Author Topic: Dirk Gently  (Read 947 times)

Vee

• Elite Boss
Dirk Gently
« on: March 24, 2017, 10:11:45 AM »
Just finished first season (8 eps) of the new BBC America Dirk Gently series. Was good, captured the spirit of the books (though of course without the trademark Adams turn-of-phrase) very well with an original story and new characters. I didn't even mind Elijah Wood. Aaron Douglas (the tubby mechanic from the BSG reboot) steals it though.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
Re: Dirk Gently
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 10:29:56 AM »
I liked the Dirk Gently series with Stephen Mangan, but I gather you're talking about the slightly more recent Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency series which I had forgotten was even a thing.  Now I'll have to keep an eye out for it on my streaming services.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 11:17:20 AM »
Yes, the one from Oct-Dec 2016. Strangely enough I wasn't aware of the one you've seen until I was trying to find this one. It's in the queue but haven't gotten around to it yet. Glad to hear it's good.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 11:52:00 AM »
Just to be clear: I never claimed it was good, I just said I liked it. ;) I seem to recall it was getting mixed reactions at the time.  I thought it captured Dirk's character pretty well, as well as some of the absurdity that surrounds him.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.