Author Topic: Day Jobs?  (Read 5411 times)

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
  • Brax on Discord. Play on Homecoming/Torchbearer
Day Jobs?
« on: November 05, 2017, 06:48:56 PM »
Not sure if this has ever been addressed, but are Day Jobs even a possibility?  I used to really enjoy keeping my inactive characters in the mix, even if I wasn't actually playing them.
What was no more, is now reborn!

themamboman

• Lieutenant
Re: Day Jobs?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 07:56:22 PM »
Don't think so, but maybe that would be an easy way to get more badges (total badge addict here).

slickriptide

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 08:03:01 AM »
What purpose do you see day jobs serving? Even when there was an actual game the devs barely justified the existence of "day jobs". How do you envision a day job working in the current environment?

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 03:41:27 PM »
The only purpose they served when the game was live.  Giving us a reason to login inactive characters, who could still accumulate badges when not actually being played.  Given the overall scheme of Paragon chat, there is not a whole lot you can accomplish anyway.  So, if we come across something that is not too difficult to implement, but gives us something to do, that in-turn results in a reward of sorts...why not?

slickriptide

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 06:21:00 PM »
Well, that's what I'm asking - How do you envision day jobs working in an environment where there's no game? What are your expectations? What are the rewards you want your "day job" to give you, if XP and powers and loot are all meaningless except maybe in the context of special events like Halloween or New Year? Does it make sense to earn a badge for NOT using Paragon Chat for X days or months?

In City of Heroes, day jobs made sense to the extent that they enhanced your regular game slightly. So slightly, that even the devs at the time weren't really sure that implementing them was a good idea in the first place. Mostly, day jobs were an acknowledgement that most players had lots of alts and the day job gave those alts some value even when they weren't being actively played.

Is there a reason to acknowledge people having lots of Paragon Chat alts? Do people even keep lots of alts in Paragon Chat?

Don't get me wrong here. I'm not challenging your desire to have a day job or saying it should not be done. I'm asking what your expectations are, specifically, as opposed to something vague like "just like CoH", because "just like CoH" doesn't make a lot of sense in an environment that only resembles CoH visually.

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 09:07:07 PM »
I think, given the limited scope of what IS possible in Paragon Chat, Day Jobs fit into that realm of possibility.  So, it's potentially do-able. 

As for my expectations.  Just a badge, or in this case, badges.  Nothing more.  I was happy when exploration badges became available, and this would just be an extension of that process.  So far, I have collected over 100 exploration badges, and while it might not be the most exciting thing to do (in comparison to the real game), it gives me just a little more of a feel like the real game.  Something I used to do on occasion, that I can do once again after so long.  I am not expecting perks, or gifts, or any kind of reward for doing it, outside of the badge.  That is where my expectations end.  As sentimental/nostalgic indulgences go, this is my favorite, and it just keeps getting better with every new feature.

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 10:05:26 PM »
Is there a reason to acknowledge people having lots of Paragon Chat alts? Do people even keep lots of alts in Paragon Chat?
Hello, I'm an altaholic. I'd introduce myself, by I can't remember who I am anymore.

Seriously, PChat is an altaholic's dream.
aka Majadi | Sugar Cane | Absinthe | Killer Antz | Bogatyra | ...
Best Video Game of 2016 -- Paragon Chat!!!
Codewalker for Mayor of Paragon!

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2017, 01:17:18 AM »
Yeah, I actually re-created most of my mains (15 of them anyway, though there were more), at a time when it sounded like the game might actually return.  This gave me the ability to save their costume, and power config files, so that if that wonderful day ever arrived, I could be up, and running with any/all of them in a very short time.  So, most of them go un-played in PChat, save one.  They are mainly there as placeholders...just in case. 

So, if Day Jobs were added to PChat, all of them would actually have something to do, other than be place holders.  Granted, just a matter of logging in with each of them weekly, and moving them, but they would be earning badges that cannot be earned any other way.  To me, that plenty good enough.  :)