Author Topic: Iron Fist...  (Read 5536 times)

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
Iron Fist...
« on: March 17, 2017, 09:38:35 AM »
Just finished the first episode.  A somewhat slow start, but I enjoyed it... except for the music.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Vee

• Elite Boss
Re: Iron Fist...
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 06:46:28 PM »
Sigh, just when I was starting to make a dent in the queue.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 09:08:07 PM »
Tom Pelphrey is very good at playing a detestable, weaselly slime whose comeuppance is a thing to be yearned for.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 06:03:17 AM »
I like it through 4 eps. Well acted and written as per usual with these, though some of the fight choreography is pretty bad. I shouldn't be able to see a kick miss by a foot at double speed.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 07:53:31 AM »
Didn't catch that one myself at normal speed, but I did note that the fights have occasionally looked a bit clumsy, and a few sequences were a little too slow and deliberate.  Not bad enough to put me off a series, but I wouldn't accept it in an Iron Fist movie.

Mandu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 05:06:34 PM »
Only through episode 3 so far but I'm liking it.  Yes the fight choreography should be better considering he is supposed to be the worlds greatest martial artist and yet the Daredevil fights far surpass anything on this show.

The one thing I really dislike is that Danny has absolutely zero situational awareness, or for that matter awareness at all.  He could have been in New York during the invasion and wouldn't have noticed the giant mechanical serpents flying overhead until somebody pointed them out to him.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 08:23:28 PM »
The one thing I really dislike is that Danny has absolutely zero situational awareness, or for that matter awareness at all.  He could have been in New York during the invasion and wouldn't have noticed the giant mechanical serpents flying overhead until somebody pointed them out to him.

Pretty standard for hippies.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 06:58:18 AM »
Spoiler for Hidden:
Strangling a guy rather than making him hear you sing the high note in karaoke a-ha. Who says the hand can't be merciful?

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 07:26:47 AM »
That guy singing Take On Me was one of the most tolerable bits of lyrical music so far, though...

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2017, 07:58:49 AM »
Andre 3000 at 2x speed is something to experience, and since that was the first few minutes of ep 1 it could only go downhill for me from there :P

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 07:40:21 AM »
And done. Liked it a lot overall, though like all of the netflix ones so far there are definitely better and worse parts. This one felt better in the middle than beginning or end to me. Still even the weaker episodes of these are light years beyond any of the superhero stuff on the broadcast channels.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 03:22:58 PM »
Definitely better than 'Dawn of Justice'.  Then again, almost anything would be better.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2017, 12:24:08 AM »
Good differentiation from the other Netflix heroes, although the tone is a bit uneven. I really enjoyed it overall. 
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

Mandu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2017, 02:03:15 AM »
Still not quite finished yet but it has the same weakness as Luke Cage but to a greater extent.  No real villain.  After Fisk and Kilgrave their villains are just plain boring.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2017, 02:23:20 AM »
I think the Hand has presented decent villains in both Gao and Bakuto.  The Meachums have also been interesting.  And then there's potentially Davos.  If anything, there are too many good antagonists and associated plots.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2017, 09:09:57 PM »
Just finished it this morning and the ending was unsatisfying. Joy really seems like an idiot by the end.  Danny never even gets a mask or even loses the beard.  There's a lot left hanging with little to no real resolution.  It feels like half a season.

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2017, 09:54:16 AM »
I've only seen the first episode, but it doesn't seem too bad. It has my attention better than anything on TV right now.

Nos482

• Elite Boss
  • We've gone and done the greatest crime...
    • My PSN profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2017, 10:20:34 AM »
 >:(
Spoiler for Hidden:
I'm bad and that's good.
I'll never be good and that's not bad.
There's no one I'd rather be than me.

...unless I could be Batman, of course. Everybody wants to be Batman.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2017, 10:41:35 AM »

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2017, 02:06:47 AM »
Finished it.

Not horrible, but not the best either. Figured out who the big bad would be in the finale pretty much from his first appearance.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2017, 01:17:22 AM »
Just finished it.  Have to say, I wasn't a fan.  It felt very choppy to me, almost like each episode came from an alternate reality in which the previous episodes were slightly different.  For example, Ward's evolution was completely jerky (in more ways than one): was I supposed to believe that green liquid he was injected with contained a soul along with medication?  And was Joy replaced with a Skrull at the end?

And I actually got a little annoyed by everyone in the show telling me Danny Rand was a nice person when he really isn't.  It was like a kind of Mary Sue phenomenon where the show kept having to remind the viewer why we were supposed to like Danny.

I did like the character of Colleen Wing.  Her taste in men is completely bonkers, but otherwise she made sense to me as a character.

Iron Fist felt the most disjointed of all the Netflix series.  I didn't hate it, but there were many times I was annoyed by it.  And the parts that should have been the saving grace - the action/fight scenes - were very uneven.  Again, Colleen Wing's fights felt more real.  Many of Danny's felt too stilted and choreographed.  If I had to fight one of the Defenders, it would be him.  I can't take Daredevil, I can't begin to fight Jessica Jones, and I can't even injure Luke Cage.  I'm pretty sure I can read a fortune cookie to Danny Rand and when he bows I can bash him over the head with a library book.

They made it a point using Claire to point out that you have to be at least a little crazy to be a superhero.  But the things that drive DD, JJ, and LC are all amped up versions of understandable conflicts.  DD is a vigilante that believes the system should work for everyone.  That fundamental conflict is what tortures him and also drives him.  JJ is a recovering everything, someone that used to believe in being a hero before the tables were turned on her.  She doesn't believe in black and white anymore but a part of her still likes and wants to help people, even as the cynical part of her wants to drown that part in alcohol.  And Luke Cage is someone that distrusts the system and comes from a background that teaches the nail that sticks up gets hammered down, but comes to believe that some causes are worth fighting for.

I don't know who Danny Rand is supposed to be.  I know who his parents are.  I know where he came from, where he's been living for the last fifteen years.  I know he is arrogant, has a temper, believes he is superior to his peers, and acts on his own personal desires to the exclusion of all else.  Also, he's kind of an idiot.  Fundamentally, he is so easy to manipulate, so morally rudderless, so lacking in self control, I think he might actually be the poster child for why some people really shouldn't have special abilities.  Everyone who wanted something from him ended up getting it from him, often to the detriment of others.

Maybe I was supposed to recognize that Danny is a cipher because in many ways he is a child that hasn't had a chance to grow up yet.  If so, I don't think that was executed very well.  In my opinion, the show needed an anchor, and Danny Rand was not it.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2017, 02:06:31 AM »
I can agree with Arcana on almost every point (though really this Danny wasn't too far removed from the early one in the comics who was also a bit of a dope iirc) but I still liked it. This is the most disjointed of the Netflix shows but I'll still take this over, well, every non-Netflix superhero anything with the possible exception of JLU and the Dark Knight up to the point where Joker gets all explainy.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2017, 02:09:35 AM »
I liked Iron Fist precisely because it was not like the other offerings.
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2017, 04:06:25 AM »
I liked Iron Fist precisely because it was not like the other offerings.

Actually, I can appreciate that DD, JJ, and LC were all very distinct from each other.  But Iron Fist has some unflattering echos of Luke Cage.  I'm not a reductionist when it comes to art comparisons, but both Danny Rand and Luke Cage are trying to re-enter the world after being confined.  They find themselves in the middle of a power struggle involving relatives with a sibling dynamic.  They both struggle with the conflict of staying in New York or leaving the conflicts behind. 
Spoiler for Hidden:
They are both unexpectedly weakened by unusual weapons in similar ways.  They both discover they were betrayed by lovers.  There's even a major plot point involving a secret set of files that can exonerate the protagonist.

There are a lot of repeated beats that are a little too uncomfortably close for me.  There's a little bit of overlap with Daredevil, but you could look the other way given the unavoidable overlap of martial arts and the Hand.  But there isn't the same reason for there to be so much shared DNA with Luke Cage.  I would think the IF people would actually watch the other series and specifically try to avoid any resemblance to them.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2017, 04:34:00 AM »

CG

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2017, 08:05:29 PM »
I watched the first episode, but didn't find Danny all that likeable, nor the show that compelling.  From reviews, it sounds like it drags a lot.  Does anyone have recommendations for some key episodes that would be good to watch and catch the high points or major events?

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2017, 10:23:42 PM »
just skip it and read spoiler-rich summaries?

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2017, 08:50:47 AM »
I watched the first episode, but didn't find Danny all that likeable, nor the show that compelling.  From reviews, it sounds like it drags a lot.  Does anyone have recommendations for some key episodes that would be good to watch and catch the high points or major events?

It is not really that kind of show.  There are several different plot threads for which a lot of small background is laid and then there's a payoff down the road.  Watching the payoff alone will be confusing.

At best, I can say that for the most part you could watch the last six episodes and get the gist of the most important parts of the main plot.  Also most of the best action.