Author Topic: Wonder-Woman  (Read 12087 times)

doc7924

• Elite Boss
Re: Wonder-Woman
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2017, 03:21:04 PM »
Finally got around to watching this.

Great film though I couldn't help noticing how much like the first Cap film this is.

Both starts in modern day and then goes to the past to show their origins / training.

Both involve a world war where scientists are making high tech weapons.

Both characters have their beginnings way in the past and the films were released right before the big team film from each company.

She has a shield and blocks bullets like Cap - though she is more of a cross between Captain America and the Hulk.

The scene in WW where she goes alone to cross No Man's Land to rescue the village reminded me so much like the scene where Cap goes alone to rescue the captured soldiers.

Not to say its not a great film, just seems like I saw it already.

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2017, 05:29:44 PM »
You focus too much on the surface-level comic tropes and miss the deeper philosophic message that Cap didn't have. Cap was a pretty run-of-the-mill popcorn action flick. WW strived for more.
aka Majadi | Sugar Cane | Absinthe | Killer Antz | Bogatyra | ...
Best Video Game of 2016 -- Paragon Chat!!!
Codewalker for Mayor of Paragon!

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2017, 08:27:22 PM »
You focus too much on the surface-level comic tropes and miss the deeper philosophic message that Cap didn't have. Cap was a pretty run-of-the-mill popcorn action flick. WW strived for more.

Oh I know that. WW had a lot more to it. I was just noticing how the basic overlying plot seemed similar to the Cap film.

I enjoyed Cap but WW was a much better film overall.

themichigami

• Underling
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2017, 03:43:29 AM »
Up until that I never even thought about the fact that both Bruce and Clark's mother were Martha.

I knew they both were named Martha , but never thought -  "Hey, Batman and Superman's mom have the same name." (not counting the 4 or 5 imaginary tales where they actually are brothers)

funnily enough my mom's name is actually Martha, it was apparently a really popular name for girls around that time when the books were being written for a few decades, it didn't start to wane in popularity until giving kids biblical names began to fall out of fashion in the 60's and 70's.

also that entire "martha fight" scene in the movie made me want to find whoever was responsible for that garbage making it to the screen and smack them with a rolled-up newspaper, preferably a nice big sunday edition for added sense-knocking-into ability.  just... so painful, most of that movie was painful.  The most enjoyment i had watching it was NOT watching it because the DVD was full of shiny extras and people stunt driving the batmobile, if they had just cut every other character and had someone driving the batmobile around town with sunsets and beauty shots and gunning it around curves on test tracks, THAT i would have given them the ticket price for. 
so shiny.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 03:55:30 AM by themichigami »

AmberOfDzu

• Boss
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2017, 12:19:10 PM »
funnily enough my mom's name is actually Martha, it was apparently a really popular name for girls around that time when the books were being written for a few decades, it didn't start to wane in popularity until giving kids biblical names began to fall out of fashion in the 60's and 70's.
The Social Security Administration has a web site where you can look up name popularity by year/decade in the US. https://www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/index.html

From that, we can see that the name "Martha" was #28 in 1900, was steady in the high 20's - low 30's until about 1950, and then went down to #224 in 1990, and to #698 in 2010.

themichigami

• Underling
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2017, 05:32:56 PM »
that is really cool to find out, now i can go see if my theory about my name becoming increasingly popular around when i was born because of a certain Beatles song is possibly true.  yay research!

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2017, 07:18:34 PM »
that is really cool to find out, now i can go see if my theory about my name becoming increasingly popular around when i was born because of a certain Beatles song is possibly true.  yay research!

"The Walrus" is a great name for any era.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2017, 08:01:29 PM »
"The Walrus" is a great name for any era.

Is that the archnemesis of Nowhere Man?
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.