Author Topic: Luke Cage season 2  (Read 7194 times)

doc7924

• Elite Boss
Re: Luke Cage season 2
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2018, 02:16:41 PM »
I don't watch any of these Netflix shows. Are they also part of the MCU like SHIELD?

And if so they actually mention some of the events in the films.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2018, 04:57:52 PM »
They have made occasional mention of events in the films, though Infinity War has yet to affect them if it ever does.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Mandu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2018, 08:33:42 PM »
Finally finished.  It was much much better than season one.  A hero is not defined by his power; a hero is defined by his opposition.  The reason I pretty much hated Cage season 1, Defenders, Iron Fish (yes that was deliberate), and Jessica Jones season 2 is because they had no villains.  A drug cartel is not a villain. A crime boss is not a villain (with one exception).  A law firm is not a villain.  Getting to the hero by threatening or attacking their vulnerable friends and family doesn't a villain make.  A school kid with a death wish could manage that.

Kingpin is a villain and he's the crime boss exception because he has the physical ability to be a legitimate opponent for Daredevil, Kilgrave is a villain, and Bushmaster is definitely a villain.  Punisher also managed to be an effective villain (or anti hero) because his skills bring him up to the level of DD.  Plus each of those villains had plenty of personality and presence.

Yes they definitely drug it out too long.  If the series had ended with Bushmaster telling his story in the police van I would have felt that was a nice tidy wrap up to the season. Sure some questions would have been left unanswered but there are always unanswered questions.

And I actually liked Danny in this.  I hated him in his own series and Defenders except when he was bantering with Luke, and the same vibe worked here.

And now my thoughts on what I would like to see.  What I would like them to do rather than adding new full length series to the MCU roster is to add a mini-series format.  Like a full season that consists of 4-5 episode story arcs with different characters.  Daughters of the Dragon, Power Man & Iron Fist, and Hellcat.  Three separate series that could be all story and zero filler.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2018, 10:14:39 PM »
Not sure how the licensing works between networks and shows but do you think they may ever have some crossings over between Daredevil or Cage with SHIELD? or Cloak and Dagger?

Mandu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2018, 12:58:28 AM »
Once upon a time I would have said it was impossible.  But then Supergirl crossed over into the CW universe when it was still on CBS so who knows.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2018, 01:14:58 AM »
Seems unlikely. The tone is completely different with the Netflix stuff than the others. Supergirl was on a different network but was the same formula. And I really hope not. As boring as these have gotten they're still leagues beyond the network garbage.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2018, 04:11:58 PM »
Seems unlikely. The tone is completely different with the Netflix stuff than the others. Supergirl was on a different network but was the same formula. And I really hope not. As boring as these have gotten they're still leagues beyond the network garbage.

The CW is co-owned by Warner and CBS so not a stretch they could cross over.

I was just wondering because they took Black Panther, not a major character really, and made a great film. Did they aim too low for something like Luke Cage and maybe could have made a film rather than just a streaming TV series.

Or Daredevil - sure they had a bomb with one film already - but the Hulk had two not so great films and he bounced back ok.

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2018, 11:01:40 PM »
Also, another problem I have is when Misty Knight quit her job because she disagreed with the captain. Than, when the captain got killed Misty became detective again. That was a waste. I thought they was going let her continue without being a detective and I would've been ok with that.

CG

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2018, 05:38:21 PM »
Just finished watching it and I really liked it. It was like the first half of last season before Diamondback showed up and started chewing the scenery.

I liked Bushmaster and that he was a credible threat to Luke.  I was super surprised (pleasantly) that he and Luke had a team-up; that was fun!  I liked his martial arts style and how it was distinct from more traditional Eastern styles.

I found Mariah to be all over the place in goals and motivation.  I'm not sure if it was just some scenes where the character was drunk or if it was that she was losing her grip like Shades thought Cottonmouth did.  It came across to me as very unpredictable in the hands of Alfre Woodard.  I'm not sure a lessor actor could have pulled that off.

The music was fantastic (again).

Danny was a great addition to the season for an episode.  I'm not sure how much of an impact his appearance had, but it was great to see Power Man and Iron Fist together fighting street crime. I hope they can continue this much improved Iron Fist in any future Netflix series'.

I thought the ending with what Luke gets was a very interesting choice.  The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

I'm not sure where they're going with Tilda, but I'm assuming she'll be one of the antagonists for next season.

The show didn't feel like 8 episodes stretched into 13 like last season.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2018, 10:08:09 PM »

The show didn't feel like 8 episodes stretched into 13 like last season.

Felt about the same to me, more actual content than the latter part of s1 but the eps also seemed longer. but at least it wasn't 2 episodes stretched into 13 like j.jones s2.

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2018, 06:05:01 AM »
Felt about the same to me, more actual content than the latter part of s1 but the eps also seemed longer. but at least it wasn't 2 episodes stretched into 13 like j.jones s2.

Yeah. I finished Luke Cage season 2 in, like, 3 days. I started Jessica Jones season 2 a month or so ago, and I'm only about halfway through.... It's definitely not keeping my attention like season 1 did.

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2018, 05:35:47 AM »
Breaking News: Luke Cage is also cancelled!

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/luke-cage-canceled-1202987278/

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2018, 07:02:57 AM »
Well, damn.  I was actually interested in where they were going.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 04:37:04 PM by Tenzhi »
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2018, 07:27:48 AM »
I think if they'd done season 2 as 8 eps this one would still be around. It's kind of bittersweet to me. On the one hand i'm thrilled for the infinite queue to lessen a bit and this show was boring. On the other i liked the world building, most of the characters and most of the acting. It was the execution I had a problem with. And it's nuts that this is cancelled yet SHIELD continues to exist, not to mention the DC catalog. I'm worried that these cancellations are only in preparation for a ton of terrible shows to drop once disney's streaming service is going.

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2018, 12:55:48 PM »
This is making me think Marvel is just moving their series to the Disney stream.
aka Majadi | Sugar Cane | Absinthe | Killer Antz | Bogatyra | ...
Best Video Game of 2016 -- Paragon Chat!!!
Codewalker for Mayor of Paragon!

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2018, 04:58:10 AM »
Netflix has a stake in the series, so continuing it would give them profit.  I think they're leaning to a clean break and doing something else.

Hulu and other channels following suit with cancellations would be concerning to me.  Cost savings isn't the point, Marvel going in-house with distribution is not a good idea to me... the big mouse can't push their ethos into them and keep Marvel's edge.
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

HalcyonS

• Boss
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2018, 01:51:20 AM »
I'm guessing a lot of it is based on viewership and it sounds like both Luke Cage and Iron Fist saw a big drop in their second seasons.

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2018, 06:07:42 PM »
I'm guessing a lot of it is based on viewership and it sounds like both Luke Cage and Iron Fist saw a big drop in their second seasons.

Neither one was advertised very well. Both just popped up on my Netflix account suddenly, even though I follow all the Netflix shows on FB. In fact, DDS3 is the only one of the past season of each show that had a big push; quoting Bible verses every day leading up to the premiere and "letting the devil out."