Author Topic: Happy Winter Event!  (Read 4056 times)

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
Happy Winter Event!
« on: December 25, 2017, 03:34:43 AM »
Hey, it's that time again, huh?

I can't believe I'm not going to get even 1 FF slot for the first year since CoH went down..!

I've been wanting to play. Haven't though. I don't even just log on to log on. Not because of CO but because of STO.. There's just too damn many buttons to push in that game.. too much to do.. It's the Bizarro world CO..

That wasn't meant to be a cut on CO.. I didn't play CO because there was lots to do. I played it because it was fun. And then it wasn't fun. And then I found something else fun (a Star Trek game was the first PC game I ever bought..) and now... it keeps sucking me back in.. and beeping and flashing and flashing and beeping... there's always some button wanting attention! And tradeskill shelves to stock. And builds to imagine and plan and save for.

I always Want to play CO. There's just no time leftover after STO.. That, and CO broke the spell it had over me. I could have ran the same Alurts at least a few billion times more.. It wasn't getting old to me, at all. When people complained about lack of new content/endgame, I mostly didn't care. I was seeing how many seconds I could shave to run A Day at the Mall, from the last time I ran it.. and then retconning and re-running.. Things like this.. I just liked to play. Tweak my builds, try to come up with some new ones, and then see how they stacked up. That was all the content I needed. It was fun to just play the game as it was. Over and over and over and over again...  : ) every year I could run the existing content a little better, my costumes looked a smidge better.. Zone made me laugh. I saw familiar faces year after year. Good enough for me.

1 good thing about playing STO this past year, is... I have had a whole year of not having to convince 1 person I was having fun or playing a game that was fun... LOL.. *ahem* Man, how many times did I have to do that, here, in the Champs forum! Sheesh. "No really, the game is fun, I'm having fun playing it, I'm not kidding!" pretty well sums up at least half of my CO posts. It's nice to be playing a game no one hates me for liking.... lol..

Good Times  : )

Anyways.... Happy Winter Event, CO'ers!1! I'm still a CO'er, too. I just haven't had a breaking point in STO.. *shrug*.

Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

ZeeHero

• Minion
Re: Happy Winter Event!
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2017, 03:02:03 PM »
A lot of people want to like CO but can't just because of how bad CO turned out to be with no improvement in 8 years. I've seen some stupid arguments about CO like how "bad" the characters look compared to CoX (believe me, if you spend ten minutes figuring out the character creator they look way better) but most of the arguments are solid.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2017, 07:00:11 PM »
The 'improvements' are what drove me away!

I loved that game before it got overimproved.. I was at my height of luving it, even. That spell of immersion got broke.

I have a really crummy and overforgiving memory in my favor, though. So, I'm ready to play some more. There's just too much to do in STO.. I really really like that game.. Plus, it just has all kinds of compelling time sinks..lol
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Soul Resonance

• Boss
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 02:37:12 AM »
A lot of people want to like CO but can't just because of how bad CO turned out to be with no improvement in 8 years. I've seen some stupid arguments about CO like how "bad" the characters look compared to CoX (believe me, if you spend ten minutes figuring out the character creator they look way better) but most of the arguments are solid.
The faces are the worst things I've seen in any MMO, which is saying something. Otherwise it's pretty good.
50's: Necro/Dark, Fire x3 Dom, Plant/Savage Dom, Ice/Time Blaster, Arch/TA Blaster, SS/Elec Brute, Rad/Rad Def.

ZeeHero

• Minion
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 04:56:29 AM »
The -DEFAULT- faces.

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 01:30:47 PM »
The faces are the worst things I've seen in any MMO, which is saying something.
That's pretty much how I feel about STO.

Sorta forgot about the Winter Event until a few days ago.
aka Majadi | Sugar Cane | Absinthe | Killer Antz | Bogatyra | ...
Best Video Game of 2016 -- Paragon Chat!!!
Codewalker for Mayor of Paragon!

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2017, 08:44:08 PM »
I think I have like... 1 toon? with a normal human type face, and, after giving it some thought, it's pretty handsome. (hehe). But it seems like I remember some kind of challenge with human faces. The eyes? I forget..

Most of my toons are more far out, fantasy type, and have very cool faces.

STO faces are an acquired taste.. Their fantasy faces are better. Klingon, Orion, Andorian, Gorn, etc. Human faces become more acceptable over time. You know what? Actually, the character creator in STO is pretty under rated. I'm thinking more of the faces you see in the pop-up windows, in-game, that take time to get used to. I made what I thought was a pretty darn good Dr. Smith from Lost in Space and have had fun ....... choosing the correct look... for my Bridge Officers.

See now, this is one great thing about STO.. As a hetero male, hearing the following advice from players claiming to be the same - I don't get that whole 'I make female toons because I'd rather stare at a female toon instead of a male one' thing.. I tried it exactly once, years ago, after having the phenomenon explained to me by a long-time playing partner who .. converted (while playing CoH! I normally saw/met him in EverQuest) .. and I still feel dirty. Guys were hitting on me.. I wore a skirt or something like this.. I had... (boobs)... It was just all wrong... For me.

But in STO.... I can make an All Female Bridge crew! Wearing knee high leather boots.. and etc or whatever.. and I can stare at a female while staying as a guy, myself.

Best of both worlds.

Genius! Actually..

I steal most of my Boffs' looks from other Boffs, btw.. I just take the sexah'ier ones as I see them and save/re-use their costumes.. lol. This is another major problem I have with this playing a female, thing. I just can't dress properly as a woman.. even my electronic dollies. Some guys on the other hand have a Real talent for it. Just scary good with the butt/leg slider (in CO) and how to dress sexy, properly.

Umm..

anyway...

yeah!

Faces..

and stuff.

Some Faves:

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 04:43:01 AM »
The -DEFAULT- faces.
And the default bodies. And yes, you can adjust the settings to make your own characters look less like a bad action figure knockoff from the dollar store, but then there's still almost every single NPC in the game. To be honest i also didn't care much for the combat and character building mechanics either. i understand that there are a lot of people who like all those things, which is why CO continues to be so popular to this day, and that's cool even though it's not my cup of tea. Still, i keep hoping for a superhero game that allows you to create your own original heroes, has less goofy looking NPCs, and also plays more like CoH. Not that it has to play exactly the same by any means, but i find ESO to be more like CoH than CO.

One of these days i may give it yet another shot and make a new CO account to try it again to see if my feelings have changed. (2018 probably could be the year of that day.) Sadly my original CO account became oddly glitchy years ago around when PWE acquired the game, and then additional changes to their account system left me unable to log in at all, which sort of killed my motivation to try again for a long time.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2018, 04:00:19 AM »
And the default bodies. And yes, you can adjust the settings to make your own characters look less like a bad action figure knockoff from the dollar store, but then there's still almost every single NPC in the game. To be honest i also didn't care much for the combat and character building mechanics either. i understand that there are a lot of people who like all those things, which is why CO continues to be so popular to this day, and that's cool even though it's not my cup of tea. Still, i keep hoping for a superhero game that allows you to create your own original heroes, has less goofy looking NPCs, and also plays more like CoH. Not that it has to play exactly the same by any means, but i find ESO to be more like CoH than CO.

One of these days i may give it yet another shot and make a new CO account to try it again to see if my feelings have changed. (2018 probably could be the year of that day.) Sadly my original CO account became oddly glitchy years ago around when PWE acquired the game, and then additional changes to their account system left me unable to log in at all, which sort of killed my motivation to try again for a long time.

CO isn't that popular, you look at the zones and you can see there is very few players playing even during active times.

But your comment about ESO, it makes me ponder trying it out the next time I get the chance, if it's more comparable to CoH than CO, that says something.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2018, 04:36:43 PM »
Most I've ever seen are about 6-7 (maybe 8) full instanced MC zones. At 50 each, that's really not a lot compared to other games.

Plus there's really not a lot of social gaming.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 06:09:25 PM by MyriVerse »

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2018, 12:36:50 AM »
The stuff people are saying about how the graphics are in CO is totally their opinion. I personally found the comic book art form in CO very immersive, over time, and have no problem jumping right back into it to run some Alurts (which I almost never do, just saying..). I did have to get used to change.. There was something I changed in every toon, too... Arm length and something with the hands, I think. They were kinda apey to me as I remember, coming from CoH. So I shortened them up and lived happily ever after.

It's too bad they unlinked STO and CO Trade. When I was playing CO I remember STO'ers getting boo'd and hissed for trying to use the Trade channel but there are 2 Trade channels now. STOtrade, which is completely dead. And just plain Trade, which I can see but can't talk in.

I say stuff in Rampagers sometimes. It invokes tumbleweeds  : D

Hope everyone had a happy 'Winter Event'.. If j00 know what I mean. A happy whatever you do that time of year.

Some Faves:

lunawisp

• Minion
    • lunawisp - general gaming blog!
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2018, 10:48:09 PM »
I found CO ok, nowhere near good enough to replace CoH of course, but not a bad attempt at creating a superhero game. I bought a lifetime sub but haven't actually logged in for nearly two years now. The graphics were cartooney but that's the effect they were tying to achieve and it worked. Had a nice amazingly flexible costume designer.

I could never really get into STO at all. I didn't like the look of the characters, didn't like the combat and had no idea what I was supposed to be doing most of the time.
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes, she lives on in memory as my gaming id.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2018, 08:04:36 PM »

I could never really get into STO at all. I didn't like the look of the characters, didn't like the combat and had no idea what I was supposed to be doing most of the time.

That would ruin it for me!
Some Faves:

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2018, 08:34:56 PM »
I had every idea what I was supposed to be doing, but I still couldn't be arsed. Agreed about the look of the characters. And I hate hate hate hate HATE space combat. I got my character to 10th level so she could hit Risa, and she's still there chillin' on the beach.

I hope Starfleet doesn't arrest you for going AWOL. I wonder what the crew of my ship thinks. They've been parked in orbit for about a year now.

Come to think of it, arrest her for going AWOL. I'm pretty sure being in a Starfleet prison might be more fun.

lunawisp

• Minion
    • lunawisp - general gaming blog!
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2018, 11:01:53 AM »
Amazingly for a space combat game it was impossible to do barrel rolls, fly upside down, etc. probably a limitation of the engine they were using but it did make combat a bit of a pain and took away a lot of the immersion.
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes, she lives on in memory as my gaming id.

Castegyre

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2018, 06:15:46 PM »
I tried to log in to CO again a little while ago. I just couldn't motivate myself to do anything. I have a love/hate thing with STO. It isn't a game you can really half-*** and I don't feel like putting that much effort into it. I do have about 14k z stored up, though, so maybe I'll just go shopping.

EDITED CUZ I R DUM
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 05:16:02 PM by Castegyre »

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2018, 04:27:06 PM »
Yeah. For me, there's not much motivation once I hit 40 in CO. The whole Z shopping thing doesn't really interest me much.

But sometimes I just want to pound on stuff.  ;D