Author Topic: The Last Jedi (Possible Spoilers)  (Read 11928 times)

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
Re: The Last Jedi (Possible Spoilers)
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2018, 04:04:45 AM »
Depends on the emotion they showed while doing it.  If they acted like a raging screamo child while doing it, then likely yes.

If he's going to show that he's grown, then what better place than the climactic moment when he's confronted with the looming shadow of his childhood?  The perfect place to show that maybe the earlier bid for freedom from Snoke was more than just a spur of the moment thing.  As it was, that moment seemed more to me like a laser focussed "save the girl because of twisted love" kinda thing and there was no growth.  He remains a damaged child, and he showed that when confronted by Luke.

I would say that this is not the perfect moment to show growth: it would be the perfect moment to show he had conquered his past.  That he was no longer ruled by his past.  But that's the conclusion to growth, not growth.  It would show that he had grown, not that he was growing.  If this was intended to be the middle of his path, there should be clear indications that he is better than where he started, but still had a long way to go.  If you show him in control in this climatic moment, I don't see the good place to show the counter-point, that there were still much greater hurdles to overcome as part of his growth path.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2018, 05:34:33 AM »
No longer being ruled by his past wouldn't necessarily be the conclusion of his proposed growth, just the conclusion of that growth contained within his arc in TLJ.  After all, he still needs to become a proper villain in the next movie.  Conquering his past in that climactic moment would've made for a proper end and beginning. 
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2018, 08:13:06 PM »
You guys have put more effort into thinking about this movie than the people that made it.

LateNights

• Elite Boss
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2018, 07:33:11 AM »

The Force Awakens is not the greatest Star Wars movie, but I find myself hoping that he somehow fixes Star Wars by doing to Rian Johnson what Rian Johnson did to him: give TLJ the middle finger and ignore it completely when making the next film.  I would literally not feel bad if at the start of Episode Nine we discover that Episode Eight was a bedtime story told to a child by a resistance fighter with a head injury that messes with his memory.

I'm gonna know straight away whats happened if news breaks of this guys untimely passing!!

;D
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 05:30:58 AM by LateNights »

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2018, 01:15:48 PM »
You guys have put more effort into thinking about this movie than the people that made it.

I think that's safe to say for just about any movie or tv show.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2018, 02:32:30 AM »

For a good movie, that is hopefully true.  For a bad movie, that is unfortunately true.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2018, 06:22:13 AM »
Was in Sam's today and they had the Bluray menu up on all their TVs. Started laughing when I saw the audio commentary option. Has the potential to be the funniest alternate track since Brad Neely's Wizard People.

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2018, 04:22:41 AM »
Picked it up yesterday at Best Buy. Still just as underwhelmed as when I left the theater. It's got its good parts, but still just doesn't fill me with the same joy as 1-6 do. I'm not holding my breath on Ep. 9 being much better.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2018, 05:23:39 AM »
Picked it up yesterday at Best Buy. Still just as underwhelmed as when I left the theater. It's got its good parts, but still just doesn't fill me with the same joy as 1-6 do. I'm not holding my breath on Ep. 9 being much better.

I got a ghost of joy from 7, which was more than I got from 1-3.  I'd rank 8 above 1.  Darth Crybaby is slightly less annoying than Yippee kid.  If not for the performance of the guy playing young Kenobi, I'd probably write off the prequels entirely. 
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Mandu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2018, 11:05:57 AM »
I've been underwhelmed by the new movies so I didn't even see this one in the theater. I'll probably see it when I can pick up the Disney code from the blu-ray for $10 or less.  So maybe within six months.

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2018, 06:11:30 PM »
Young Anakin never bothered me. He's 9...I know I was pretty annoying as a 9 year old. I'm sure most people were. The only things that really bother me with the prequels is some of the dialogue in 2 and 3 is really cringy, and now that we have Blu-ray and 4K TVs it's super obvious where the green screen was used (which was everywhere).

And of course Jar Jar, but after TPM he's not really involved enough to bother me too much. I always skip his episodes when watching TCW.

I just don't much care for any of the characters that aren't Luke, Leia, Han, Chewie or the droids. BB-8's cool. Finn was building up to be cool, but his arc with Rose just killed it for me. Everyone else is "meh" with a serious dislike for Not-Vader.

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2018, 02:10:55 PM »
Was in Sam's today and they had the Bluray menu up on all their TVs. Started laughing when I saw the audio commentary option. Has the potential to be the funniest alternate track since Brad Neely's Wizard People.

If you can find the first release of Michael Nesmith's Elephant Parts, that sets the standards for hilarious commentary.  Except for one brief, hilarious, moment, the commentary has literally nothing to do with the video.

Unfortunately, he re-recorded a "real" commentary for subsequent re-releases.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2018, 05:17:29 PM »
If you can find the first release of Michael Nesmith's Elephant Parts, that sets the standards for hilarious commentary.  Except for one brief, hilarious, moment, the commentary has literally nothing to do with the video.

Unfortunately, he re-recorded a "real" commentary for subsequent re-releases.

I have been a Monkees / Nesmith fan since the 60's.

If you ever saw his 'Television Parts' series there are many short skits by people who were just starting out their career - Whoopi Goldberg, Jay Leno, Gary Shandling and a lot more.

Even on his commentaries on the few Monkees episodes he did for the DVD sets he barely talks about the episode.
The only one her talks about the actual thing you are watching is "HEAD" on Blu ray