Author Topic: Desktop widgets  (Read 27994 times)

hazey

• Underling
Re: Desktop widgets
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2008, 06:26:22 AM »
I have tried to download your lovely widget but all I get is this............

An invalid character was found in text content. Error processing resource 'http://www.skoroworld.com/~chrish/widgets/CoH%20...

wdgt

elp!!

Ex-calibur

• Lieutenant
    • Taffer's Realm
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2008, 05:52:25 PM »
I have tried to download your lovely widget but all I get is this............

An invalid character was found in text content. Error processing resource 'http://www.skoroworld.com/~chrish/widgets/CoH%20...

wdgt

elp!!
Works fine for me... I just downloaded all three from my office to test.  Try again?

I just tried with Internet Explorer 7... it is, of course, broken.  Right-click and choose Save As instead of just clicking.  You'll also have to rename the file from .xml to .widget after IE is done downloading it.  That's two different IE7 bugs, if you're keeping track. :-\

I'll update the web page to remind people to right-click/Save As... on the files.
- @Ex-calibur

hazey

• Underling
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2008, 05:59:37 AM »
Got it now, it looks very neat thank you

Lt Australia

• Underling
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2008, 08:48:17 PM »
Just how complex is the source code. I am using Linux and both Gnome and KDE now have widgets.

Would be nice to see if i can port to these enviroments. (I am not a coder, but it could be easy to add a wrapper around your app)

Darryl

Ex-calibur

• Lieutenant
    • Taffer's Realm
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2008, 09:37:45 PM »
It's pretty simple JavaScript/AJAX; the hardest part of porting them to another widget platform is the UI bits (assuming your widget platform can do XMLHttpRequest() and uses JavaScript).  They're using XPath, too... it's built into Yahoo! Widget Engine and it's so very convenient...

I'd have them ported to Apple's Dashboard (for example) already, but I'm having trouble with the GUI bits (mostly because I haven't had time to concentrate on it for more than bout 15 minutes at a go).

Yahoo! widget bundles are just zip files named *.widget, go ahead and unzip them to see the scripts and whatnot inside.
- @Ex-calibur

Snorii

• Underling
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2009, 07:46:28 PM »
Cool, I'll have to go check this out when I get home. 

Fleeting Whisper

• Elite Boss
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2009, 02:54:12 AM »
As for Vista, I've actually got a Vista image installed in Virtual PC at work now, I just have to figure out how to make widgets for its sidebar.  ;)
I worked on a Vista server monitor a while ago.
download

Originally, Kitsune on the official forums made it. But it was ugly, and didn't work 100%. I made some changes to it, and made it prettier, though I stopped working on it before I fixed everything. To my knowledge, the only problem with the current version is that if you lose your internet connection, the gadget is unable to re-establish the connection.

After installing, you should have a new folder:
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Sidebar\Gadgets\CoXServerMonitor.gadget\

gadget.xml: Gadget specification
Monitor.html: Gadget display (specified in gadget.xml, in the <base> tag)
ServerMonitor.js: JavaScript to pull information

You can use System.Gadget in the JavaScript for additional functionality, such as options settings (System.Gadget.settingsUI), or flyout windows (System.Gadget.Flyout.file)

xDCx

• Underling
  • My Global: x DC x Server: Freedom Interest: PVP
« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2009, 06:17:46 AM »
This might sound dumb. But im new to the whole widget's thing. What exactly are these widget's used for? And when i try to download it, I cant get it to install. It save's the file, but does not let me run the setup or even get it into my yahoo widget's. Please if anyone has any idea's let me know.