reserve a spot to discuss all the fascinating ins and outs provided to us by CW & Crew regarding the most recent Issue - Base Building. Ironically, I'm not a premier base builder, but was always interested in the feature as Supergroup Bases were as much a staple of comic venue as the Danger Room was to the X-Men. Moreover, with the diversity that the base building engine had to offer...a person could build a studio apartment all the way to massive enclosed complex. So let's talk about all the wonderous things we've learned and employed over the years to get truly inspiring and creatively designed spaces.

- For starters, I'd like to discuss 'water effects'. This can be accomplished by placing an Arcane Defense Slow Field on the ground, then raise it's height by holding the shift key while clicking to hold the Slow Field and moving your mouse forward until the desired height is reached, then release the mouse button to place it. An important thing to note - you can only create 'pools' in rooms that allow for Defense placement. This trick can be used to create shallow pools to winding streams to SG sized swimming pools! Alright, who's next?

Nyghtshade:
You can create interior walls by sliding bookcases together, front to back, and for the next higher rows, slide more bookcases in to the first ones, click on them while holding down the SHIFT KEY, and slide them upwards, even if this leaves them suspended in mid-air.  the SHIFT KEY is our friend, for stacking things on top of other things!  :)

Twi:

--- Quote from: Nyghtshade on July 28, 2018, 11:18:52 PM ---You can create interior walls by sliding bookcases together, front to back, and for the next higher rows, slide more bookcases in to the first ones, click on them while holding down the SHIFT KEY, and slide them upwards, even if this leaves them suspended in mid-air.  the SHIFT KEY is our friend, for stacking things on top of other things!  :)

--- End quote ---

If you create interior walls doing this, you'll find that you won't be able to use wall details on them. The fix for this?

Use Shoji Wall Lanterns, and build a chain of them over to your "interior wall", then build more of them inside that wall to get a good range of motion to put your comic book art or whatever else you want onto those bookshelves.

Alternatively, you can use the "cubicle" item and arrange the wall of that into the position you want, then place the detail.

Tahquitz:
The Shift-Key method helps with 3D construction using desks or cabinets as a foundation. 

What I do: place Floor Tile in the area I want to build in.  Put the base layer of cabinets down, then raise the floor tiles with SHIFT+Drag until the tile is over the first layer.  Continue in this manner much like you would with Legos to assemble a structure. 

For example with Cabinets, I use Rustic Cabinets with the last clear part of the cabinet bounding box overlapping into the prior one I put down to make a solid floor.  After 4-5 cabinets high of column work, I can make a ceiling with the same cabinet to make a sub-floor.  In this manner, it's easy to make 3 floors in a room with both floor and ceiling sections filled in, or up to 6-8 in a fully open room with nothing filled in. 

The cabinets are the hardest, most tedious part.  But other considerations come into play, such as lighting.  Cabinet Ceilings are not actual ceilings, so lighting will be a challenge to place.  You need to cheat with wall lighting at places where you can get away with it.  Then there's navigation: ideally a ramp or staircase will need to exist to reach a higher floor without travel powers on.  (There's no right answer for stairs: not every staircase is linear, and making a round one out of square stairs and 'floor' blocks can be a challenge.)

But with that, layered construction is much easier than relying on magic desks, lamps or safes.

Pengy:
?Supergroup Glass Logo 2 embedded 3 or 4 steps into the floor makes a door about the same size as a mission entrance.
Rotate it by holding down the Alt key and the left mouse button and moving the mouse to make it look like an open door.
Supergroup Glass Logo 1 embedded 1 or 2 steps into the floor makes a serviceable office or tech lab window.
In either case the large Floor Lamp embedded one step into the floor can be used to make a frame.

The top of the Generator Energy Curtain can be a small platform, for a tech elevator or something.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version