Author Topic: Magic the Gathering MMO  (Read 2796 times)

FlyingCarcass

• Elite Boss
Magic the Gathering MMO
« on: June 13, 2017, 03:43:51 PM »
So apparently a MMO set in the Magic the Gathering worlds is going to be made. Could be cool. I bring it up since they've tapped Cryptic Studios to make it.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-digital/magic-digital-next-update-2017-06-13
(Of course they also announced Magic Duels is being sent into maintenance mode, just after I completed my MD card collection. >.<  )

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
Re: Magic the Gathering MMO
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 04:22:18 PM »
Cryptic, get out of my head!

They have excellent taste in genre's. My opinion is completely biased and my own.

I haven't played Magic in years and was never all that great at it but.. it's Magic. One of the greatest card games of all time. Very high cool factor. I was working at a place that sold Magic card packs when Magic was new and people were buying cases of them and never opening them and then eventually reselling them for exponentially more.

I bet they have a LTS sale at launch. Seems like a player's always bragging about the one they got in on in their other games.
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Exxar

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 04:25:01 PM »
Or they won't be running any sub at all like in Neverwinter. 0% interest in the game if that will be the case.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 07:48:26 PM »
Honestly, they need to work on the games that are out now. One is still in shambles, one is on shaky ground, and the third, last I heard needed a lot of work on it.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 04:50:24 AM »
Honestly, they need to work on the games that are out now. One is still in shambles, one is on shaky ground, and the third, last I heard needed a lot of work on it.

It's about who's backing it.  Neverwinter and Star Trek Online have parents funding them (Hasbro, CBS Studios).  Champions Online is 100% Cryptic, and not likely to get a cash infusion anytime soon unless the IP takes off in some other way.

All this means is they're doubling down on Hasbro money. 

Or they won't be running any sub at all like in Neverwinter. 0% interest in the game if that will be the case.

Neverwinter has a VIP system that behaves like a subscription from what I understood.  Spend a monthly tithing of Zen, get benefits.  Stop, the benefits go away and return once you renew.
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Castegyre

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 09:43:26 AM »
I remember when they first started releasing the books thinking this would make a great MUD. I think I had sold all of my cards off before the 90s were even over, but I kept several of the novels for years after that.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 06:30:45 PM »

Well it'll just be one more game I avoid :/.  Admittedly though champions online has a scrub as it's only developer who just wants everyone to play only beast supernatural.  And make every power set identical to it.  I don't even know why they even bother with it.  They should can her.  They should have canned her even before hiring her as a developer, when she was still a community manager.  The only good community manager CO ever had was trailturtle.

I just, wouldn't even trust cryptic at this point anymore.  To far minimalists.  Heck I think Jack left cause the company was becoming the way it was under Perfect World Entertainment.  So he left for Daybreak, and I respect his decision.  At least Daybreak tried to get creative with everquest next before that game was canceled :/.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2017, 08:20:33 PM »
I remember when they first started releasing the books thinking this would make a great MUD. I think I had sold all of my cards off before the 90s were even over, but I kept several of the novels for years after that.

That's the thing.. Re-creating Magic's Magic is no small task and it's been tried before. Kinda a gamble on their (Cryptic's) part.

Take me, as an avid MMO player and Magic appreciator, for example. I think the Idea is great, I think Magic is great, I cheer Cryptic's taste in games, but, I have no real interest to play.

Good Luck, is what I wish'em. I've had a lot of fun since CoH shutdown (and I was left wandering in the cyberwoods) thanks to these guys.
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>