Author Topic: Spiderman: Homecoming  (Read 4462 times)

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
Spiderman: Homecoming
« on: July 10, 2017, 02:37:36 AM »
Spiderman Homecoming no spoiler review

9.0 out of 10

The good:

- It is a fresh take on Spiderman.  For all that some didn't care for the Andrew Garfield Spiderman in the first reboot, I actually didn't mind him all that much.  But I did agree with the common complaint that those movies were a reboot no one asked for.  Those movies were starting in the hole in terms of being a reboot of a movie series that was still fresh in people's minds.  So the MCU reboot of Spiderman should have been operating in an even larger hole: a second reboot in ten years.  But the movie doesn't feel like a tired retread.  It doesn't rehash Spiderman's origin.  It doesn't parade Uncle Ben's death on screen.  And it focuses on the high school experience of Peter Parker in a way that felt reminiscent of the early comics and in a way all the previous movies seemed to mostly avoid.  At no time was I telling myself "I've seen this before" and that's a really important thing for a movie about a comic book character that has had five movies in fifteen years starring the character.

- It expands the MCU in style and substance.  Critics have been saying the Marvel movies are all the same, and audiences will get tired of them, since about Iron Man 3.  And then we got Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Ant-Man in succession.  In my opinion, Marvel has done an excellent job of making each MCU movie unbeholden to the traditional superhero genre: Winter Soldier is a spy thriller, Guardians is a space adventure, Ant-Man is a heist movie.  Spiderman Homecoming is a teen comedy/drama.  It even directly references Ferris Bueller's Day Off (twice, if you are paying attention).  Although Tony Stark and Iron Man are in the film, the movie isn't about Iron Man.  It is really about growing up, and learning who you really are inside.  In the comic books Peter Parker was always portrayed as someone that was just like any other teenager, with the same problems as any other teenager, who also had this other part of his life that he had to learn to balance.  The superpowers make it an MCU movie, but Peter could have easily fit into the Breakfast Club.

And yes, I recognize this was a Sony (Columbia) movie.  But I'm giving full credit to Marvel Studios for this one, because it so very obviously has the fingerprints of Marvel Studios all over it.

- The villain is great.  A common complaint about Marvel movies is the villain is often the weak part of the movie.  Spiderman Homecoming does not have that problem.  Michael Keaton plays a nuanced, understandable, relatable, and yet viscerally evil villain.  Keaton delivers a performance that rivals if not exceeds Alfred Molina's DocOc.  I can't say much without spoilers, but Keaton made the Vulture a bad ass, and that's amazing.

- Ned.  Having Peter have a friend like Ned was very important in my opinion.  It gave him a confidant, an ally, someone who was looking out for him, and someone who would anchor him to "real life."  One problem with both the Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield incarnations is that they were, except for love interests, loners.  That made them too introverted, too represeed, and a bit too unrelatable.  Having friends, and a best friend in particular that knows he is Spiderman (no spoiler, that was given away in the trailers lots of times) creates an important dynamic where Peter cannot turn too inward when dealing with the heavy problems he has.  There is always an element of tragedy and responsibility and pressure around the character of Spiderman: he often feels like he has the weight of the world on his shoulders.  This makes him too emo in the Garfield movies and borderline psychotic in the Maguire movies.  In homecoming, it just makes him every other teenager that thinks they have the world's worst problems.  Ned keeps him human.

The bad:

- Honestly, anything I say here would be nitpicking.  The pacing could have been a little better?  That's almost always true.  I wish the character of Liz was a bit more fleshed out.  She is a little underutilized.

The just plain weird:

- Is there a heterosexual male in New York that doesn't have the hots for Aunt May?

Overall:

In my opinion, if this isn't the best Spiderman movie it felt like the best rendition of the Spiderman I grew up with.  I was worried about Tony Stark being added to the backstory of Spiderman, but in Homecoming the story isn't about Spiderman being mentored by Stark, it is about him realizing that he needs to find his own way.  And that doesn't take anything away from the character of Spiderman.  And it is a sneaky origin story without being a direct origin story.  Instead of telling the story about how Peter Parker got spider-powers, it tells the story of how Peter Parker grows from being "the spider-man" to being Spider-Man.  It folds becoming Spiderman into a part of Peter Parker starting to grow up and figure out who he is and who he will become, like every coming of age story.

Oh yeah, and there are two post credits scenes.  Make sure you stay to the very, very end.  Have patience.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
Re: Spiderman: Homecoming
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 05:50:53 PM »
This is yet another example of how to do a shared movie universe.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 09:05:33 PM »
This is yet another example of how to do a shared movie universe.

It will be interesting to see how they continue to manage Spiderman moving forward.  He feels like he exists in between the Netflix series and the MCU movies in terms of the scale and scope of the kinds of challenges Spiderman faces.  Because Marvel wants to keep separation between their TV series and their movies, Spiderman could eventually be the opening to create other "street level" Avengers heroes and movies.  Right now, it seems like Marvel is going to use Spiderman to anchor phase four of the MCU, which is also very interesting.  In the comics, Spiderman was often the "conscience" of the superheroes, as much as Captain America was its leader.

I could see the day when the MCU splits up into a "cosmic" universe with Thor and Guardians and the like, a "street level" universe with characters like Spiderman, and a middle ground Avengers-level universe with the likes of Iron Man and Black Panther, with occasional cross pollination between them.

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 01:29:08 PM »
My biggest complaint is that there was TOO MUCH "shared universe."

I mean, really... Did Spider-Man need a cyber-suit?  Seriously?  I absolutely loathed the suit.

I also didn't care for the whole "report in to Happy all the time" thing.

Other than those nitpicks, it was a great movie.

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 09:54:12 AM »
The only thing I didn't like was how long the movie was. I felt like there was a good 30 minutes that could have been cut out.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 10:42:35 AM »
My biggest complaint is that there was TOO MUCH "shared universe."

I mean, really... Did Spider-Man need a cyber-suit?  Seriously?  I absolutely loathed the suit.

I also didn't care for the whole "report in to Happy all the time" thing.

Other than those nitpicks, it was a great movie.

At least it's not the bizarre three armed Iron Spidey suit.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 01:52:03 PM »
At least it's not the bizarre three armed Iron Spidey suit.

I wouldn't even have gone to see the movie, if it had been.

Also... So, I guess Keaton is typecast as playing bird-men (or flying rodents) now?  Ha Ha Ha!  (Also, also... he was GREAT, as usual, in this.  Best part of the movie.  And, if you've never seen Birdman, go rent it NOW!  He is spectacular in that one!) 

Valtyr

• Finder of Lost CatGrrls
  • Boss
  • Not From Around Here
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2017, 03:58:58 PM »
Welp, you said p much everything I thought of saying.

Definitely agree and enjoy how this movie was more of an introduction than an origin. Also noticeably absent was the power/responsibility mantra - though we got a real good one in Civil War.

I wish we could have gotten less Tony Stark. He's just a terrible mentor. The big drama surrounding the Ferry could have been avoided with some better communication. But, that's Tony, right? Tony's gonna Tone. Or something.

And the Vulture is just about the most well integrated villain in the MCU. Great performance by Keaton.

Oh yeah, and there are two post credits scenes.  Make sure you stay to the very, very end.  Have patience.

:o

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2017, 04:30:46 PM »
Patience is an underrated virtue.  8)
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Excidia

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2017, 12:26:37 AM »
But sometimes the wait just doesn't feel worth it
You don't ever leave someone FOR dead.  You leave them DEAD.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2017, 05:03:38 AM »
I wish we could have gotten less Tony Stark. He's just a terrible mentor.

I think that was the point.  The trailers made it seem like the movie was going to be about Tony mentoring Peter on how to become a better Spiderman, but in actual fact although I felt there was real heart behind Tony's involvement with Peter, he sucks at it.  The movie is not about Tony mentoring Peter.  The movie is about Peter dealing with his own hero worship of Tony, and how he had to grow past it.  Tony isn't a mentor, he is actually a mild form of antagonist for Peter.

I think that's what saves Tony's involvement in the story.  He's another obstacle for Peter to overcome.  The focus is always on Peter.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2017, 05:07:56 AM »
Also... So, I guess Keaton is typecast as playing bird-men (or flying rodents) now?  Ha Ha Ha!  (Also, also... he was GREAT, as usual, in this.  Best part of the movie.  And, if you've never seen Birdman, go rent it NOW!  He is spectacular in that one!)

This is one of the greatest metas in Hollywood.  From Batman to Birdman to Vulture, you can't write this stuff.

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2017, 05:46:22 AM »
I finally got a chance to see Spider-Man and I loved it! I actually loved Vulture's character more than anyone else. I didn't like Zendaya's character. She was weird and I didn't understand why she was there at all. I also didn't like
Spoiler for Hidden:
When everyone was flirting with the new Aunt May. It was an awesome reveal on Civil War but, on this movie I'm like "Ok, she's beautiful... stop flirting with her, it's getting old and annoying." I'm surprised to see Pepper Potts return. I thought that was deal breaker.
Tony Stark is a douchebag.

Can somebody explain the second end credit scene. I didn't understand it.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 06:00:10 PM by Dev7on »

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2017, 05:26:07 PM »

I interpreted it as Marvel's way of sticking their collective tongues out at everyone who, after 16 movies, expects there to be something important at the end.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2017, 06:49:21 PM »

The 1st Guardians of The Galaxy end scene I feel did the same thing. 

Spoiler for Hidden:
But Ferris Bueller had the best end credit scene, after all...

"You're still here?  It's over...  Go home!  ...Go!"

And I imagine Chris Evans enjoyed the hell out of shooting it.
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2017, 05:20:29 PM »
Marvel REALLY needs to make a deal with FOX for the Fantastic Four like they did with Spidey.

It's sad when the Roger Corman unreleased film is probably the best live action FF.

If Marvel Films could do with the FF what they did her with Spiderman, would be great.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2017, 01:24:00 AM »

Minor spoiler:

Spoiler for Hidden:
It is a meta call-out to Ferris Bueller's Day Off, which had a similar post-credits scene.  It is also a meta-meta reference to people speculating on how many more Marvel movies Chris Evans is going to appear in.  They are basically yanking the audience's chain twice with the same scene.

ryuplaneswalker

• New Efforts # 17,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2017, 12:14:36 AM »
I saw it and I loved it.

The Vulture was fantastic.

Spoiler for Hidden:
The scene with Him and Peter in the car was legit the best thing in the entire movie. It is an example of everything this movie does right and everything that spider man should be. Spiderman is an everyman hero and one of the scariest things for a young man is "Meeting the Parents." The prom scene takes that anxiety and ramps it up by about a billion.

As to the Iron Spider stuff.

Spoiler for Hidden:
It was a bit much when we got the "Kill mode." and the talking voice assistant, and the drone, but there are concepts on it that I liked. Such as the Web Shooter's having a bunch of different modes. I can understand why people don't like the idea of Spiderman having any sort of advanced tech but I like the options it opens up combat wise, it means in the sequels we can have more varied fights where Spiderman uses different modes.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2017, 08:06:38 PM »
Finally saw it.  The Spidey stuff was great, and the Vulture was awesome.  But a good portion of the Peter Parker stuff either dragged on or was awkwardly awful.  The party was a particular low point.  I didn't like Ned.  I liked Michelle as a character, but at the end I didn't like that it was "Michelle".

And good gravy what is it with Audi and Marvel?
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.